PDA

View Full Version : Kissing plus: Adam Lambert vs Madonna

tenni
Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM
Well, I am surprised that no one has posted this..yet.

I saw Adam Lambert's performance on the AMI's where he put a guy's face into his crotch and then later kissed the male keyboardist during his performance. I'm fairly liberal but I gasped a bit more so for the face in his crotch scene than the kiss to the other guy. Then thought..well that ends his career. (that and I didn't think that the song was that great. I think that it may be catchy tune though as I hear the tune in my head still...I think)

Public reaction of protests from US people was not surprising. He references the kiss between Madonna and Britney Spears to justifying his actions. He is apparently now claiming discrimination. He admits that he wanted a reaction and said something about the audience expecting outrageous things from performers.

What are your views?

jamiehue
Nov 24, 2009, 4:38 PM
Prior to that i watched marvin gaye on pbs he didnt need theater.

tenni
Nov 24, 2009, 4:45 PM
Prior to that i watched marvin gaye on pbs he didnt need theater.

That may be true but Lambert has always a "performance artist" rather than just a singer. His staging, lighting, costumes etc. have played a large part of his performances. He seems to be definitely being more overt about sexuality now. Similarly, Lady Ga Ga is more of a "performance artist" than a singer performer. There has been a bit of commentary about her sexuality as well. I'd say that they are both from what has been more of the edge of mainstream. They are not the first but Lambert make push and open a few minds?

somewherenearhere
Nov 24, 2009, 5:13 PM
I thought the theatrics were great, very funny. I just couldn't get passed the vocals. Wow all the screaming...just plain bad. But he must understand Madonna humping the stage at the VMAs, and Brittney's attemp at sexuality is very different. People out there are still a bit weird/skiddish/plain ol ignorant about seeing two guys going at it.

paranoid2006
Nov 24, 2009, 9:47 PM
Well, I am surprised that no one has posted this..yet.

I saw Adam Lambert's performance on the AMI's where he put a guy's face into his crotch and then later kissed the male keyboardist during his performance. I'm fairly liberal but I gasped a bit more so for the face in his crotch scene than the kiss to the other guy. Then thought..well that ends his career. (that and I didn't think that the song was that great. I think that it may be catchy tune though as I hear the tune in my head still...I think)

Public reaction of protests from US people was not surprising. He references the kiss between Madonna and Britney Spears to justifying his actions. He is apparently now claiming discrimination. He admits that he wanted a reaction and said something about the audience expecting outrageous things from performers.

What are your views?

I saw the performance but I didn't like it at all. It was sooo bad that to distract from how bad the song was, they have to use all these extra dancers/ lights/ costumers etc...

I think he is trying to be outrageous by imitating someone else and that is pretty bad in my book. I can't believe he gets to have an album just because he appeared on a "talent" show

**Peg**
Nov 25, 2009, 9:54 AM
That may be true but Lambert has always a "performance artist" rather than just a singer. His staging, lighting, costumes etc. have played a large part of his performances. He seems to be definitely being more overt about sexuality now. Similarly, Lady Ga Ga is more of a "performance artist" than a singer performer. There has been a bit of commentary about her sexuality as well. I'd say that they are both from what has been more of the edge of mainstream. They are not the first but Lambert make push and open a few minds?

performers, yes.......artists? not even close IMO

FalconAngel
Nov 25, 2009, 1:02 PM
I finally saw the bit. Perfect for MTV (narrowcast), but not okay for broadcast.

The kissing bit was nothing; tame and done by Madonna already, but the simulated sex didn't belong in a broadcast video.

Nothing about the song or video allows him to claim the status of "artist". He just isn't that good.

djones
Nov 25, 2009, 4:54 PM
I avoid shows like the AMAs like the plague as nothing interesting or artistically relavant ever seems to come out of them - just the pop industry congratulating itself and pushing new product.

Mr. Lambert's theatrics were not original, Bowie simulated fellatio on stage in 1972, and the Madonna / Britany Spears / Christina Aguilera kiss brought same sex kissing to the pop awards arena.

The real issue I have is the negative reaction to his kiss, and the relatively tame reaction to Madonna et al. Most likely because Madonna and company were truly pretending, and Lambert is out of the closet gay. The American public and mainstream media still have trouble with homosexuality as a reality.

What I find truly most offensive about Lambert's performance was his hair style.

rissababynta
Nov 25, 2009, 7:10 PM
Ya know, the performance itself I thought was cool. The vocals? No thanks. It may have been better if it was a musical or some kind of crap like that. That is the way his vocals sounded like.

mikey3000
Nov 25, 2009, 8:10 PM
I thought his singing wasn't the best, but at least he sang, and not lip sinc, like Janet did.

As for the theatrics, I was a tad surprised, but not shocked in the slightest. I think it would have had more impact if it was a soft and tender kiss, not the aggressive assault that it was. Otherwise, bravo. If the women can kiss on stage, why not the dudes?

MissLadybug
Nov 25, 2009, 9:38 PM
I don't really care at all.

No different than a guy and girl getting wild on stage.

Nothing wrong with it being a guy with another guy, girl with a girl or three together. :three:

I commend him in being brave enough to do that.

Good for him!!

BLCHGK777
Dec 8, 2009, 3:38 PM
Well the first thing I thought after seeing that was "WOW OK how does the keyboardist feel about being eaten alive basically by Adam?" then I thought "Dude they are sooo cutting your interview tomorrow" and I was partially right but I don't think it was that big of a deal since the Madonna and Britney kiss it's all good :bigrin:!

Realist
Dec 8, 2009, 3:51 PM
Who's Keely Hatzel? I overheard two young girls at Sears talking about her. One said that just looking at her makes her "cream". The other one agreed.

Herbwoman39
Dec 8, 2009, 6:06 PM
Like others, I couldn't care less. Big deal. So there was sim sex. Heteros have done the same thing and not been given this much grief. It's just not worth all the attention.

boca.openminded
Dec 8, 2009, 11:06 PM
I agree he is more of a performing artist then an actual singing artist. He knew it would create a stir among everyone who saw it and that was exactly his idea. He needs that to push his career. The problem is I too think it will hurt in more then help him. Where is he going to be after we stop talking about it?

I saw something on tv earlier where remember 1 1/2 - 2 months ago everyone was talking about David Letterman? Eventually something else will take the place and push the Letterman story onto the back burner where nobody will talk about it again.

Well, Lambert had his 15 minutes of fame. He got people talking but then something else hit the media frenzy (aka Tiger) and Adam is now history. If he is an artist then he will rise above and make something out of his career.

Oh, the difference between the Adam Lambert and Madonna thing is Madonna only kissed a girl she didn't make a spectacle out of it. Everyone has seen Madonna kiss a girl before so the only WOW factor was that it was Britney Spear. Adam Lambert in my opinion went too far.