PDA

View Full Version : The long arm of Fred Phelps...Dumb ass at large...

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jun 15, 2009, 2:45 AM
Seattle, 45 minutes me. :(

Sunday, June 14, 2009
Last updated 7:03 p.m. PT

Anti-gay hate group targets Seattle churches:eek::rolleyes:
By RAY LANE
KOMO-TV STAFF www.KOMO4.com

A church group known for delivering messages of hate around the United States picketed places of worship around Seattle on Sunday.

But they were met by stiff resistance, in the form of hundreds of people shouting right back at them.

The noisy protest group is part of a radical congregation out of Kansas belonging to the Westboro Baptist Church, run by Fred Phelps.

They targeted several churches and synagogues Sunday and plan to target more in the coming days.

They openly admit preaching a gospel of hate - since they believe God and the Bible preaches the same. And they openly despise much of what the United States stands for, including hating America.

The protesters targeted Mount Zion Baptist Church in Seattle during the worship service, shouting and waving placards saying "You're Going to Hell" and "God Hates Fags."

Jonathan Phelps, one of the protest ringleaders, said Mount Zion and other churches are spreading lies.

"They've preached that lie from hell that God loves everybody - that you can live like the devil and have any hope of heaven at all," Phelps said.

But Mount Zion church members said the hate - wrapped in God's name - makes no sense.

"If they're really concerned about God's work, there are people who are dying, of AIDS, of violence, they're starving," said Archie Pinkaney of Mount Zion.

Hundreds of counter-demonstrators, many of them gay and lesbian, hit the front lines to battle the shouts of hate.

Later, at St. James Cathedral, church members celebrated the Corpus Christi procession outside the church in white robes. Across the street, Westboro protesters took advantage of the moment by shouting their message waving placards.

"You're the ones responsible for priests raping children," shouted one protester.

Jarring comments like that need to be challenged, said counter-demonstrators - even if it means giving the messages of hate even more attention.

"A lot of times now we feel like we need not react to this - ignore it and it will go away," says Eduardo Brambila. "But it's not happening. We're here, we're proud, and look, you can't even hear them. ... And we're not going to let this in our community."

The protests were peaceful - though heated at times. And it's not over.

The group from Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket outside Garfield High School on Monday, then show up at several Jewish centers in the city.

_Joe_
Jun 15, 2009, 10:29 AM
I'm shocked the head of that church honestly hasn't been shot yet.

recognize
Jun 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone that gives Fred Phelps and his "crew" any creedence is about as bad as they are...its like sinking to his level of chaos and drama

True it can cause one's blood to boil and makes one want to get down and dirty, but its like trying to take a bar of soap in a pig pen to get the pigs clean: one becomes just as dirty, and the bar of soap is covered too

Actions speak WAY louder than words, and perhaps if people just start calling the cops and get those people for 'disturbing the peace' instead of shouting back, because its not peaceful protest, its harassment

maybe i'm wrong to somebody else, but we are only right to ourselves

recognize
Jun 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry. I thought I could learn something from anything. I love how whenever someone gets a flash of inspiration the response is to look to big strong government for protection.

Are we so unbelievably castrated as a species that we refuse to deal with the problems spitting in our faces?

As a species we unfortunately are conceited enough to believe the "our way or the highway" mentality--regardless of background, religion, ethnicity, and so on--ever so much in threads here... one person has an opinion not directed to anyone in particular, and people go and start making things personal

We deal with problems the best way that suits ourselves individually. However, its unfair to act as if having a different point of view is wrong

As aforementioned, maybe I'm wrong, but we are only right to ourselves since each person believes they are right for how they feel, react, et cetera

There are no insults here, and I seek none and why do you insist on taking my commentary personally, Azrael? In two separate threads you have made certain to endeavour to take what I'm saying as a challenge to you personally or a problem or whatever its just an opinion just like you have your own

Interesting, and yet it makes no sense

Number 6, Number 7, Number 9 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pseudo-intellectual):

pseudo-intellectual

Somebody that tries too hard to not be "typical" by saying they like whatever isn't the trend. Usually they listen to post-rock like Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Interpol. (I like some of those bands too but I don't keep shoving my musical taste at a bunch of n*sync fans to try to feel a false sense of superiority) And they like anything described as "indie"; movies like Ghost World, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, and Whale Rider. If you said those movies were popular(which they pretty much are) they would get pissed. Basically, they're people that miss the point about actually enjoying something cause they're too caught up at trying to look cultured, therefore they are posers.
"After watching Donnie Dark and listening to the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor a millionth time, the pseudo-intellectual sipped java at the "cool" cafe where he talked about how intellectual he was for not liking anything marketed"

12voltman59
Jun 15, 2009, 11:19 AM
It is pretty hard to take the Phelps clan seriously when they are out there protesting other Chrisitan churches and faiths saying that they are lying about teaching that God and Jesus are about love----they are all about reaching that God and Jesus are all about hate and anger-----I don't know where they get that--sure---the old testament God is a cranky old dude--but the new testament Bible has God not being too bad a fellow-----certainly a lot nicer God than in the old testament. Jesus was certainly a mellow dude--except his views of those who were the leaders of the Jewish community of his day he felt were pretty well corrupted with their desire for wealth and power.

