Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it possible to be bisexual and conservative?

I am an African american bisexual female. Single, 31 years old. Although I am bisexual, I'm still somewhat conservative. (Not just talking about politically but being conservative on somewhat of a public level). Inwardly I have a somewhat liberal view of sex, but outwardly conservative, if that makes sense.

I was replying back to a member on here, we were talking about first time experiences and I was telling him that I have lots of fantasies! Lots!

But in reality I am still very conservative, which is crazy because I am atheist. I love chatting and PM a lot of the same sex seeking men and women on this website. Back in the early 2000's I used to think that men were either straight or gay, that there was no in-between. Even though I am atheist, if I was in a relationship with a man (or even a woman) I would probably still go to church with him or her. I believe that no matter what a person believes in, they should stick together and have a united front. I think its all about compromise.

But I believe that people, when they seriously date and marry, should stick with their own kind racially and culturally. I don't think its good to intermix. I have friends who are biracial and they have major issues
    . I think people of different races, culture and languages should be able and allowed to enjoy eachother without permanently and biologically crossing culture and racial lines.

I like chatting with bisexual (and same sex seeking) men, and having deep discussions, but I don't know if I could be in a serious relationship or marriage with one. I feel that in my case, its best for me to be with a man who is 100% straight.

Does this make me prejudice? I know a lot of people would say that I am a hypocrite because I go both ways.
    Last edited by Ebonybifemme7; Aug 21, 2014 at 1:16 AM.

Re: Is it possible to be bisexual and conservative?

The answer to your question is YES! I am both!
    Yman48

Finally, a fucking meaningful discussion!

Beware you might get flamed for this thread, everybody be NICE!

In this world you gotta be what makes you happy. Life too fucking short to waste time on not being happy. I blinked when I was 35 and now I am 50. I appreciate people have their own values, I have my own, but I have made choices other people haven't in my life. I am an atheist as well, but I used to be a conservative gun toting Christian before I toted a gun for Uncle Sam. I grew up in a conservative Christian household.
    (((((((Paradigm shift))))))))
    I woke up and shed most everything I ever believed in before I went to war.
    I found out I really was bisexual, I shed a marriage, a career and a religion. I changed utterly. So much it took a year just figure out who I was.
    Mostly, I stopped giving a fuck about what other people thought!

Conservative has many connotations, to me what your saying is your values are conformal to the man you're with. You want to blend in. But my question is, how does being bisexuality fit in to your sexuality after you aren't single? What if your church going future straight husband doesn't agree with bisexuality on religious grounds? Then you have an ethical dilemma.

My point of all that about me above was that I had to learn to be me. I had to learn to shed the expectations of others and be myself. Find a man that accepts you, who appreciates you. You don't have to lose yourself to be whatever they want. Don't compromise yourself for anyone. Put whatever label on it you want, be yourself. Look honestly at the labels you use to describe yourself, those words define your character. Look at what conservative means to you, maybe traditional is more accurate, maybe submissive is more apt, maybe you gotta look further? You can be bisexual and conservative in manner and even some values. But you have to be careful not to disappear, conservative folks of most any color aren't real receptive to bisexual folks. Especially church going conservative folk. They think we are possessed by the devil to go forth and fornicate. Which I guess we are, and we rather enjoy it,

Remember, you're just as entitled to be bi as any partner has to be what they are. And who you marry and who you fuck doesn't always have to be the same person. It s all about your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonybifemme7 View Post
    I am an African american bisexual female. Single, 31 years old. Although I am bisexual, I'm still somewhat conservative. (Not just talking about politically but being conservative on somewhat of a public level). Inwardly I have a somewhat liberal view of sex, but outwardly conservative, if that makes sense.

I was replying back to a member on here, we were talking about first time experiences and I was telling him that I have lots of fantasies! Lots!

But in reality I am still very conservative, which is crazy because I am atheist. I love chatting and PM a lot of the same sex seeking men and women on this website. Back in the early 2000's I used to think that men were either straight or gay, that there was no in-between. Even though I am atheist, if I was in a relationship with a man (or even a woman) I would probably still go to church with him or her. I believe that no matter what a person believes in, they should stick together and have a united front. I think its all about compromise.

But I believe that people, when they seriously date and marry, should stick with their own kind racially and culturally. I don't think its good to intermix. I have friends who are biracial and they have major issues
    . I think people of different races, culture and languages should be able and allowed to enjoy eachother without permanently and biologically crossing culture and racial lines.

