Register

Volty Pics Late Summer/Early Fall 2014

Time for another installment of "Pictures with Volty"

I haven't done any for awhile----I am posting some photos of some of my travels in the past month or so----mostly down in Kentucky ranging from Northern Kentucky down into the Bluegrass region not far out of Lexington, KY. A few photos at the end are from an inland lake in western Ohio.

This first group comes from a favorite place, Rabbit Hash, Kentucky which is a neat place not too far from Cincinnati located along the Ohio River. The general store has been in continuous operation since 1831 in spite of having suffered many floods over the years.

This next set were taken out on the roads of northern Kentucky.

Taken on a state operated ferry on KY ST RT 169 that crosses the Kentucky River

These next few were taken at The Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill--which is just south of Lexington. This was one a number of the remaining settlements started in the 19th Century by the Shaker Sect. It is a living history destination. You can stay there, which I did one night. They have a great restaurant there and you can learn about the way the Shakers lived.

Finally--some photos taken at sunset along an inland lake in western Ohio.

As usual--I hope that most of those who view these---like this little diversion from the usual stuff on the forum.

Re: Volty Pics Late Summer/Early Fall 2014

Great Volty

Since I was posting photos---I decided to share some from a sojourn back down in Kentucky from August 2013----these are some photos taken at the Maker's Mark Bourbon Distillery in Lorretto, KY. For those who are into good old Kentucky Bourbons----which are absolutely blowing up right now----but might not be able to make it to one of the many distilleries now operating all over Kentucky and elsewhere now---Maker's Mark----is in a region they call "The Bardstown Bourbon Trail." Bardstown, KY is the heart of the bourbon producing area of the state.

I know that tobacco is actually a pretty nasty plant, but growing it is such a part of the history of this part of the country---the plant still fascinates me. In one way its not a good thing its still grown, but in another, it will be a shame that such an important crop for the people in this region will one day be gone--I am still glad from that perspective to see it still being grown.

Last edited by 12voltyV2.0; Oct 18, 2014 at 1:59 AM.

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT TRIP. GREAT PICS...
    Never let the adults know what you are doing...

Damn, Volty! You really should be a travel host!!

I'm a Floridian, but I lived in Kentucky for 30 years and have been to many of the places you showed. Those photos set me in a nostalgic mood.

I loved those old country stores and used to visit one west of Brandenburg, Ky.

You could get a bologna sandwich (BLONY SAMMICH) for 15 cents! It was a thick slice of bologna, between two crackers...a squirt of mustard was free! The stuff hanging on the Walls and shelves were visions into the past.

Great state, great folks, even if they do march to the beat of a different drummer!

They make the best whiskey in this country, too!

One of my uncles owned a general store much like that in Paynesville, MO. When he passed away the store did too. Quite a loss to the tiny community.

I hate them you munt!! :-P. i didnt know you had a moustache either!!! ouch!! lmao

very nice pictures. Do you have any of yourself?

Volty, is that your red bike?

Great crusin' in Kentucky, Southern Indiana..............Didn't venture into Ohio on my bike, tho.

Wow, these are very nice. Thank you for sharing. I have a photo I took from down in VA., it is an uncanny photo. What makes it uncanny is someone had taken nearly exactly the same photo in the early 1960's. Not much even in the landscape had altered. I took my photo around 2000 or so. It is a photo of a grain mill along the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. I used to go to the river bank in that area and fish with grandparents, uncle and on my own. Our family also used to do dip netting during the Spring runs of the perch. We would catch trout right down in back of the mill, the water there remained colder and we could angle fish the trout out. Again, thanks for sharing your pictures.

I always love the pictures you post. I wish mine would be half as good.
    JEM

Well--I know that when you turn on the headline news--there ain't hardly a damn thing that is not some terrible shitstorm taking place---Ebola, ISIL, politics, Ferguson, Mo, Putin and his shenanigans, North Korea and their whacko current "dear leader," Iran, crazy-assed weather and what have you----so it is good every once in awhile to sit back, take a breath and think about it--even with all the shit going on----it's still a pretty damn good world for the most part and life is still worth living.

I am happy that I am blessed to be able to take the time and do my little "backroad rambles" as a I do and get to enjoy some pretty and interesting places, meet some neat folks and just generally get to take it all in.

Glad that everyone enjoyed the photos.

I will be in the road in a few days, headed back to Florida, so I am gonna do some more "rambles" down that way.

