Register

Lesbians have more orgasms

Live and learn Opps Heterosexual men still win. Curious as to why bisexual men are the lowest male orgasm frequency? Do bi guys edge more that hetereo guys or? Your thoughts?

A recent study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine focuses on how sexual orientation associates with orgasm frequency in single men and women.
    Although responses from the male participants did not vary much based on sexual orientation -- heterosexual men reported an 85.5 percent orgasm rate, gay men 84.7 percent, and bisexual men 77.6 percent -- responses from women showed notable variation. While heterosexual women reported orgasming 61.6 percent of the time and bisexual women reported 58 percent, lesbian women had the highest orgasm rate at 74.7 percent.

In the study text, the researchers posit the higher lesbian percentage could be attributed to factors such as "self-identified lesbian women are more comfortable and familiar with the female body and thus, on average, are better able to induce orgasm in their female partners." Other reasonings include: length of the sexual encounter, attitude towards gender, sexual roles during intercourse and possible hormonal differences.

"Little is known about orgasm occurrences among women and men of varied sexual orientations across the adult lifespan," he said. "Understanding the factors that influence variation in orgasm occurrence among sexual minority populations may assist in tailoring behavioral therapies for those of different sexual orientations."
    Such a study could offer better insight into better orgasms for all couples, he said.

"Moreover, to the extent that lack of orgasm is seen as a common and unwanted problem, learning more about orgasm in same-sex relationships may inform treatment for men and women in both same-sex and mixed-sex relationships. Consequently, these findings may contribute to promotion of a more informed and positive sexual health care."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/19/lesbians-more-orgasms-straight_n_5691470.html
    Last edited by tenni; Aug 20, 2014 at 2:36 PM.

Re: Lesbians have more orgasms

Isn't Huff Post wonderful? I think the reasoning cited in this article is spot on, lesbian women are more familiar with the female body and female sexual response than others would be. It takes years of learning with a partner to be able to reach the levels a lesbian couple could achieve. Hyper sexual training can achieve great results but that takes time and learning as well. I'd be interested in learning how the data was collected and if there were techniques involved that other demographic groups didn't participate in. It isn't surprising that heterosexual men had the highest rate of orgasm. They're far more prone to masturbation and it's a bit telling that heterosexual women had one of the lowest rates. It probably says more about heterosexual men than women. I would also be interested to see if there were other study's that back this data up. Thanks for posting this Tenni.

I can't speak to the question posed by the OP as I am not a bi-male, but we have to be very careful with random statistics thrown abt without proper full context of the data gathering methodology and specifics of the parameters of the scenarios in which the data was collected. Also, this was purely self-reported making the numbers next to meaningless. People can and will say anything, especially on a web survey.

"Methods
    Data were collected by Internet questionnaire from 6,151 men and women (ages 21–65+ years) as part of a nationally representative sample of single individuals in the United States. Analyses were restricted to a subsample of 2,850 singles (1,497 men, 1,353 women) who had experienced sexual activity in the past 12 months."

What were the controls, who was surveyed, could participants respond more than once?

Plus this is only single people. I venture a survey of married couples would return vastly different findings. My experience has shown women like connection, perhaps reduction in orgasm % as single heterosexual women could correlate to the fact that they were single, maybe they would have higher rates as married women where they felt deeper connection, but lesbians having until very recently not had the luxury of being married are able to make connection without being married. Lesbians are noted for having fewer sexual partners, with more connected, committed relationships sooner than other sexual orientation groups, as opposed to gay men who tend to have many more sex only type encounters. This is why a "grindr" app for women failed miserably in the beta, but is very popular with gay men. The inverse could be hypothesized to be true for married heterosexual males, who in my experience frequently report feeling trapped and sexually unsatisfied after marriage. We just don't know because there was not a full comparative study done.

"Aim
    To assess orgasm occurrence during sexual activity across sexual orientation categories."

This at least puts the numbers into better context, but a larger story would include data relating and correlating frequency of sexual relations, types of sexual relations, (oral, anal, vaginal, combinations).

"Main Outcome Measures
    Participants reported their sex/gender, self-identified sexual orientation (heterosexual, gay/lesbian, bisexual), and what percentage of the time they experience orgasm when having sex with a familiar partner."

According to this methodology this SHOULD exclude solitary masturbation. But again, every person is going to answer based on their perception of what sexual activity with a familiar partner means.

Anyway ... I don't give this study much credit without having more details. Statistics are slippery and can never be taken at percentage value only.
    Last edited by Gypsy_Rose; Aug 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM.

Gypsy
    Thanks for the added input!!

Interesting interpretation. I've noticed a tendency of people from your country questioning scientific process. I do believe that self reporting is used extensively in sexuality studies and that goes back before or certainly during Masters & Johnson studies.

It only applies to the limits of the study questionnaire. All such studies questions have control factors.
    The controls seem to have been:
    Single men and women( transgender not specified)
    orgasm while with a partner.
    aged 21-65
    USA resident

This means that the results may not apply to other countries/cultures. Danes, Japanese, Russian etc. may have differing results or a study of those countries may give the same results. Similarly altering the control to a narrower age limit (40-65) may give differing results than say 21-39 may either support or alter the results.

You may be correct about interpretation of sexual activity. I did read that it referred to being with a familiar partner and so masturbation would be exclude.

Did you get to read the actual survey question?
    Last edited by tenni; Aug 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM.

i did not read the actual study, hence my questions. the high level details provided in the links i saw in the post are insufficient to make conclusive and absolute statements.

i do not question science or scientific method. i question sloppily presented statistics that can and are all too often manipulated to serve the agenda of the presenter(s).

without all the details, to simply say lesbians have more frequency of orgasms is absurd.

i simply caution jumping to conclusions and making assumptions with insufficient details.

(much as you have done about "people from my country" based on your random sampling, a conclusion that at least in regards to me was decidedly incorrect)

i would need more information to give these percentages any meaning, if they have any at all.