Register

Bisexual Characteristics

Before I post (especially because I'm new here) I would like to say that I mean NOTHING offensive by the following question and implications therein, I'm just very curious what ideas others might have about it.

Ok, so, it's kind of culturally accepted that gay and straight men and woman all have stereotypical characteristics, and, though on all sides, of course, these stereotypes are not "correct" and there are many who break this mold, I still think I can say that there are qualities that would identify a gay man as being gay, or a straight woman as being straight, so on.

My question is, do you think there are any characteristics/personality types/whatever you want to call it that indicates if someone is bisexual. I met a girl a few months ago, and she turned out to become a very good friend of mine, and the very first day I met her, she said, "You're bisexual, aren't you?" Now, I don't think I exhibit many traits that would tip me off, but then, I don't know what traits those would be, because I certainly don't act in any stereotypical "gay" sense. Any thoughts?

And I would like to repeat that I don't believe stereotypes to be something to guide one's life, just that there are certain reasons for some of these stereotypes to pop up. Many of my gay friends are very feminine, which fits the mold, though of course some aren't too.

Re: Bisexual Characteristics

Yeah, I'm not ashamed of it, I was just surprised.

And I really don't want to offend or anything, but I think there are characteristics for straight and gay...not that all gay guys have to act a certain way...more like if there is certain characteristic in guy, it might be more likely that they are gay...you know what I mean?

I.e., a very effeminate guy might very well be straight, but more often, he'll be gay.

Nope, not getting my sources from tv...from real life...and I knew this would happen, I didn't want to get into an argument about the legitimacy of the stereotypes, but I've always held that making judgements about a person because you want them to fit a stereotype you have of them is wrong, but that all those stereotypes do come from somewhere...I understand that you disagree, but I hope others might not. And I'm not close-minded or anything, I'm just a reasonable, logical person.

You might characterize it thusly...while very few gay men would say that all gay guys act a certain way (and I wouldn't say it either), but most gay guys I know claim to have excellent gaydar...this gaydar must come out of some observations, conscious or subconscious, because I don't believe there's any ESP going on there lol...I'm just wondering if there's any indicators for bi-dar.
    Last edited by WolfKing; Sep 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM. Reason: Realized something else

there are characteristics in the way people present themselves, its the majority percentage... but its more to do with the way people protray themselves and express themselves......

it can be as simple as a single sentence..... or as complex as a whole personality...... but in a lot of cases, the majority, not all but the majority of bi males reveal a interest in open relationships / marriages but no attraction to the same gender.....

many of the ladies I have spoke to over the years, told me thats how they pick the bi guys... there is a contradiction between their body language and what the guys will say......

there are other signs like the way a guys eyes watch people...... again, the body language thing......

people will argue that there is no characteristics that are common to every sexuality, and thats true, but there is behievour traits that are.......you just have to watch for them
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

Bi people have jumpsuits that flash in big bold neon lights that the wearer is bisexual. These jumpsuits are often shoved way back into closets of their homes. We don't like the whole notion of being walking billboards.

People with diabetes also don't like being billboards. Someone with cancer doesn't like it either. And so on it goes.

My life long best friend thought I was lying when I finally came out to him. But his wife said she only knew me five minutes and knew. She never explained how aside from just being intuitive.

As far as gay-dar, bi-dar go I have and still hold to the notion that folks who say it exists are full of beans. You just don't know until you ask. Yes, there may be body language clues, but those could also be being misread. So, better to just ask.

You asked:

"My question is, do you think there are any characteristics/personality types/whatever you want to call it that indicates if someone is bisexual. ......................... Any thoughts?"

Every person has their own personality, quirks, character, and mannerisms. Some folks' interests, desires, and needs, are transparent.......others are not easily discerned at all.

Stereotypes can be an indicator of someone's sexual proclivity, however, a stereotype may be misleading, too. I think that stereotyping someone is inaccurate, personally.

I know of actual examples:

One of the most effeminate men I ever knew was straight as an arrow.

An old lady, who was strictly conservative, religious, staunch of character, and a paragon of the community, left love letters, photos and a diary, that recorded her being bisexual from her childhood, continuing into her later years!

I also had a male lover for over 10 years, who never exhibited one stereotype indicating that he was bi curious. I knew him for 6 years before a little too much alcohol loosened his inhibitions enough for him to tell me!

So, I'd say that, with some people their intentions and goals are obvious, some are not. Even though I'm older than most here and have been bisexual all my life, I often still cannot tell who is and is not, what!

I've had a number of people tell me they knew I was queer from the moment they met me. Others have said they had no clue. They couldn't tell me exactly why, though.

I don't really think there are definitive characteristics. Everyone is different in what they choose to express and in what seeps through to anyone with a brain to see it.

When I first met LDD in a chat room on a game, I knew there was more to him from the way he made statements at times. I had no idea it was his bisexual nature coming out yet as we began to grow closer he sent me here to look at a profile and there he was. I wasn't suprised. The rest is site history
    Standing hand in hand with my love

Cara ch' 'm blaidd

Quote Originally Posted by WolfKing View Post
    My question is, do you think there are any characteristics/personality types/whatever you want to call it that indicates if someone is bisexual.
    Let us consult the Encyclopedia Dramatica for a highly excerpted answer:

Real bisexuals
    Real Bisexuals have the following common traits, also known as superpowers:

1. Ability to make everyone jealous and horny at the same time
    2. Superpower of wanting to sleep with everyone except you
    3. Superpower of annoying breeders and fags in equal measure
    4. Cry A LOT when they are made fun of
    5. Ability to eat pussy while taking it in the ass
    6. Disturbing tendency to mouth off when someone gives them shit (when they don't have something else in their mouth, that is).

Bisexuals are insane, depressed and suffer from the emo, except when they don't. Their sickening ambiguity causes most right-thinking people to get sand in their vagina and constantly carp on about their sexual indecision. Nearly all bisexuals are successful traps (a male who looks like he shouldn't have a cock but actually does), which annoys fags and bulldykes as they fail badly at impersonating the other sex in comparison. It may also annoy heteros since most would not appreciate the fact Sally Jane has a large cock and a hairy ass.

Any group of bisexuals will generally be more alive than their monosexual counterparts, because as we all know, bis are all rampaging sex vampires from the planet BBQ-Ripple and can't wait to shag anything with a pulse. Apart from you, of course.

Bi-curious people
    Bi-curious people with cocks crave cock while those with pussies crave pussy, but are too chicken-shit to do anything about it. Others, however, like fake bisexuals are merely in it for the street cred (see, for example, Daddy's Money Lesbian).

It is common for virgins to be bi-curious, and often they will have sex with the same gender before having sex with the opposite gender. This often causes them to realize they were actually never really bisexual in the first place. Bi-curious people who only have sex with the same gender often consider themselves homosexual, but make the same discovery that they were really horny and desperate.

Breeders often confess their bi-curiosity to fags in an attempt to create some kind of cocksucker solidarity. What they fail to realize, however, is that this is as lame as telling a black guy you once had a really deep tan.

In other words, a bi-curious woman is any girl who has had at least 2 or 3 beers. A bi-curious man is a gay man who hasn't come fully out yet.
    I have a bad feeling that whenever a lesbian looks at me they think "That's why I'm not a heterosexual." -- George Costanza