Realist--no--that is not my bike--but man--sure wished it was---even though if I were to get another one----I think I'd take a gander at getting one of those new Indians over a Harley---I like that they got that "old school" look--but are throughly modern bikes when it comes to their mechanicals---smooth running mechanicals----I don't think I would care to much anymore to have my bones rattled like a Harley does--unless you get a V-Rod.

I do need a "fun vehicle" for running around in Florida on nice cool to warm, clear sunny days----and I think I am gonna look for some sort of convertible---maybe get a four or five year old Mustang or something along those lines. Don't even need a GT or other model with a big V-8--just get something with a nice V-6 or turbo-charged four banger.

A Mazda Miata might be fun too.

I have been spending a lot of time down in Louisville this past summer. Louisville is a great city for having a number of very cool neighborhood sections that are filled with all sorts of neat restaurants, bars, boutiques, antique shops and what have you. In this one such section--I would go by this really cool "bar" that was basically a semi open building, that you could see this great bar in it, highlighted by strings of those old timey large colored Christmas lights. The place also has a nice big patio out back and on most nights the place is pretty well packed. The cool neon sign on the building has it's name: The Silver Dollar and complete with the establishment's tag line: "Whiskey By The Drink."

About a month back---I finally made time to pay the place a visit and oh man----I was instantly smitten with the place---I sat at that great long bar and spent at least a half an hour trying to figure what I was going to drink.

In this part of Kentucky--the heart of "Bourbon Country"----many bars and restaurants have come to carry a large selection of bourbons thanks to the explosion of incredible Kentucky Bourbons that are now out there. The Silver Dollar is just such a place and they have bourbons that run from a low of a few bucks per shot up to $100 for a selection by Booker Noe.

That night---I had a few "Whiskey By The Drinks" of different bourbons and both were great. On a third recent visit--I had a true drink of Louisville, A hand made Mint Julep.

Along with carrying a dazzling variety of Kentucky Bourbons---the bar staff are all trained in the art of making cocktails of all sorts by hand--another great trend in America to go back to making classic and new cocktails with fresh made juices, simple syrup and other components "by hand."

On a third visit---I had a "Kentucky Mule" which is a great and spicy cocktail thanks to it containing fresh made ginger juice.

I also ate there for the first time and the food was also fine---their food, along with everything else is definitely old school down home southern road house style.

It's probably a good thing I don't live in the Louisville area, I'd probably die early from making my way through their food, cocktail and bourbon menus!!

What is crazy----on all three occasions--I either did not think to bring either my actual camera with me or my smartphone having to leave it back in the car to be recharged, so I don't have any photos of my own (kicking myself in the ass for those oversights), but I am adding the link to their site and if you care to---check it out. They have some photos and pages of their drink and food menus.

One of the other things I love about the place is the music they spin---old school "Bakersfield sound" played on actual VINYL RECORDS. To me---this place is nirvana!! I could not have created a better drinking and eating place myself---I bow down to the owners of this place--they have made a totally wicked place to partake of good food, drink and music.

http://www.whiskeybythedrink.com

While the town does not seem to have all that big a gay/lesbian scene and surely no clear bisexual scene either--Louisville is a great town to pay a visit to since the town has scores of great places to eat and drink--with many creative chefs offering some kick ass food in a wide variety---there is a chain of Cuban restaurants owned by one family in town that offers Cuban food as good or better than anything I had when I lived down in Miami.

There are also plenty of upper scale, fine dining places both local and national. A few of them include a local place called The Bourbon Bistro, a Ruth Chris Steakhouse and the Maker's Mark Lounge and Restaurant.
    Last edited by 12voltyV2.0; Oct 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM.

nice pics.
    wish I was on vacation.
    far away from the same ol' same.
    not working.
    in a peaceful, quiet place, like the pics you posted.

Very nice pics Volty....is that your "Road Glide" ?

OOPS should've read your response to Realist LOL....still a pretty ride though...gotta take my Victory down there sometime,,,
    Last edited by DrBimind; Oct 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12voltyV2.0 View Post
    Well--I know that when you turn on the headline news--there ain't hardly a damn thing that is not some terrible shitstorm taking place---Ebola, ISIL, politics, Ferguson, Mo, Putin and his shenanigans, North Korea and their whacko current "dear leader," Iran, crazy-assed weather and what have you----so it is good every once in awhile to sit back, take a breath and think about it--even with all the shit going on----it's still a pretty damn good world for the most part and life is still worth living.
    Every now and then we all need to be reminded of that. Thanks for that and the great pics.