Register

New Site Feature: Personal Ads Location

We added a new feature to the site today. Each personal ad has a location associated with it now and when you search the ads you also have a location that you can change (on a map) that corresponds to the center of your search. The ads are sorted by distance from whatever location you set (closest first of course). You can change your location under Control Panel > Edit Personal Ad. Each user who had an ad as of today has had a default location set for their ad that is about the center of the area in their user profile - a very general approximation of where you are. Those of you with personal ads will want to change your location from our best guess. That location also becomes your default location when you search the ads yourself, so setting it accurately has the advantage that when you go to the search ads you don't need to adjust your search location there.

NOTE 1: This only affects those users with personal ads.

NOTE 2: Your location is never shown to other users. Users only see the distance between their location and yours.

Click to test drive the new Bisexual Personal Ads Search page

One of the big advantages of this is that your personal ad search is no longer limited to particular geographic areas, so for example if you are in New Jersey and search, you will now see ads for New York and Pennsylvania and other nearby areas - ordered by closest ads first. So it is borderless now. Bisexuals Without Borders?

Let me know if you experience any bugs (I expect there to be a few) and have any feedback.

- Drew
    Last edited by Drew; Apr 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Re: New Site Feature: Personal Ads Location

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    We added a new feature to the site today. Each personal ad has a location associated with it now and when you search the ads you also have a location that you can change that corresponds to the center of your search. The ads are sorted by distance from whatever location you selected (closest first of course). You can change your location under Control Panel > Edit Personal Ad. Each user who had an ad as of today has had a default location set for their ad that is about the center of the area in their user profile - a very general approximation of where you are. Those of you with personal ads will want to change your location from our best guess. That location also becomes your default location when you search the ads yourself, so setting it accurately has the advantage that when you go to the search ads you don't need to adjust your search location there.

NOTE 1: This only affects those users with personal ads.

NOTE 2: Your location is never shown to other users. Users only see the distance between their location and yours.

Click to test drive the new Bisexual Personal Ads Search page

One of the big advantages of this is that your personal ad search is no longer limited to particular geographic areas, so for example if you are in New Jersey and search, you will now see ads for New York and Pennsylvania and other nearby areas - ordered by closest ads first. So it is borderless now. Bisexuals Without Borders?

Let me know if you experience any bugs (I expect there to be a few) and have any feedback.

- Drew

Hi Drew,

Thanks for making this site better and better. I really does show.

Belle in Boston

They are all the same distance when I checked mine, 32.72km. Also can you get that in miles instead.

Quote Originally Posted by first time guy View Post
    They are all the same distance when I checked mine, 32.72km. Also can you get that in miles instead.
    1. Most of them are the same because everyone close to you has had their location set to the same default to start (the geographic center of the area in your profiles). You should change your location (if you haven't yet), and as others do as well, you will begin to see different distances for different people/ads.

2. There is a selector for miles/km under the map. The system will remember your selection, so change it to miles once and hit the Search button and you will be good to go.

- Drew
    Last edited by Drew; Apr 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM.

Thanks for the kind words Belle!

- Drew

Great Job Drew Thanks

Thanks Jack!

- Drew

Great improvement! Now another issue: I find that when I click on Groups, often a group that supposedly had a new post today actually has only old posts. Any way to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by FullSpectrum View Post
    Great improvement! Now another issue: I find that when I click on Groups, often a group that supposedly had a new post today actually has only old posts. Any way to fix that?
    Yes, what is happening is it is telling you that the group has been "updated", in the sense that it has new members, not necessarily that it has new posts. Let me think about that one. We can probably change that, and probably should. I see your point.

- Drew

I'm new here Drew, but I want to add my thanks to you for the great site.

Thanks Mike and all.

- Drew

Awesome !!!