Register

Angry 3 Bi Softball players disqualified from gay team for not being "gay enough"

If you haven't seen this yet, NCLR is helping 3 bi softball players challenge the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Association's discriminatory policies:

http://www.nclrights.org/site/PageSe..._v_NAGAA042010

Shannon Minter wrote this about the case:
    "This is a very upsetting case in which—during a tournament in Washington last year—the NAGAAA subjected three bisexual players on the San Francisco team—who also all happen to be men of color—to a humiliating interrogation to determine if they were 'gay' enough to play in the league, which has an unlawful rule that a team cannot have more than two straight players. The league then decided they were not 'gay' enough, and retroactively disqualified their team from the championship the team had just won."

Re: 3 Bi Softball players disqualified from gay team for not being "gay enough"

How is one "not gay enough" . . . I was under the assumption that having intercourse with a person of the same gender made one, for lack of better wording . . . at least part gay . . . do we now have some kinda meter . . . cause I know some straight guys that would have that thing going all kinds of crazy . . . and some gay guys who wouldnt make it even move . . . and who gets to determine something so personal as someones sexuality aside from that person . . . ugh . . . sometimes i hate people

I have to admit to being a lil amused by this......

a gay sports team, competing in a gay sports champs...... then issues of discrimination arise ???? cos people are not gay enuf ????

ok lets look at the facts...

its a gay sports event.... structured around people of a gay disposition.....
    gay being attracted to and desiring people of the same gender, ie in this case, males attracted to and desiring males....

a bisexual is attracted to and desires both genders......

if a bisexual is predominately attracted to one gender over the other, ie females emotionally and mentally, and males sexually.... then they are not more gay inclined but hetero inclined.... while still be bisexual

in that respect, yes, the gay team is correct in removing them..... as it caters to people with a more gay than hetero inclination....

I see the rule about no more than 2 heteros per team ( bet thats to avoid the anti discrimination aspect )

now if bi's and heteros and gays are in the sports.... WHY is it called the gay softball event, when its not a gay softball event, its a mixed sexuality event...

back to the same argument again, of equal rights and anti discrimination is what people want, but they also want the rights to hold events that are structured around set guidelines on the grounds of sexuality.....

simply and bluntly, we can not have our cake and eat it too...... but by hell we will expect to have the right to legally.....
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

Thumbs down Re: 3 Bi Softball players disqualified from gay team for not being "gay enough"

Oh good Lord...were they suppose to wear pink shirts tied at the waist, high heels, and lisp limp-wristed, or what? I've never hear of such a thing...not being gay enough for a certain standard...
    Sigh...
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I knew something like this was bound to happen...as soon as gays get well established in popular culture both people both gay and straight will start attacking us...the supposed "fense sitters". they will try to force us too choose sides, or make up our minds, and this is a perfect example of this happening. Damn, I thought it would take longer too.

Oh well, if its a fight they want then its a fight they'll get!

Is there supposed to be a certain threshhold level in the number of cocks you have sucked---or gotten bottom fucked or top fucked to be gay??

Do ya have to like to sing along to Judy Galrand songs, be swishy as someone else said???

Jeez---human beings can be so cool and amazing and we can be so fracked up!!

This is pretty fracked up!!!!

It does sound though that something else is at play here--and that is good old fashioined racism since the organization declared the white players to "be gay enough!"

Seems like they have grounds to proceed on those grounds too--but it sure is BS that this organization didn't care to recongize bisexuality!!!

