Register

2013 Pay Raise for Congress

Can you believe this low life group is getting a pay raise on March 27th? They can't do what they were elected to do yet they get a pay raise. They want cuts in spending yet they pass a pay raise. It has already been signed. Very little in the media letting us know about this. I just wondered if we are the only ones who see something wrong with this picture? $175,000.00 to not get your job done????
    Treat her like a thoroughbred and you will never have a nag.

Re: 2013 Pay Raise for Congress

lol it sounds like NZ, the government got a xmas pay rise, but its being back dated to july as well..... and if the existing numbers are anything to go by, the NZ government is paid the same if not MORE than your guys,

either way, its the same thing, talk about spending cuts, lack of funding, looming recessions and other issues.... then they get a pay rise, while telling us to tighten our belts....
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

As i understand the President has signed it- Everyone in Washington should be sent home & their pay docked for the incompetiency they have shown in the last 2 years. Remember who we elected - when you get your next paycheck- a person earning $50k will see $1,000 less due to Social Security Increase that was voted not to stay at lower rate. Remember.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckerjoe50 View Post
    when you get your next paycheck- a person earning $50k will see $1,000 less due to Social Security Increase that was voted not to stay at lower rate. Remember.
    ...yes, you'll see $1000 less (in a year)...so that the system can stay solvent enough that maybe you'll see some of that money when you retire. Good point...it's important to remember that.

Not quite sure what it has to do with a bunch of scheisters giving themselves a pay raise when so many of us are seeing static income, or even decreases if not outright unemployment.

But yes...remember that the only way out of tough financial times is austerity and perseverence.
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

Not to mention their pensions which they will receive. One term and they get 100% of their annual pay for the rest of their lives. Here in Illinois they took 9.4% of the annual salaries of the state workers and spent it on pet projects, didn't fund it as they constitutionally were required to do. Then they villanize these workers and tell them we cannot afford it now. I've been of the thought that if you take something from someone and don't pay it back that's stealing. They should all be thrown in jail and all assets they have taken away and put back in the system. Furthermore they can bail out the banks tees on wall street, subsidize BIG oil and overspend on the pentagon but cannot fund education and social programs that help the needy. BS

Congressional pay raise problems are more symbolic than anything. You can get mad at them but really its not that much of a problem. Also, they are doing their jobs; their jobs aren't to always pass bills and such but rather represent a constituency that is as divided and as dysfunctional as the Congress itself. I for one have no problem with their pay raise. Most people would vote to give themselves a pay raise, why not Congress?

To me, this has always been a ridiculous issue to get mad about. Its simplistic and doesn't deal with our real problems.

Also I know I'm in a very slim minority.

Also, all the ranting aside, they don't get paid a lot of money. People complain about the Congress being a millionaires' club, but part of the reason for that is that those who aren't independently wealthy end up leaving office over the salary.

Not millionaires, no.

But
    Rank-and-File Members:
    The current salary (2011-2012) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.
    That salary doesn't sound bad to me. It would go a fair way in DC, and much further in many home states. I know there are expenses associated with simply *being* in Congress, including maintaining 2 households. But I can understand someone struggling to get by on 30k or less, or who has been out of work for a few months being a little put off by a raise in this kind of money, given the value we perceive we get from such people.

And I would say that if someone leaves because that's not enough money, then we should be glad they left...it would seem to be an indication that their motivations for being in office weren't what we might hope for an elected official.
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

Quote Originally Posted by jamieknyc View Post
    Also, all the ranting aside, they don't get paid a lot of money. People complain about the Congress being a millionaires' club, but part of the reason for that is that those who aren't independently wealthy end up leaving office over the salary.
    Jaime,
    You are correct. As a divorced father, I have to maintain 2 households, because my ex won't get a real job. However, when it comes to Congress, they do no earn what they make. They make good money, yes, but that is only part of the battle. They do not pass the bills and reject the bills they need to and they take too damned long for the bills that they do manage to pass.
    Most importantly, they are the only idiots in the country that will not end up in jail for insider trading. THAT is why so many go there poor and come out rich.
    - Falcon -

Wherever you go ... there you are.
    Be yourself ... Everyone else is taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika L View Post
    Not millionaires, no.

But

That salary doesn't sound bad to me. It would go a fair way in DC, and much further in many home states. I know there are expenses associated with simply *being* in Congress, including maintaining 2 households. But I can understand someone struggling to get by on 30k or less, or who has been out of work for a few months being a little put off by a raise in this kind of money, given the value we perceive we get from such people.

