Register

Long Duck Dong

bisexuality on tv and in movies, lost in translation.....

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I have often heard / read about how we need to educate people about being bisexual and showing them how we think, feel and express ourselves.... and using media such as tv and movies, will serve to educate them.....

out in the public eye, being bisexual, being proud, being visible, being on tv and in movies, can be as confusing as hell, to other people, and the reason for that, is that bisexuals work by a set of rules that is as fluid as some bisexuals sexuality and one of the biggest problems is trying to convince people that what they are seeing is what we are doing but what they call it is wrong, what we call it is right.....

" monogamy is wrong " is a common catch phrase from people regardless of sexuality, and " that is proven by nature as much of the animal kingdom is not monogamous "..... and that is true and correct.... but much of the animal kingdom work on the principal of survival, not going to dating sites.... and within lion prides and wolf packs, its only the * top dog * that gets a leg over, something that is often ignored by people that talk about monogamy in the animal kingdom, something that I find quite amusing...... its like having cheese and crackers without the crackers....

that leads people to the understanding that no bisexual on tv can be in a relationship with a partner and have it work.... cos thats a big NO NO in tv land.... you have to have drama and issues.... and oh baby, bisexuals are a very good *toy* for tv execs

part of the conception that people have about bisexuals is that bisexuals can not be committed to a person or faithful..... the issue that some bisexual face, is conveying to people that a bisexual can be committed to a person and faithful to a person, but that the commitment and faithfulness only applies on some levels, not others, and therefore a bisexual is happily committed and faithful to one person and not the other ten people that they have slept with in the last year......

in movies and tv shows, its so hard to convey that type of thinking, as its more often a long drawn out period of talking between partners...and in the world of tv where a day can pass in 5 minutes, its often easier just to portray the bisexual as in and out of beds faster than a shopaholic goes in and out of shops with a gold visa.... then telling people that we can and are committed to our partners and we worked out a understanding with our partners over the last couple of months ( 7 minutes in tv terms and 23 minutes of yelling, screaming, door slamming, talking to the hot neighbor, passionate sympathy sex, then back to the partner for a kiss and make up scene... until next episode )

the issue is that many people already have a understanding of having extra partners, they call it fucking around / sleeping around, and that creates issues for bisexuals as its not a nice thing to be told that you are fucking around on your partner, but it is confusing for other people when we use the understanding that we are not fucking around on our partners, we are committed and faithful to our partners while we are having sex with other people......

the trouble that can arise, is that peoples views are often very different when they are looking in the mirror and then looking out the window.... and while they can see issues with others behievour, they may well not see any issues with their own and so we often see the * its not my fault I had sex with other people * statement about themselves v's the * that person is just a bed jumping freak * about others....

there is no simple and easy way to portray bisexuality in tv and movies, without making bisexuals look like they are just going from bed to bed to bed.... tho it seems to be ok for heterosexual people to do that a lot on some of the programs I have watched over the years.... once such program in NZ is called shortland street, a program based around a med clinic.... and one of my friends told me that they can not name a character in that series ( excluding underage people ) that has not either cheated on or slept with at lest two other characters in the series....

interestingly enuf there was a lesbian couple, faithful, committed and monogamous, until one female came out as bisexual, and within two weeks of the show, she had cheated on her partner with 2 other females, shagged a male doctor and was hitting on a male hospital executive..... a few of my bisexual friends wrote rather angry letters about the portrayal of a bisexual on the show, to the studio and the way it portrayed bisexuals as bed bunnies.... and promptly got ignored.....

it raised the issue within my group of LGBT friends as how the hell do you protray bisexuals in the media ( tv and movies ) without them looking like they will shag anything that moves and even some things that don't...... and it appeared that the easier way was to portray a bisexual person with two partners, one of each sex....... the studio refused to go for that as it was too much of a unbelievable storyline ( inside info )...... WTF ???????????

so we come to the issue of portraying bisexuality in tv and movies is not going to be as easy as we may like to think...as we can not accurately capture the issues of coming out to partners and long term talking and compromising, so we are left with the bed hopping image of the bisexual that is confused and constantly horny......

so we have the issue of people looking at bisexuals on tv and in movies and saying " see, bisexuals can not commit to their partners, they will constantly sleep around with other people, and we are saying, no they can committed to their partners, they are just having sex with other people...... some bisexuals call it bisexual monogamy and no they are not politicians, some call it open compromise in a relationship and some call it a working bisexual relationship....... bisexuals like me, call it TV and wonder why we watch it.......

so how do we not confuse people about bisexuality on tv and in the movies ? I have no bloody idea.... but I know a few 1000 people that will complain about how any bisexual is portrayed.... and it kinda makes me wonder why we use the media to portray something that may well do us a disservice anyway by enforcing the idea in peoples heads that we can not be committed and faithful ( be it bisexual monogamy or monogamy, or a compromised and working open relationship etc ) and that we are nothing but bed hopping people, instead of people that enjoy the beds of other people of either gender and the bed of our own partner.....