I like chatting with bisexual (and same sex seeking) men, and having deep discussions, but I don't know if I could be in a serious relationship or marriage with one. I feel that in my case, its best for me to be with a man who is 100% straight.

Does this make me prejudice? I know a lot of people would say that I am a hypocrite because I go both ways.
    You are so right about marrying someone who shares your political and religious beliefs.The older you get, the more important those are!

Are you being prejudiced?No, I think you’re just being honest, not only with your potential partners but, with yourself.

It’s always puzzled me how so many swingers are so far to the right.Like you, I’d think that someone so uninhibited sexually, would be more liberal.The fact is, sexual desires and activities have little to do with beliefs outside of the bedroom (s).

I do think that you should think more about limiting your choice for a life’s partner to 100% straight.If you enjoy bisexuals being friends, you might enjoy one for a life partner too.If you think that a lifetime relationship doesn’t have to be monogamous, then consider all applicants that meet your political and religious requirements.

Good luck to you!J
    I've worn a beret, a badge, and a suit and tie. Now I prefer wearing nothing!

Most men, at one time or another, have wished they could suck their own cocks.
    A real man, admits he'd like to suck other cocks

lol the idea that staying with our own race and cultures would work in theory.... if we were not already mixed bloodlines in the first place....... sure I am full blooded scottish but I live in a different country to scotland.... and a european person may have traces of other races in them.... so I embrace that idea that race purity is not something I can going to worry about..... and to be honest, I find asian people interesting, the same with native american indian, people of african descent, abboriginals from australia... and its more to do with their mannerisms, cultures and foods rather than the color of their skin ......

do I think its possible to be conservative and bisexual... sure.... you like men and women and in your heart you would enjoy both and more than just one of each....but in public, you not really be comfortable with the idea and having a different partner on your arm every week....... not everybody is poly free and ok with showing the world that....

and as for your relationship..... you know what is best for you in your life...... live life for you.... not for those that want you to live life for them
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

yes you can I see no reason
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!

Yeah I know that people are mixed from past generations, but for the most part people are one color at least on the surface, I don't think races should mix.

I am a racial realist.

As a bisexual woman of color, I am a 3rd class citizen.

But anyways, this shit is too draining...let me log off.
    Last edited by Ebonybifemme7; Aug 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM. Reason: Had to add some after thoughts.

Yeah I know that people are mixed from past generations, but for the most part people are one color at least on the surface, I don't think races should mix.

I am a racial realist.

As a bisexual woman of color, I am a 3rd class citizen.

But anyways, this shit is too draining...let me log off.
    Is that what it's all about?: That as a 3rd class citizen (in your view) you don't think you should marry above your station?

I was wondering how you got the impression that marrying someone of your own race, religion, nationality etc would somehow avoid major issues. I can't even guess how many people do that and still get probs.lol
    YES it would make sense to go for compatibility, but those things hardly guarantee it do they?

So what's going on in Wisconsin that puts you down as a 3rd class citizen, and how comes you care about that anyway?
    "You're like my yo-yo, that glowed in the dark. What made it special, made it dangerous. So I bury it, and forget.":Kate Bush

I think that it depends upon what conservative means to you. In your country, you use conservative in a manner that political Canadian Conservatives do not dare support. No one is going to get elected in Canada promoting the destruction of medicare and cancelling same sex marriage equality rights. Even conservatives in Canada accept this. There were some minorities in Canada that did not want to support same sex marriage based on religious beliefs. They realized that equality for minorities can not be picked or rejected politically if that minority also wants equality based of another freedoms such as religion. Now, there are extremists by Canadian values who would match your Tea Party types. Are they Conservatives or extremist though? I think that they are extremists. I think that in your country some extremists of them fall under the banner of Republican...not all though. Our progressive extremists concerning marijuana are becoming more centrally accepted. The conservatives still do not support such legalization but will quietly support same sex marriage equality because they know that the constitution does not permit such radical positions.

I think that you may be progressive and supportive of sexual equality and still be a fiscal conservative. I would think that to perceive yourself as a third class citizen and accepting of such discrimination based on gender and race is beyond conservative to me. It seems like you would be supporting discrimination that personally impacts you. You could object and fight for equality and still want some aspects of politics as not progressive.
    Last edited by tenni; Aug 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM.