And I would say that if someone leaves because that's not enough money, then we should be glad they left...it would seem to be an indication that their motivations for being in office weren't what we might hope for an elected official.
    The current salary (2011-2012) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.
    Even if me & the wife worked, we'd be lucky to see 11k per annum, at best. 174k per year sounds a
    damn sight better than below federal poverty standards. And they're getting a raise, while also
    letting milk prices soar come September? Pardon me but Christ on crutches! And everyone
    just laughs when I tell them, same old song, different refrain but same song. Riiiiight.

No, I'm not anywhere near insane yet.

they make 175,000 per year and that is base salary. that does not include the committees they are on or join which can be numerous and they get paid for all. they get paid to be in think tanks where all they do is drink coffee? and shoot the bull and never solve anything. they just got caught last year where the congress was legally allowed to make money on insider trading all this time until the people got upset and started a writing campaign to get it stopped by law. crooks is a polite word for them. many were going in poor and coming out rich. then they join corporation borads to give the companies their inside info on congress and what to do.

Least our MPs had the sense to freeze their pay over the last few years... and the PM... not that it matters.. not 2 many really just on MPs money and expenses to live on even tho it is not unknown for them to pop in a few illegal claims and end up in nick... I reckon the unemployed and even peeps who earn 35 thou plus as I and my partner do would be dead happy at having a hundred thou quid plus expenses to live off.. dead comfy they wud be...plus interview fees...news columns etc etc etc.. few kick backs from companies... individuals.. even countries... they're not short of a bob.... most have other jobs.. part time sure...but part time few hours a week and 20-50 grand a year isnt nowt....and the rest... triff pension when they finish... wud luff to be benefiting from that lil lot and am actually quite well off compared to mos in our society.... 1 thing I am sure of...the law should tell MPs and if u like senators and congressmen that they have a job.. one job... and shud not be able to benefit from being bunged by other powerful outside interests...they work as our MPs, Congressmen, Senators.. and no 1 else.... or they shud...
    Last edited by darkeyes; Jan 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM.
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

...am luffly...wotcha mean a nihilist/
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Szeppelin View Post
    You sleep in a mental coffin, and are not better than an interview with a vampire.
    aaaahh babes we all have our own view... just keep urs a lil less closed.. u will feel better...

When Vice President Biden, was a simple Senator from the good state of Deleware, he took the train home each weekend, or even, weekday....not maintaining a residence in VA or the DC area.
    Probably at taxpayer expense in the parlance of federal travel vouchers. Even soldiers can use these as federal employees, I would know that from once being a soldier.

I also know that Paul Ryan, Congressional Budget Chairman, and former VP candidate, sleeps on a couch in his office; not holding a seperate residence in the DC area. These are just two examples, of bipartasian relations of our members of Congress, to use as examples.
    I was not seeking any examples of politicians seeming to play nice with one another. I was commenting upon their salaries being so much greater so than my current station in life financially. Obviously the facts speak loudly, concisely enough to bear out my criticism. Further, it does elucidate that I'm nearly as insane as could be thought.

Conversely, I could care less that politicians can appear to play nice together, less than I care of the dimples on an anus of a murinae rattus. To me they are all bunch of overpaid lying, self serving, lawyers or corporate chairs that will continue distorting and belaying progress at every turn and deserving of being shot should one of their suits awash itself upon our property. Although, I would so hate to waste a plug nickel of money on the led for a bullet. And this is not a threat but merely a statement of aversion of such leeches. Ick!

It's just another example of "rich keep getting richer, poor get porer still". Same song as ever. I have a right and privilege to express my frustration at such a system. Have said before, let's just burn all money up and go to a resource based economy based upon barter if you like, or just make access to everything free and open to everyone on the planet at no cost whatever. Nah, that'd be too simple, too ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Szeppelin View Post
    You sleep in a mental coffin, and are not better than an interview with a vampire.
    Oh, wow such wit. I almost feel out of my chair due to the thirty year old reference to an expose on human hunger. It was rather ironically sterile and delivered just shy of deadpan, not. Frankly, I would presume an evening of tales with an alleged immortal would be fascinating. But I'm a bit warped like that I guess.

Oh and Fran isn't the nihilist, she actually has human compassion and desire to see global peace. I on the other hand ... well, what will be will be even should it be nothing.
    Last edited by void(); Jan 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM.