Register

Dan Savage - on Bill Maher last night

I am hesitant to start another Dan Savage thread, lol, because I know the feelings can get intense, but what the hell, it's been at least 6 months...

Even though I think the guy is so washed up on bisexuality, and his dramaqueen "advice column" is beneath all reasoning people, and I still think he bullied those kids at that high school journalism convention, and he sometimes twists the truth to make a point, but...

I have to admit, he is very articulate - a highly skilled communicator who is a strong voice for sexual liberation and GLBT rights. The guy is a pit bull. For better or for worse he is a better communicator every time I see him and thus I think he is emerging as a strong voice on GLBT issues. Begrudgingly, he has my admiration.

- Drew
    Last edited by Drew; Jul 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM.

Re: Dan Savage - on Bill Maher last night

Glad I watched this episode with my son who happened to ask my thoughts on gay marriage just the night before. Nice to have Savage reiterate my thoughts on the matter. Savage seems to be a good gay community role model with his marriage to his longtime husband with whom he adopted and raised kids together. He impressed me with his knowledge of LGBT rights and continuous struggles. He is an intelligent communicator.

I am not a big fan of Savage---but I have to say----I sure liked the stuff he said on the show last night...
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hitler was a great communicator also.

Dan Savage might be a prick and an asshole all at the same time--but he is a long way from being a "Hitler." I kind of get tired of people calling someone a "Hitler" if they do not agree with them-----Hitler was a one in a few billion aberration. His evil and the atrocities he set forth----are hardly comparable to the stuff that comes from the mouth and from the pen of people like Savage and when it comes to Barack Obama who might or might not be many things--- he too---just like George W. Bush as bad as I and many others thought he was-----are a far cry from being anywhere nearly as bad or evil as was Adolph Hitler!!!!!!

Dan Savage might be a prick and an asshole all at the same time--but he is a long way from being a "Hitler." I kind of get tired of people calling someone a "Hitler" if they do not agree with them-----Hitler was a one in a few billion aberration. His evil and the atrocities he set forth----are hardly comparable to the stuff that comes from the mouth and from the pen of people like Savage and when it comes to Barack Obama who might or might not be many things--- he too---just like George W. Bush, who as bad as I and many others thought he was-----are a far cry from being anywhere nearly as bad or evil as was Adolph Hitler!!!!!!

Calling someone a Hitler is an epithet that gets thrown around way too damn easily and often!!
    Last edited by 12voltman59; Jul 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM.

You have to remember that Savage is a columnist. That means first, that he is primarily an entertainer, not someone offering scientific analysis of homosexuality or bisexuality, and second and more importantly, he has to cater to the prejudices of his gay readership.

When I try to play the video, it states that the video was removed by the user? Is it that way for others? Does anyone have the webpage link?

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    When I try to play the video, it states that the video was removed by the user? Is it that way for others? Does anyone have the webpage link?
    Yeah, I am getting the same thing now. The person who uploaded it to YT probably didn't have permission to do so. I won't try to find another copy, but maybe you will have luck on the HBO website, or by googling something like "Dan Savage, Bill Maher"

- Drew

Sorry about the double posting--with the second one having the new line--that is weird---I thought I was editing and posting up the original response!!!

The lovely Dan doesn't seem to know anything about 'homosexuals' who are not quite homosexual coz they are sometimes sexually attracted the opposite gender.
    If I have met quite a few of them, I'm damn sure he has at least heard about them too as a columnist!

It's the same old gay propaganda spiel - come out as gay and you are gay! That is just as BS as gays coming out as bi. But you don't hear Dan say "Hmmm yes I thought I was gay too once.", nor ANYTHING remotely questioning of a persons claim to be gay.
    Apparently Mica's sexuality is unquestionable now he claims to be gay. He has claimed to be heterosexual, bisexual and now homosexual, yet we can all rest assured that Mica knows what he is now coz he's a gay.

In one interview Dan has expressed his sexual attraction to a particular female. But he's 100% gay...gone to the Darkside.....in that all engulfing sexual black hole called Homosexuality where fluidity doesn't exist.

YES I agree that it would be better for ALL if bi's came out no matter what relationship their in etc. But that is only for political reasons IMO. At the mo, the LGBT is adamant that there is a Yellow Brick Road to each sexuality where the crossroads don't count and where U-turns don't happen.
    It might help if bi's and 'not quite homosexuals & heterosexuals' shattered that illusion (IMO), not just for bi's & gays but for heterosexuals too. Some day we might get over ourselves and feel ok to be attracted to anybody we damn well liked at any particular time and NOT have to become 'something'!