Register

Does this make you more cautious?

With the recent increase in news stories about murders and violent assaults from sites like Craig's List and other gay/bisexual sites, do any of you now take extra precautions before meeting up with someone from online? And if so what? Has it made you change the way you look at profiles? (i.e. No pics = no chance)

Re: Does this make you more cautious?

Frankly, I was kind of fearful before all the news stories. I kind of like to know the person before getting intimate. I guess that is why I never had an STD. That is also probably why I wouldn't use a site like Craigslist to find someone. You never know. I am also married and have a good wife, just no sex. I don't want to throw away my marriage just because of no sex. Though it does get frustrating. Extremely. Though curiousity did have me look on Craigslist.

Yes I'm very cautious and I've only used it for golf clubs

We never use Craigslist for sexual encounters, too many flakes and fakes. Craigslist is just for bartering some household items and an occasional sale. We keep our sexual encounters to folks we know or get to know WELL. We've been at this for a long time, we really don't consider ourselves "a lifestyle couple" because we don't fit that mold. Never had an STD or even a scare, because we are damn careful about who we play with. No NSA encounters, not our thing. We don't like hit and run sex. We like dinner, wine and good conversation, followed by repeated kinky fuckery. Our pool of participants has fluctuated in number over time but those committed to the practice never seem to be lacking. We always make sure we have a backup plan when we meet someone new, just in case. We have our ducks in a proverbial row, you get to know what works and what doesn't after a while. It just makes good sense.

I found one very nice guy there.It isn’t difficult to weed out the weirdos by the way they write an ad.And I’d never meet with anyone, from any source, without thoroughly vetting them through emails first.
    I've worn a beret, a badge, and a suit and tie. Now I prefer wearing nothing!

Most men, at one time or another, have wished they could suck their own cocks.
    A real man, admits he'd like to suck other cocks

I'm not fearful but even before Craigslist I would meet men and women in public, and talk to them first. If I did go off with them to have sex I made sure friends knew where we were going, and who I was with. I'm not promiscuous but often times I would meet a woman or man after talking to them on the phone first, or meet in public and they would want sex with me and I would just say no thanks.

When I have used the internet to meet people for sex or a relationship I did not use Craigslist since it is full of way too many sketchy people.

If someone does not want to trade pictures or talk on the phone before meeting I would never agree to meet with them.

Never used Craigslist, but, no I do not take any major security precautions before meeting someone new to me. If they are not weird online, then I am fine with meeting them, their place, my place or some other place. I have had nothing but good to great experiences.
    JEM

Quote Originally Posted by pole_smoker View Post
    If someone does not want to trade pictures or talk on the phone before meeting I would never agree to meet with them.
    Slightly different here. I asked my wife to marry sight unseen, meaning I had never seen so much as a picture. We talked via a web site IRC interface, then on private messenger known as ICQ. This talking lasted about three months. Then, she slipped up and called me her boyfriend. *chuckles* I was determined to not waste good.

We knew one another two years prior to marrying. We followed traditional family rule, her older sister had to marry first. Her father came to me in sorrow. "I have no dowry for her", he confessed to me. I assured him it was fine as I was not marrying her for gain except love. He had to pay dowry for the older sister.

Realizing this now, gives me pause of bemusement. *chuckles* Well, bid you due.

The only thing I use craigslist for is the "bestof" entertainment value - there are some true gems in there. I guess folks have actually used it successfully but to my mind there are too many scammers to make it worthwhile.

Typical Craigslist ad: "I am going to rent a hotel room this weekend to have anonymous sex with as many partners as possible - please bring your wallet flush with cash and leave all your illegal weapons at home.." Not really my idea of a good time.

Actually quite frankly I am just about to give up on "online" dating - the last guy I tried to "date" on cupid wanted phone sex, which I found to be a little awkward and unnerving with a COMPLETE STRANGER.

Every once in a while you find a really nice person but I find that there really isn't a substitute for getting to know the actual person in real life, developing a friendship, seeing if you have common interests, etc. Then again my needs may be different than some of you'all ..

I "get" online dating because frankly it can be hard to meet LGBT folks if you don't like the usual hang outs..
    Last edited by elian; Aug 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

Heck you can get ripped off from just trying to buy or sell something on CL. I don't use CL for anything...too dangerous basically because it is free and not much accountability. I would rather go through a site like this one if I was going to meet up although this one is free too but at least a few more requirements than an email address

I guess that I'm just good at vetting people. I've sold a camper and a boat in the past couple of years and the few emails, after the initial CL message, and doing some background searches on the folks, I'd have taken their checks without hesitation.

I do the same with men I meet and have had no problems.
    I've worn a beret, a badge, and a suit and tie. Now I prefer wearing nothing!

Most men, at one time or another, have wished they could suck their own cocks.
    A real man, admits he'd like to suck other cocks

I wouldn't meet anyone if the feeling wasn't mutual. That means knowing them well enough to feel comfy and make them feel that way as well. If you feel like you both need it NOW.......take a pass.