Register

Thread: rubbish threads

rubbish threads

come on people...i believe in freedom of speach and will support it fully when appropriate.

Can we stop posting stupid threads such as "my cock smells of pussy"
    and other totally stupid and time wasting threads?

surely we should be posting threads for information purpose and not for self gratification.

bbm

Re: rubbish threads

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmax View Post
    surely we should be posting threads for information purpose and not for self gratification.

bbm
    Um. Was it gratifying at all, writing this and getting it off your chest?

Sound Familiar?

Bigbadmax raises a good point. This is where sub-forums can be useful...general advice, personals, health and sex, situational help, witless posts that don't merit reading, etc. www.swingersboard.com has, for example, a rather well-designed forum topic structure.
    Last edited by abstruse_ric; Sep 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM.
    I have a bad feeling that whenever a lesbian looks at me they think "That's why I'm not a heterosexual." -- George Costanza

firstly little ray...nope not gratifying..im just fed up of creeps thinking the threads are for asking the most base and purile of questions just to get attention.

surely threads are there to ask GENUINE questions, air grievences and to inform, not to pose ridiculous questions which most of us know the answer to.

keep smiling

bbm

Well maybe it has to do with perspective. I mean honestly. If there is a thread that you feel is ridiculous, stupid, pervasive, redundant or repulsive. It's very informative to you that you may not want to intermingle with that kind of person. So that's why I don't mind if something like that is present on the forums. It means a lot less work/time/communication on something that would never work to begin with.

But hey, that's just me. Live and let Live.

Well Ray...I guess they will think my Southern Belle post is without merit...I just wanted it to be funny.

Belle

Max, it sounds like you're asking that people give some thought to what they post and not post something that they don't think will appeal to others.

We already do that. It's just that we don't all agree on what is interesting or valuable vs. rubbish.

Now here's where I think our current system works really well:

If we had thread-police to cull the "garbage", eventually, something you like would be called garbage, and you'd get angry. Or something you think is garbage would be validated, and you'd be annoyed (this is what happens now, isn't it?).

So rather than having everyone angry or annoyed at some point, Drew gave us a nicely democratic system where the most recently-posted-to threads stay on top. Now let's face it: if *you* don't like a thread, but everyone else does, that *should* be your tough luck, no? Well that's what happens. And if you *do* like a thread that nobody else does...well...you can keep it alive all by yourself by continuing to post to it (although eventually it will feel like you're talking to yourself...'cause you will be). If you like a thread that is popular, you're in luck, 'cause it'll last as long as its popularity continues (and sheesh, if it fades but is really good, you can even revive its popularity by posting once, and having someone bite!).

The only problem we have is that fourth possibility: a thread that you don't like, and neither does anybody else. *Sometimes* (oh, blessed times!), those threads just die quickly. But other times (oh, dreaded times!), people post to those threads again and again and again...often just complaining about how bad or pointless the thread is! Dear oh dear oh dear.

It seems to me that if we could ALL learn this simple lesson, the forums here would be improved many-fold: if you don't like a thread, ignore it. Then threads nobody likes would simply disappear before you barely even have a chance to be annoyed by them.

So vote with your posts! If you like the thread, or think it has something valuable to add, or that *you* have something valuable to add, then post to it. If you think it's garbage, just let it die.

Oh yes, there's one other possibility I haven't addressed: sometimes, there are so many "garbage" posts that you feel like there's nothing you can engage with productively. In that case, you have two mature alternatives: (1) go away for 2-3 days, and hope the landscape will have improved when you get back...or (2) stop waiting for someone else to do the work and post some threads of your own that you think are valuable!
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

I have a policy that works for me; if I don't care for the subject, I move on without leaving a footprint.

I have varied interests and am attracted and/or repelled by different things, too. I often wonder to myself, "Where in hell did that come from?"

I'm positive that I've started a thread, or two, or several, that some thought little of. I'm OK with that.

I'm also OK with others, who use different language, or have different values than me...as long as they don't try to force their principles upon me!

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    I have a policy that works for me; if I don't care for the subject, I move on without leaving a footprint.

I have varied interests and am attracted and/or repelled by different things, too. I often wonder to myself, "Where in hell did that come from?"

I'm positive that I've started a thread, or two, or several, that some thought little of. I'm OK with that.

I'm also OK with others, who use different language, or have different values than me...as long as they don't try to force their principles upon me!
    I agree--many threads I may not care for--and I find that if they are "rubbish" threads---as a rule--they "die" pretty quickly by being pushed down the line by the most recent posts that are getting more attention.

I have suggested on a number of occassions to Drew that it would be great if they used some other software for message boards--ones that keep topics up so they can be posted too over time instead of having to go back pages and pages of postings like this one does--but that has not happened nor do I expect it to.

So--if it doesn't bother Drew and the owner/operators of the site that untold numbers of threads get posted--than it shouldn't bother us---and if ya don't like a topic--don't read or post on it and read and post on the ones that you happen to like.

I know we have all had some complaints on this site from time to time---but the fact is--the site has lasted a long time as is and we do have our little cyber community here---if we ask Drew & Company to muck with things too much--we just might lose this site alltogether.
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I like how we are able to post stupid and inflamatory stuff.
    Some of it is not stupid rubbish to all of us.
    There are threads that I avoid reading or contributing to, but not because they are rubbish threads as described by you.
    JEM

My sentiments on this one are the same as BigBadMax's. I find the display of topics embarrassing. "Adolescent sexuality" is the phrase that comes to mind. But I think it's useless to complain.
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........
    I'll decide between men and women the day you decide between food and oxygen.

I also agree. I'd like to see this site more heavily moderated to remove the nonsense threads. How many cum eating threads are really needed?

Anyone know of a better site? One where nonsense like we're discussing is discarded?

Here is a good site to check out.

This is another one to really get tickled over.

Still yet another.

I agree with bigbad on this one, some of the information here isnt really worth posting at all. Sometimes i just skim read it and dont pay any attention to what is being said.

However im worried that the threads will be full of silly sexuall stuff that really needs to be thought about before posting... Or maybe its just me.
    Class, race, sexuality, gender and all other categories by which we categorize and dismiss each other need to be excavated from the inside.

Dorothy Allison quote.

I prefer there to be threads like that, with obvious titles one can skip, to the way a serious thread will get hijacked and led off topic.

(e.g. you start on "who's going on a Pride march this year? share pictures, ideas for being visible etc" and in no time it gets drawn off into a "why should we be proud anyway" tangent rather than making that a new thread and keeping each one to broadly the original topic)

Yes it'd be nice to have subsections so the masturbation was here, the activism here, the coming out here, the partners wanting to talk about their issues here, etc. But that's just not what Drew built, and the other bi fora that do offer that sort of model get quite a bit less traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmax View Post
    come on people...i believe in freedom of speach and will support it fully when appropriate.

Can we stop posting stupid threads such as "my cock smells of pussy"
    and other totally stupid and time wasting threads?

bbm
    RIGHT ON MAN!!!!!! RIGHT ON!!! I believe it displays the state of consciousness we as a society are living in. In truth we are so much more then that!!!

Thank you for speaking out.

When I signed on today, there were three threads on the home page at once. One was asking what position do you like to have your cock sucked, the next what do you like most about sucking cock and another what is it like having your cock sucked. THAT is overkill!

Personally I ignore threads along those lines but I do agree that some moderation is needed and maybe dividing it into categories would be a good idea.......