'Course its possible.. many conservatives r bi or gay...wetha its wise is anotha matta... conservatism and bisexuality r not always easy bedfellows... conservative prejudice creates much angst in many of my (gay) and your (bi) kind... worse if we add religion in2 the mix....

Bisexual or gay Cons shud know the cure.. stop being conservative... dusn't do ya ne gud...
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

I think it's possible to be both from a fiscal standpoint, but not a social. That's takes some self loathing that I really have no energy for. As a bi-ethnic, pagan straight female with an Anglo bisexual catholic husband, it's not always an easy road, but it is certainly not boring. And I couldn't think of a more wonderful person to take the journey with.

hell, if we can make it, anyone can. But conservative? Not possible for us.
    Last edited by Ja&Ve; Aug 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM.

It s easy for us white folks to talk about prejudice, we've rarely been the object of such angst unless we are openly gay. People pick and choose their prejudices like they're picking food on a buffet. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that I should hate much of anyone. I disagree with some but I don't hate them. Our political climate has digressed to the point of gun nuts carrying automatic weapons in McDonalds and the mall, and cops killing unarmed kids on the streets. I can see as a bisexual woman of color how you'd feel discriminated against, as a bisexual woman even black folk have their leering stares for people of alternative sexuality. Not fitting into the heteronormative group makes even race a negating factor of group identity. Feeling like 3rd class citizen is understandable but not something I feel you should simply accept and allow. Standing up for yourself is imperative, accepting the lot handed you because you fit into a minority within a minority is allowing those who would judge you victory in subjugating you. All power( except for the power of the state) is illusory, accepting that someone has power over you hands them the keys to your self imposed cell. Being judged by others doesn't mean you have to accept that judgement into your life. You confine yourself when you accept that judgement. Individuals don't hold power over one another unless we accept that power, but by law no one person determines your fate, only you do. If you feel like you are being judged by others because of your sexuality, you don't have to be around people who judge you, get new friends, you don't HAVE to live around family or associate with them.

My own family is a bunch of Bible thumping Jesus freaks who have nothing better to do than sit in judgement of others. I don't associate with them, because they're bigots. I pick my friends carefully, because I want to associate with people who have views similar to my own. I stopped giving a fuck what other people thought about me and my sexuality or politics years ago. I still have friends, I still have some family I associate with, but those people accept me for who I am. Like me or leave, I don't have to accept judgement from others. My life is my own, the same as your life is your own. You don't have to allow people to judge you simply because they're family. They'll still be your family afterward but that doesn't mean you have to allow them the satisfaction of sitting in judgement over you to make them feel better. It seems to me you've accepted this lot and call yourself "conservative" in order to avoid being judged. Conformity only makes you disappear, accepting their judgement only makes you feel bad. You may feel like a 3rd class citizen, but that's because you let others make you feel that way. Pardon me, but fuck that! Be proud of yourself, you have no reason to be ashamed of being bisexual, or of being a black woman, those are all things to be proud of. And anyone that tries to make you feel ashamed is a problem. Be a racial realist if that's what you want to call yourself but never allow anyone to make you feel ashamed or less than anyone else.

I am both... very conservative socially and fiscally.

Granted, there are some conservative opinions that I don't agree with, and some liberal positions that I do agree with... but if I have to pick, I am much more conservative on the whole.

Our sexual identity has little to do with how we view the world and how we interact with it.

Of course!
    I'm ISSUE oriented not LABEL oriented.
    I'm PRO environment, pro choice, pro gay rights, etc.
    I'm also pro gun rights, pro less govt., pro close the border, pro lower taxes, pro national security.
    Basically do whatever you want BUT leave other people and their property ALONE!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bi2Bboring View Post
    It s easy for us white folks to talk about prejudice, we've rarely been the object of such angst unless we are openly gay. People pick and choose their prejudices like they're picking food on a buffet. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that I should hate much of anyone. I disagree with some but I don't hate them. Our political climate has digressed to the point of gun nuts carrying automatic weapons in McDonalds and the mall, and cops killing unarmed kids on the streets. I can see as a bisexual woman of color how you'd feel discriminated against, as a bisexual woman even black folk have their leering stares for people of alternative sexuality. Not fitting into the heteronormative group makes even race a negating factor of group identity. Feeling like 3rd class citizen is understandable but not something I feel you should simply accept and allow. Standing up for yourself is imperative, accepting the lot handed you because you fit into a minority within a minority is allowing those who would judge you victory in subjugating you. All power( except for the power of the state) is illusory, accepting that someone has power over you hands them the keys to your self imposed cell. Being judged by others doesn't mean you have to accept that judgement into your life. You confine yourself when you accept that judgement. Individuals don't hold power over one another unless we accept that power, but by law no one person determines your fate, only you do. If you feel like you are being judged by others because of your sexuality, you don't have to be around people who judge you, get new friends, you don't HAVE to live around family or associate with them.

