Register

Thread: To the Veterans

To the Veterans

I don't know if anyone else has already started a thread but today is Veteran's Day here in the US. I would like to personally say thank you to all of the Veterans who post here, who have either served in the past or are still actively serving, thank you!

I am also remembering the families of veterans, and those in local communities who have friends that are or were vets..

The courage and honor of all of these people is something I hold in high esteem. If you see a solider today tell them, "thank you" - if you see the family of a solider or one of their friends - give them a hug!

<hugs>

Re: To the Veterans

Just thought I would say your welcome and thank you. I had a blast serving and it was my pleasure.

You're welcome! I spent four years in the US Army and got to see quite a bit of our world. Spent one year stateside, one year in "Beautiful Southeast Asia" and two years in Germany.

Quite the adventure...

Thank you, I served for 21 years, had good times and some that were not so good.

In Canada, we call it Remembrance Day.

The significance of the day has increased since Canada lost people in Afghanistan. I respect those who served but sorry do not believe that they were fighting for my freedom in Afghanistan.

It is a sacred day with special remembrance services soon on 11 11 11(2011). Eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year in this new century.

I will be sensitive that my government treats our veterans properly and that the term "support our troops" goes beyond their days in the military.

Thank you, veteran US Army 20 years.

Thank you, Elian. Eight years, U.S.M.C.

You men and women in the military are awesome...thank you for allowing me to be a free American.

XO
    ~D~

A deep and sincere thank you to ALL veterans. Modern day Super Heros.

I want to thank all Veterans around the world, those that served previously and those still serving now from all countries in all continents.
    Standing hand in hand with my love

Cara ch' 'm blaidd

Eight year service member here back in the early to late 80s--US Coast Guard.

I went to a nice event this morning in my little burg--we had a Colonel from the local Air Force base speak---he gave a good and powerful speech.

His comments made me think though---with all of these multiple deployments that so many of our service members are doing now---it is tough on them----and they sure do deserve all the thanks and praise we can give them but think of their families that get left behind--they have their own burdens to deal with and they deal with those with the same level of devotion, duty, etc, that the actual service member makes--so don't just thank the service members----thank their families for their "service" as well!!
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thanks Elian...........served 3 years Army ('59-'62) 4 years Air Force ('63-'67)

Thank you.
    USMC 66 - 75

In Flander's Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

A thank you will never be adequate, God Bless.

Lest we Forget.

Home at Last

He's home at last, a mother's son, a fine young man, his duty done,
    Yet not for him the fond embrace, a loving kiss, a smiling face
    Or cries of joy to laugh and cheer the safe return of one so dear,
    It is his lot to show the world a soldiers fate as flags unfurl
    And Standards lower in salutation, symbols of a grateful nation.

Sombre now, the drum beats low, as he is carried, gentle, so
    As if not to disturb his rest, by comrades, three and three abreast
    Who now, as quiet orders sound, they, one by one then move around
    To place him in the carriage decked with flowers in calm and hushed respect,
    Preparing for the sad, slow ride through silent crowds who wait outside.

So the warrior now returns to native soil and rightly earns
    The great respect to one so young, though sadness stills the waiting throng,
    While flowers strew the path he takes, as the carriage slowly makes
    A final turning to allow the veterans standing there to show
    The soldiers pride, a silent, mute, proud and respectful last salute.

Yet, while onlookers stand and see the simple, moving ceremony,
    There is a home, a place somewhere, where sits a waiting, vacant chair,
    And one great yawning empty space in someone's heart, no last embrace
    To bid a final, fond farewell to one who will forever dwell
    In love and cherished memory, a Husband, Son, eternally.

And we who see should not forget that in this soldier's final debt
    And sacrifice for duty's sake, it is the loved ones who must take
    The hurt, to bear as best they can, and face a future lesser than
    The one they dreamed in bygone years, now to regard with bitter tears,
    Reflecting, as time intervenes, on thoughts of how it might have been.

