Register

FLUID bi photo exhibit at WorldPride: Kickstarter is on!

Join us in creating an international photography exhibition featuring the work of bisexual artists, for WorldPride 2014. Our Kickstarter fundraising campaign launched April 8th and we only have until May 7th at midnight to make it happen. Check it out at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/331432601/fluid.

FLUID is a photography exhibition showcasing the work of bi* identified artists from around the world. It will be held in June, 2014 as part of Toronto's WorldPride celebrations - an international gathering that celebrates the activism, education, history and culture of global LGBTQ communities. But this is more than an art exhibition. The gallery will be a supportive, creative, energetic hub that will be used for workshops, poetry readings, artist talks and more. For one month Toronto will have a "home away from home" for bisexuals.

Bi* artists continue to be underrepresented in the cultural landscape. So we booked a gallery space and put out a call for artists. We're building something amazing, an event that will be the first of its kind, and we want you to be a part of it! And as ridiculous as it sounds, some people still question the existence of bisexuality, both within the gay and lesbian community and in society at large. Visibility has never been more important.

We are trying to raise $4,000 to make this project a reality. Kickstarter is all or nothing, and if we don't raise the full amount we get nothing.

We very much appreciate your support and have some great incentives at every donation level - from limited edition photography, bellydance lessons, and portrait sessions to one-of-a-kind FLUID buttons and stickers.

Please help spread the word about our campaign and share with your friends and social networks.
    You can contact Catherine at fluidtoronto@gmail.com with any questions.

Re: FLUID bi photo exhibit at WorldPride: Kickstarter is on!

Congratulations on your efforts!

As a video artist who is bi, I wish that I knew about the project's Call before the deadline. I hope things go well and you remind us of the June exhibition dates when it is closer.

I've never used kickstarter/ crowd fund raiser. Can you expand on how it works. I get the idea that if you do not get the goal of $4, 000 that the money is given back to the donor. Does it use paypal, credit card or ?

Re: FLUID bi photo exhibit at WorldPride: Kickstarter is on!

Hi tenni,

I asked Catherine, my partner as well as one of the curators, and she said that she would love to hear from you at fluidtoronto@gmail.com. She would be interested in knowing more about your work!

As for Kickstarter, how it works is that when you become a backer, your pledge is not processed until the end of the 30-day campaign and only if it does reach its goal. If you were to, for example, use a credit card to pledge, it would not be billed until after May 7th. You don't donate any money right now. Kickstarter does not use paypal, but it does use VISA, Mastercard and American Express credit cards, as well as VISA and Mastercard-branded debit cards.