Submit "bisexuality on tv and in movies, lost in translation....." to Digg Submit "bisexuality on tv and in movies, lost in translation....." to del.icio.us Submit "bisexuality on tv and in movies, lost in translation....." to StumbleUpon Submit "bisexuality on tv and in movies, lost in translation....." to Google

Updated Mar 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM by Long Duck Dong

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Anyone who relies on movies or even telly drama as real life needs to nip along to c their nearest decent shrink... it has its place as long as we accept it for what it is.. something which may or may not be entertaining, interesting, may have a germ of truth and may on accasion even be very good and fairly accurate.. but as long as we remember that fim, telly drama, and even documentraries are not written to promote a way of life or very often to portray accurately a way of life then we have a chance to move on.. actors and actresses have been attacked and assaulted by passers by because of the character they portray on screen.. some people believe them to be that character and not simply an actor.. yes they are a tadge dim and/or stupid for doing so but some do take film or telly drama literally and believe what they see.. I did when I was 3 or 4 years old but soon learned what was real and what wasnt. Many grown up so called intelligent people are not so discerning...

I have never bought into the great film and telly thing or the cult of personality and stardom.. I do watch film yes, and telly drama on occasion, but never allow myself to be duped into thinking it is real life except for that very short period when I was too young to know any different... the best of drama of any kind can be an important thing which advances human understanding.. but equally most is not best but run of the mill or dross.. and we take what it tells us with a pinch of salt.. drama, certainly modern drama, exists to entertain, make money and to gain an audience and often as propaganda.. we believe any portrayal drama of any kind makes of anything unquestioningly at our peril... most producers, direstors and scriptwriters havent a clue about the reality of what they depict and put on screen, and those that do are often pressured by studios or telly comanies who dotn like the message they think may exist within any drama.. and so often much realism is lost and what may have been good drama ends up being so much unrealistic pap... how often have we heard of disputes of that kind in the world of film or television?
    Updated Mar 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM by darkeyes
    You should watch [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120878/"]Velocity[/URL] , it portrays a guy with a gal and guy. That and I find myself largely in agreement with Fran. Media is not life and folks whom think it is really help cause a lot of negativity.

My wife is healthily plump. She has moments of regretting her size because of seeing what I call toothpick people. I reassure her with my truth, "honey, I could never f--k a toothpick. I'd break them."

When me and her had first gotten together, our sex was like wild bunnies. We did break a dresser, bed, chair out of passionate love making and f--king. We've not broken any floors, yet. I want to really bad. :P

The point being, some flimsy little toothpick pansy would not have withstood that passion. And yes, it might be fun to ravage someone totally and break them. But once you do it's over. There's nothing more left, no fun. Someone a little more stout can break as well, but normally it takes a while, or they don't break ... satisfy. :)

The media completely ignores that. Instead everyone has to be a rock star super model, possibly having 'issues'. Sorry, I got problems and troubles not issues. Issues can stay in their boxes, I'll cry into hankies. And humour any more seems not to exist.

People have problems with self depreciation jokes used as a means of coping, and sarcasm. These people frighten me. If you can't laugh at yourself then the world is off limits as well. And not laughing at oneself causes terrible diseases. I once caught stub toe syndrome for taking myself seriously for weeks. It was horrid, every morning for a month I stubbed my toe.
    Peeps that cant laff at themselves Voidie shud b shipped off 2 the moon wer they can b mizzy as they like an we dont have 2 put up wiv em.... dunno how the man in the moon will feel bout it but hav nv seen 'im laffin bout ver much... more kinda sickenin smile as u stub ya toe an me falls ova me jeans an breaks me wrist....
    Ha! Taught the teacher good on that. ;) Ouch, though. Had hairline fractured ribs once, think my nose has been broke a few times as well. That lot of trouble hurts bad. Hope it didn't put you off too horribly and recovery was good.

Get all stuffy shirted and bam, life trips you up every time. And speaking of which, laughter has been a balm lately. Not quite as maudlin as I've been. Plenty of laughs in being a cantankerous nutty old uncle to two young gents. My scariest threat is "you guys need to sleep, I don't ..." I use Lovecraft to full effect. I'm an Eeeeevil person. :)
    LDD has a point, leastways philosophically; The Ideal VS The Actual bisexual, however, it would appear that there is a dichotomy involved, to wit;

[INDENT]If one is bisexual in a monogamous relationship, unless you are out, no one would know you are bisexual; if you're M/F people would consider you straight, if you are M/M or F/F, you would be gay/lesbian. But, even if you are out, you become an ideological bisexual as opposed to practicing bisexual in the more hedonistic and common acceptance of the term.
    [/INDENT]
    [COLOR=#ffffff]`[/COLOR]
    The problem becomes what is acceptable in the relationship and that lays with each individual. I've seen people here pontificate on the supposed immorality of bisexuals having affairs with married people (without the other mates consent) and I've done it more times than I care to admit with either gender, but in my experience, that appears to be the norm amongst many bisexuals and whether I like it or not, the perceived behavior of bisexuals amongst the uninitiated.

I would agree that the visual media seems to be stuck on the more sexually philandering bisexual and the expense of the myriad of other bisexual proclivities yet in that medium, sex sells and illicit sex, sells better.