But in their grief there's quiet pride that loved ones bravely fought and died
    Believing in a worthy goal which helps give solace, and consoles
    By knowing that the loss they bear is shared by all our peoples where
    In gratitude, their names will be forever honoured, guaranteed
    To be remembered and enshrined, beyond the shifting sands of time.

Tony Church

Lest we Forget.

They shall grow not old.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

From the poem,'For the Fallen'
    by Laurence Binyon

Lest we Forget.

Thank you for the kind post, Elian. (I was U.S. Air Force from 1984-1997).

And to all of my fellow veterans, U.S. or otherwise, thank you for YOUR service.

Unofficial Community Leader

Cool Re: To the Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by elian View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has already started a thread but today is Veteran's Day here in the US. I would like to personally say thank you to all of the Veterans who post here, who have either served in the past or are still actively serving, thank you!

I am also remembering the families of veterans, and those in local communities who have friends that are or were vets..

The courage and honor of all of these people is something I hold in high esteem. If you see a solider today tell them, "thank you" - if you see the family of a solider or one of their friends - give them a hug!

<hugs>
    Grew up in a military family;traveled worldwide as a result; Dad served 22 years, both Army & Air Force; gave him a beautiful funeral service, full military honors; lived mere blocks from Eisenhower boyhood home for 12 yrs; think I know something about the power of this day!
    FIRE IN THE BELLY

Being a Vet, I'm not one to say we don't appreciate the kind words and thanks. It's always nice to feel appreciated. Some of us went through some rough times, some gave up body parts and some gave up their minds too. We live in a colder climate up north. This time of year becomes especially hard on the homeless and there's more homeless Vets than you would ever believe. Call your local VA (Veterans Administration) and find out if they have a "Homeless Vets" organization. I just drove 60 miles to donate a carload of clothing and blankets last weekend and am doing it again this weekend. I'm not a saint or even worthy of thanks in my mind. The VA was there when I came back in the early 70's and needed help so I want to do what I can.

I got a shocking history lesson when I heard that in the last two years it's only been the second time in the history of this country that more Vets took their own life than have been killed in action. That's not good. If you can, try to do more than just say thanks. A bumper sticker that says "Support Our Troops" is more often than not just lip service. Give a soldier or their family more than a hug. Those that need the help deserve it, past, present and future. Those in harms way do it for all of us. I'm not on a soap box so don't bother to slam my view if you don't agree. It's just on days like today some of us really miss some really good friends that we think deserve to be here. Thanks.

Unofficial Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky55 View Post
    Being a Vet, I'm not one to say we don't appreciate the kind words and thanks. It's always nice to feel appreciated. Some of us went through some rough times, some gave up body parts and some gave up their minds too. We live in a colder climate up north. This time of year becomes especially hard on the homeless and there's more homeless Vets than you would ever believe. Call your local VA (Veterans Administration) and find out if they have a "Homeless Vets" organization. I just drove 60 miles to donate a carload of clothing and blankets last weekend and am doing it again this weekend. I'm not a saint or even worthy of thanks in my mind. The VA was there when I came back in the early 70's and needed help so I want to do what I can.

I got a shocking history lesson when I heard that in the last two years it's only been the second time in the history of this country that more Vets took their own life than have been killed in action. That's not good. If you can, try to do more than just say thanks. A bumper sticker that says "Support Our Troops" is more often than not just lip service. Give a soldier or their family more than a hug. Those that need the help deserve it, past, present and future. Those in harms way do it for all of us. I'm not on a soap box so don't bother to slam my view if you don't agree. It's just on days like today some of us really miss some really good friends that we think deserve to be here. Thanks.
    Exactly! Let's get beyond token, superficial & politically correct expressions of aprecciation.
    FIRE IN THE BELLY

thank all the other veterans on this site for your unselfness giving of a part of your life to the defense of our country. i gave them 26 years and dont regret a minute of it and would go back home to the military if i was called.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky55 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the UK, the British Legion performs much of the functions you outline, I had assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that your American Legion performed a similar function in the USA. I give the enclosed link for your information:-

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

With best wishes to you and all your comrades, keep up the good work.