PDA

View Full Version : not like the cartoon duck

dafydd
Apr 5, 2010, 7:13 PM
oh just to clear up a confusion on some msgs to me here: actually Dafydd is my birth name (it's the Welsh form of David) and you pronounce it like <Da-fith>. Like the <Da> in Daffodil. lol. And I'm nothing like Little Britain. But some people just call me Dafy which is also cool.

d:flag1:

Annika L
Apr 5, 2010, 11:03 PM
oh just to clear up a confusion on some msgs to me here: actually Dafydd is my birth name (it's the Welsh form of David) and you pronounce it like <Da-fith>. Like the <Da> in Daffodil. lol. And I'm nothing like Little Britain. But some people just call me Dafy which is also cool.

d:flag1:

Dafydd...thanks so much for clearing that up!! You've just added a new dimension of beauty to your screen name for me.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
lol My youngest daughter works at the Embassy there in England and her co-worker's name is Dayfeed. (Dah-feed) He is East Indian, and she just loves him. He says She can call him Daffy, but no one else can...lol :bigrin:
Cat

FalconAngel
Apr 6, 2010, 2:46 AM
It took a while, looking at the name, but I was wondering if it might be something like that. Particularly since it isn't close enough to Daffy Duck to pass. :)

Thanks for clearing it up. My curiosity has been satisfied.

Luffly1
Apr 6, 2010, 11:06 AM
I thought it was pronounced "david" but with an "f" sound replacing the "v" so, thank you for clearing that up.

dafydd
Apr 6, 2010, 3:49 PM
I thought it was pronounced "david" but with an "f" sound replacing the "v" so, thank you for clearing that up.

a double d consonant cluster in Welsh is pronounced <th> like the <th> in thug.

/Teacher hat on/

Now class, pronounce "Blwyddwyn Newydd Dda!" (Welsh for Happy New Year!)

and here's the longest Welsh word I could find.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.

no prizes for the translation.

d

cliffordmontero
Apr 6, 2010, 6:05 PM
are you sure there is no prize for translating? "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave" should at least get me a cookie or something LOL . . . and before anyone asks, i actually didnt just google the name . . . i had a link to it saved in my bookmarks because it is one of the longest names of a place in the world . . . beat out by 2 other places . . .

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu which translates to something like "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one"

and

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyay amahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesma hasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamph rasit which translates to a whole story i will spare you but google it if you like . . . me and a couple friends made a drinking game out of the names . . . pick one . . . and try to say it . . . mess up and take a drink . . . lets just say we didnt drive home after that