Register

Thread: Polyamory?

Question Polyamory?

So, I was recently approached with the idea of becoming involved in a poly relationship. One of my closest friends a Male-female-male mono-polyamory relationship. As someone who spent many years dating women almost exclusively I instantly wanted to be further involved in a polyamorous relationship. However, I do not think that my current partner would be okay with it. He may say that he is, but I feel like it would either directly or indirectly lead to the demise of our relationship. Help?

Re: Polyamory?

Polyamory certainly isn't for everyone, but it can be a recipe for a wonderful life.

When each person involved goes into it willingly, with open eyes and heart, it can be a fantastically loving and satisfying way to live.

In my experience, jealousy is one thing that will surely be the death of any poly relationship!

I've been involved in 3 poly relationships. One was unsuccessful, while to others were more rewarding than I ever expected.

Only you can know what is right, or not, for you, just as your partner will have to make up his mind as well.

Weigh the pros and cons, look within yourself and don't jump into anything before doing some research and soul-searching, first.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Arrow Re: Polyamory?

`

It's Poly for all....
    ....or none at all.

`

Not only the Best way to have it, But the
    "
    ONLY
    "
    way we would have it...
    But also must add that is not as easy to obtain as people may think..

Quote Originally Posted by MusicModelMichael View Post
    So, I was recently approached with the idea of becoming involved in a poly relationship. One of my closest friends a Male-female-male mono-polyamory relationship. As someone who spent many years dating women almost exclusively I instantly wanted to be further involved in a polyamorous relationship. However, I do not think that my current partner would be okay with it. He may say that he is, but I feel like it would either directly or indirectly lead to the demise of our relationship. Help?
    Poly isn't for everyone. I was in a poly relationship for 5 years. We lived as a poly fidelous triad. One of the most important rules to live by is absolute communications. This means that everyone involved in this relationship needs to communicate with all of the other partners. Secrets within the relationship is a poison pill. Second rule, live your poly, not someone else's version of it. You will find a plethora of people quick to point out that your relationship is not "true" poly because you don't do this or that. Live your chosen dynamic as you see fit. Third rule, see the first rule, communications. The one item that fosters jealousy among partners is the unknown, the secrets, the deceptions and the lies. These will quickly bring your relationship to a crumbling halt. Don't use poly as an excuse to cheat. Any new partners added to the family should be introduced to the other partners prior to commencing a relationship with that person. Don't use poly to foster swinging. Contrary to what you may have read, poly is not soft swinging. And finally, poly is not poly. Polyamory is not polygamy. While it may sound similar, they are different in many ways. Polygamy is where one lives as married to more than one spouse. Polyamory is loving more than one. Generally (not always) poly folks don't live as married to more than one spouse, but committed to more than one loving, consenting adults. I've researched alternate lifestyles for many years. I've experienced alternate lifestyles for over 37 years. I am not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    "Remember; if you can't resolve your conflicts with the power of the word...hit them with your laptop!"--© 1998 J.E. Benedict

I have just been approached by a woman 10 days ago to become a part of a polyamorous triad. She's made it very clear that for it to work out, we all share equally. She empahsized that she is not to be the main reason for the triad. She's straight but very much enjoys bi men. So it's expected that the 3 of us are to be on equal footing. She also said that the situation would allow others into the fold with our triad being the focus....It will be a first for me should I decide to go through with it...