Register

Thread: bi or bisexual

bi or bisexual

So I identify as bisexual for the most part. I'm a woman by the way. I'm sexually and emotionally attracted to women. I'm emotionally attracted to men. Within that, I'm way more into women than men. I've seen a lot of definitions of bisexuality and they claim that it solely means a sexual attraction to men and women. If I were to go with that definition, I'd call myself gay. But I'm not gay. I am emotionally attracted to men and women. Some people call themselves bi, which takes away the sexual part of it. That could plausibly work for myself because it avoids bringing sexual attraction into the term.Therefore, I'm wondering if I should call myself bi or bisexual.

Re: bi or bisexual

Personally, I don't get into "terms" or "labels", because they both are so subjective based on the two people involved. I just enjoy what I enjoy and let others worry about the labels for me.

any label that works for you, works for you..... other people will argue it.....

my partner calls herself heteroflexible a hetero person that is open minded and flexible about the idea of sex with the same gender even tho shes not into women.... but its been argued that heteroflexibles are bisexuals in denial, people that want to be bisexual and not admit to it etc etc etc.... and that is not my partner, shes hetero and shes flexible....

calling yourself bi is a awesome idea..... as you are bi without the sexual aspect.. and so its true for you..... tho it may take other people by surprise as they may assume that you are using the bi as a shortened term for bi sexual.....

bi and bisexual people can love, long for and live with partners of either or both gender..... so yes, be bi, be proud and be happy for and with yourself .... cos the ones that will tell you that you are wrong, are often the ones that are unhappy with their own lives....
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

Out of interest (not trying to say your bi-sexual!) if you develop strong personal feelings for a man, would you also feel sexually attracted to him too? I don't mean ALL men, but just the one you love.

I think your view of bi & bisexual makes sense. Never thought of it myself.

What I consider bisexual are people who are romantically and/or sexually attracted to both genders. They can be in different ways like in your case. Or in my case where I am sexually attracted to both genders, but only romantically attracted to men. Really, at the end of the day it is whatever you are comfortable with calling yourself. I personally think you fit the bisexual definition, but everyone gives it a different definition. It always slightly annoys me when people say labels shouldn't matter to me or to other people. If you want to label yourself, then you have the right to. Labeling my sexuality is no different to me then labeling my gender (female) , labeling my religious beliefs (Catholic, labeling my relationship with my husband (married), or labeling myself an artist. Labels help define who and what we are and how we think of ourselves. If it makes sense to you to label yourself bi and take the sexual out of it, then do it.
    Fake glasses + Mustache tattoo = perfect disguise

i never liked lables but my perspective on the topic is bi is just short for bisexual. there is really no difference between bi and bisexual. if one is attracted to both sexes then they are bi therefore bisexual. the degree of attraction or desire is not the defining factor. if both sexes turn you on sexualy then you are bisexual. for what is sexuality but an extension of ones attraction and desires for another.
    Last edited by *pan*; Apr 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM.

Whether or not a person likes labels or not , the question is about a label.

As Jobel states the "and/or" factor is in play with you. Many of us have a physical sexual attraction to both. In your case, you have an emotional attraction to both but not the physical sexual aspect. Both seem to work under the label of being bisexual. Just be aware that a lot more bisexuals have the opposite attraction(physical rather than emotional). Some of us have both physical sexual and emotional attraction to both. We are all bisexual.

It seems like a narrow distinction. I usually use the term bi because I am lazy, as a kind of abreviation.

I like the term tri sexual if it is fun try it. If people are having fun that is what matters labels are just that labels.

You're over-thinking it bi = bisexual...just fewer keystrokes!

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick View Post
    So I identify as bisexual for the most part. I'm a woman by the way. I'm sexually and emotionally attracted to women. I'm emotionally attracted to men. Within that, I'm way more into women than men. I've seen a lot of definitions of bisexuality and they claim that it solely means a sexual attraction to men and women. If I were to go with that definition, I'd call myself gay. But I'm not gay. I am emotionally attracted to men and women. Some people call themselves bi, which takes away the sexual part of it. That could plausibly work for myself because it avoids bringing sexual attraction into the term.Therefore, I'm wondering if I should call myself bi or bisexual.
    …to me the 2 terms mean more or less the same thing so it doesn’t much matter which you use…which ever makes you happy…

Labels are just a convienience. You are just as bi as any of us. When it is important we can define ourselves more fully within a conversation. I am bi but only have emotional attraction to women. I am also both emotionally and sexually attracted to transwomen. That makes a whole new layer to the confusion of the label. To me a person's sex (what is between their legs) is totally different from thier gender (who they are as a person). I am attracted to female gender even when the plumbing does not match. On top of that cross dressers don't work for me at all. I don't know why. It is just who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by robert4friends View Post
    Labels are just a convienience. You are just as bi as any of us. When it is important we can define ourselves more fully within a conversation. I am bi but only have emotional attraction to women. I am also both emotionally and sexually attracted to transwomen. That makes a whole new layer to the confusion of the label. To me a person's sex (what is between their legs) is totally different from thier gender (who they are as a person). I am attracted to female gender even when the plumbing does not match. On top of that cross dressers don't work for me at all. I don't know why. It is just who I am.
    At least you're not one of those silly people who thinks that because they want a shemale/chick with a dick, or TS/TG with a cosmetically constructed coochie that it makes you LOL "pansexual".