My own family is a bunch of Bible thumping Jesus freaks who have nothing better to do than sit in judgement of others. I don't associate with them, because they're bigots. I pick my friends carefully, because I want to associate with people who have views similar to my own. I stopped giving a fuck what other people thought about me and my sexuality or politics years ago. I still have friends, I still have some family I associate with, but those people accept me for who I am. Like me or leave, I don't have to accept judgement from others. My life is my own, the same as your life is your own. You don't have to allow people to judge you simply because they're family. They'll still be your family afterward but that doesn't mean you have to allow them the satisfaction of sitting in judgement over you to make them feel better. It seems to me you've accepted this lot and call yourself "conservative" in order to avoid being judged. Conformity only makes you disappear, accepting their judgement only makes you feel bad. You may feel like a 3rd class citizen, but that's because you let others make you feel that way. Pardon me, but fuck that! Be proud of yourself, you have no reason to be ashamed of being bisexual, or of being a black woman, those are all things to be proud of. And anyone that tries to make you feel ashamed is a problem. Be a racial realist if that's what you want to call yourself but never allow anyone to make you feel ashamed or less than anyone else.
    Great post, look forward to another PM from me.

Loved all of your post, thanks.

I can agree with the masses on here, it's SO ok to be any way you want to be. It's the individuality that makes each of us unique and beautiful. I, like you, believe that racially it's better to stick to your own kind in a long term relationship, and I too have seen those that haven't have a very rough time with it, both within their relationship as well as socially. As a bisexual couple, (this is the wife typing this) we have a lot of issues that arise that have had to be worked out and discussed. We don't always agree on everything either, we can agree to disagree, but typically we find a middle ground that we both can live with.
    Embrace who you are and how you are to it's fullest. Never consider yourself a "third class citizen". Being unique is a gift, despite not feeling that way sometimes.
    Like many of the other postings on here, I came from a very conservative, über republican, old fashioned family that quite loudly and frequently, vocalized their views. Oh the mouthed quieted when I finally got the nerve to come out! I initially did to my on, and she insisted it was a "phase", but sternly told me not to tell my father, the ex marine. 8years later my sister wanted to blackmail me into doing something and when I refused, she went to my father and "outed" me. To this day he's never directly talked about it, but on several occasions has said "sweetie, I don't care who or what you are, all I know is you are MY daughter, you are brilliant, caring, and you are not only a fantastic daughter, but a fantastic mother and wife. Never doubt my love." From that point on, I was ok. I hope you can find that same inner peace and not worry what others around you might view you as.

In my experience, people's political beliefs usually follow their sociology independent of their sexual orientation. Politically active LGBT types have a certain amount of leftist politically correct regimentation, but they do not represent the great majority of gay or bi people who are regular folks.

I am both a well.. I think you are a well grounded person that thinks "things" through, and thoroughly. I also think that your sole and spirit are deep... so you may not be as much an atheist as you think. All in all, I think you are pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieknyc View Post
    In my experience, people's political beliefs usually follow their sociology independent of their sexual orientation. Politically active LGBT types have a certain amount of leftist politically correct regimentation, but they do not represent the great majority of gay or bi people who are regular folks.
    Jamie
    How do you know that a great majority of gay and bi people are regular folks? What makes a bisexual or gay person not a regular person?

Tenni,

Hey! hey! Listen here Mr! I am SOOOO not normal or regular! I'm all kinds of unique and well, um, yeah! So there. (Lmao)

Agreed WebothBbi, WE are exceptional! Why B normal? When I can be bi! Speaking in the royal WE, of course!

Given the distribution of people, the fact that at least one of them would be both bisexual and conservative would be inevitable. Your sexuality is only one characteristic of a whole person..

Oh wait, you don't mean politically conservative. You mean "introverted" ?

Oh yes, well because of my experience growing up, learning to trust people has sometimes been a challenge. The prospect of going to a party where I don't know a lot of people used to make me nervous; I felt as though they would be judging me or that I would say something stupid or I wouldn't meet their expectations. Of course, usually once I -actually go- to the party I usually enjoy spending time with people, but it's just getting over that initial fear.

I'm starting to realize more and more that people are people, you either love them or you don't and we all have strengths and weakness and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Last edited by elian; Aug 24, 2014 at 6:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
    'Course its possible.. many conservatives r bi or gay...wetha its wise is anotha matta... conservatism and bisexuality r not always easy bedfellows... conservative prejudice creates much angst in many of my (gay) and your (bi) kind... worse if we add religion in2 the mix....

Bisexual or gay Cons shud know the cure.. stop being conservative... dusn't do ya ne gud...
    I think the disconnect here is what "conservative" means. There are fiscal conservatives, social conservatives and religious conservatives. One can be bi or gay and dislike big government spending. There are constitutional conservatives here in the US that object to the expansion of federal power. I fall into that category. Never have been in legion with the "every sperm is sacred" pro-life religious crowd. I take the Glenn Beck view that marriage is a religious rite that is not the business of the state. Civil unions are state sanctioned and grant specific legal rights. Same sex couples and heterosexual couples should both have the right to civil unions.

As a lawyer, gay marriage/unions are great because that means gay divorces!

On a serious note, it is certainly possible to be a conservative of one stripe or another and be bisexual or gay. The fact I love to have another man's penis in my mouth or ass has no influence on my view of government structure, fiscal policy or military intervention.

I don't think race, sexual preference, gender or political views make some one conservative or not, each one of us are unique and different, THANK GOD , or your chosen higher power or what ever. if we were all the same I'd be bazooka barfing because we were all alike, makes no difference if we are brown skinned, white skinned or what ever, I am not beige I'm kind of olive thank you and I take each one on their own merits. OK I'll hop off the soap box and say yes you may be what ever you like because you are you, frankly I think you would be a great person to meet and talk with, just my 2 cents worth.

I am not politically conservative, or even a very far left socialist. However, yes people can be gay/lesbian/bi/trans, and be politically conservative.

Hmmm, my wife and I are different in some ways. She is conservative sexually and I am more "on the edge". I am politically liberal and she is apolitical, but probably more conservative. But what makes us so strong a couple is that our core values are so similar. We both strive to be good people. We both have big hearts. Even though we both are not part of organized religion, we are both spiritually centered. We both are capable of loving and receiving love. And there is a chemistry between us. We are drawn to each other. So even though we came from vastly different backgrounds, I would say that it has been a marvelous marriage of opposites.

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    Jamie
    How do you know that a great majority of gay and bi people are regular folks? What makes a bisexual or gay person not a regular person?
    Maybe you live in some insular gay community similar to the Chelsea section of Manhattan. I have no idea what your personal situation is. But in the big world outside those little LGBT bubbles, there are millions of gay, lesbian and bi people who live the same way as their heterosexual neighbors and are indistinguishable from them outside the bedroom. The huge majority of people on this site are like those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieknyc View Post
    Maybe you live in some insular gay community similar to the Chelsea section of Manhattan. I have no idea what your personal situation is. But in the big world outside those little LGBT bubbles, there are millions of gay, lesbian and bi people who live the same way as their heterosexual neighbors and are indistinguishable from them outside the bedroom. The huge majority of people on this site are like those, too.
    Thanks for the clarification. It does seem vague to use the term "regular" but I understand what you intended. I have no idea about the Chelsea section that you mention nor do I live in Toronto's gay village. Regular folks where I live accept same sex marriage as equal and legal. I do live in a more white bread city but I interact positively with my neighbours who are regular folks Muslim. She wears a head covering. Regular folks where I live do not carry guns even conservatives. Regular folks where I live are aware of discrimination and may even have experienced it but seem happy and peaceful. Regular folks where I live seem to elect what we call conservative politicians who believe and support (or accept at least) same sex marriage.
    Last edited by tenni; Aug 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM.

I can't label myself as conservative or liberal. I'm like from Chris Rock quote that there are things I'm liberal and conservative about.

I personally don't ascribe to labels, so be whatever you want to be, and be happy being it!!!!

There isn't anything 3rd class about who/what you are. Don't worry about not fitting in a box that someone else built to make themselves more comfortable with the way they and the world interact.