This is a reason that I am as much concerned about "coming out" in terms of gay people as to straight ones----it seems that bisexualty is often met with more hostility from the "gay" community than it does from the straight world!!
    Last edited by 12voltman59; Apr 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

So should the umpire say "play ball... hey, NOT SO FAST, BISEXUALS!"
    Hmmmm.
    Could a sexually active bisexual PINCH HIT for a celibate gay man?

i always heard "climbing one mountain doesnt make you a mountaineer, sucking one cock does make you a cocksucker"

isnt that gay enough??

lmao....... so bisexuals can bat for both teams but heteros can not play with gay men and at this stage, gay men can play with heteros.... ( excuse the puns )

I do agree that the terms and definitions of bisexual is differcult to put in concrete.. but I support the right of the gay teams to question non gay males, playing in a gay sports competition.....

a mostly gay male bisexual, could fit the definition of gay, by way of sexual activity.... but a mostly straight married bisexual male that sucks cocks, generally would not.....

so it comes down to a simple fact that if you ID as bisexual, you are not gay, therefore not eligible... and creating a set of rules and guidelines for defining who is gay enuf to be in the team, is going to create a bloody mess and a legal nightmare ......
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

I am so use to lengthy replies so it is nice to be able to weigh in with a few one liners. And to this I can only say, WTF.....
    Oops!...okay, 3 lines.

I find this quite funny since half the gay community seem to think bisexuals are really gay, and lots of us have gay or lesbian and are even married to people of our own sex, so what are they objecting to?

Most of us tell gays we arent really gay or lesbian so I dont know what we are complaining about. Unless we are objecting to being called straight.

Petty squabble and a storm in a tea cup if u ask me.

when i read this thread it reminds me of a support group i went years ago. the support group was clearly descrilbed as GLBT. the night i went there were only four other people and and a guy that was an organizer of the group. when things started every one had a time to speak and after each person said what was going on in their lives there was time for any one else to respond if they wanted. it was all guys in the group. when it was my turn i said why i was there and what was concerning me. i mentioned i was bi. i was brief it was my first ever support group of any kind. when i was done speaking and it was time for any one else to respond the guy next to me who had identified himself as gay said to me, Let me tell you something, theres no such thing as being bi, you either gay or straight. and he was not speaking in a kind tone of voice. i immedietly formed my opinion in my mind, WTF? this guy is a total jerk! then i felt sorry for the poor dumb bastard. i didnt respond to him at all. i just sat th and let him speak his mind. i didnt even look at him. i think that made him feel like he had put me in my place and that he had won. that there was no such thing as bisexual and that was it. i was so glad when the group was over and i got out of there. after that i realy didnt feel any kind of anger or any thing like that. i knew i was bisexual, happy being bi and im glad that i am bi. i love being bi. i respect any way any one wants to identify themselves. i wouldnt want to be any thing else. i love being bi.

Quote Originally Posted by sammie19 View Post
    I find this quite funny since half the gay community seem to think bisexuals are really gay, and lots of us have gay or lesbian and are even married to people of our own sex, so what are they objecting to?

Most of us tell gays we arent really gay or lesbian so I dont know what we are complaining about. Unless we are objecting to being called straight.

Petty squabble and a storm in a tea cup if u ask me.
    It seems like it was a situation RIPE for what they wanted to use as a "Turnabout" moment. A lot of this occasions are going to arise where they get to, as Faramir said, have a chance to show their quality and we're going to hear when they fall flat as their detractors....But the squeaky wheels gets noticed and the things that run smooth do not. It's a matter of trying to make sure this isn't the prevalent feel in the Community.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBorthwick View Post
    It seems like it was a situation RIPE for what they wanted to use as a "Turnabout" moment. A lot of this occasions are going to arise where they get to, as Faramir said, have a chance to show their quality and we're going to hear when they fall flat as their detractors....But the squeaky wheels gets noticed and the things that run smooth do not. It's a matter of trying to make sure this isn't the prevalent feel in the Community.
    So what do you suggest should have been done? Or what should the bisexual players do now?

Sounds to me like the team that lost the game is the one that needs to be looked at,or in more simpiler terms,"I'm going to throw a temper tantrim until I get my own way."
    Just saying

The law does not allow the team to refuse to let someone to play based on their sexual orientation, but leave that aside.

LGBT types in real life are as prejudiced as anyone else is. All those claims that gays have a greater capacity for 'empathy' are a lot of bull.