The Phelps crowd is almost laughable---the only thing is----their kind now seems more predisposed to taking up arms against those they think are bad--take the whack jobs in recent weeks that killed the abortion doctor and the security officer at the Holocaust Museum in DC!!

As much as I would like to set up a 50 caliber machine gun and take out the Phelps protestors in one fell swoop when they show up--the best way to deal with them is to do what the Patriot Riders do----don't say and thing and turn their backs to those idiots!!

vittoria
Jun 15, 2009, 11:22 AM
It is pretty hard to take the Phelps clan seriously when they are out there protesting other Chrisitan churches and faiths saying that they are lying about teaching that God and Jesus are about love----they are all about reaching that God and Jesus are all about hate and anger-----I don't know where they get that--sure---the old testament God is a cranky old dude--but the new testament Bible has God not being too bad a fellow-----certainly a lot nicer God than in the old testament. Jesus was certainly a mellow dude--except his views of those who were the leaders of the Jewish community of his day he felt were pretty well corrupted with their desire for wealth and power.

The Phelps crowd is almost laughable---the only thing is----their kind now seems more predisposed to taking up arms against those they think are bad--take the whack jobs in recent weeks that killed the abortion doctor and the security officer at the Holocaust Museum in DC!!

As much as I would like to set up a 50 caliber machine gun and take out the Phelps protestors in one fell swoop when they show up--the best way to deal with them is to do what the Patriot Riders do----don't say a thing and turn their backs to those idiots!!

I agree Volty..but when you turn your back, be prepared to get stabbed in it..better have damn good deflector shields and some of those 007 style rear end rockets for flavor! ;)

Georgie_Girl
Jun 15, 2009, 12:41 PM
A year and a couple months ago, there was a fire in Brockway (a town about 20 minutes from where I live) that killed most of a rather large family. (http://www.thecourierexpress.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19452139&BRD=2758&PAG=461&dept_id=572984&rfi=6 ) WBC decided that they were going to come do their thing at the funeral. So a large group of bikers and a few others decided to block them from view using sheets and American flags. We stood in front of the place where the funeral was being held for the duration of the funeral and they never showed up. One of the guys called their number and was told that they had been there on a busy street corner. They must have been invisible because no one saw them.

goldenfinger
Jun 16, 2009, 2:33 AM
Saw this a few days ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCkrhaeMgY

FalconAngel
Jun 16, 2009, 2:42 AM
I'm shocked the head of that church honestly hasn't been shot yet.

If you kill him, you make him a martyr, and religious nuts absolutely love martyrs.

goldenfinger
Jun 16, 2009, 3:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDyALOdw5eM&feature=related

recognize
Jun 16, 2009, 8:24 AM
If you kill him, you make him a martyr, and religious nuts absolutely love martyrs.
My point exactly

Violence begets violence and even tho we despise dummy's guts we cant go postal on his ass

Wonder what Chuckie Manson would say about Phelps :tong:

hudson9
Jun 16, 2009, 4:23 PM
I love how whenever someone gets a flash of inspiration the response is to look to big strong government for protection.

Are we so unbelievably castrated as a species that we refuse to deal with the problems spitting in our faces?

That is exactly the purpose of government (whether "big strong" or otherwise) -- so that, rather than being subject to Vigilanti justice, where the guy w/ the biggest stick gets to make the rules, we have system (enabled by the consent of the governed) to mediate disputes, balance competing rights, enforce laws & rules equitably, and that has sufficient resources to competently investigate disputes or violations. It may be slower and less viscerally satisfying than a fistfight on the corner (at least for the winner), but it's better for all of us in the long run.

BrazosBiMale
Jun 16, 2009, 5:41 PM

For the most part Fred has passed the torch to his daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, she is the public face of their church. I'm not aware of ANYONE ANYWHERE, outside of his small sect, who would consider Phelps or his daughter a martyr if either met a violent death. 100% of the bigoted inflexible homophobic people I've come across, even the worst of the worst, when I ask them about Phelps, if they even acknowledge his existence they say "no way, he's not OURS". Feel free to ask your own bigoted inflexible homophobic acquaintances.
Really, nobody likes these people, because it doesn't matter if you're gay, or a war hero, or a little girl, or Jerry Falwell ( a man I always thought I had NOTHING in common with, besides gender and skin color), to the Westboro folks, we're ALL despised by God and doomed to hell (no saving throw).
I've spent way too much time reading about these people, I keep thinking I'll find some way to understand how people can take the doctrine of the lamb of God, turn it into something so hateful and repulsive, and then bask in it.
Yeah, I know, I'm probably wasting my time. ):

12voltman59
Jun 16, 2009, 7:15 PM
It does show the for the amount of time this group has been around and with as much attention they have received---they are but a small handful---they certailnly are not in the favor of most other religious groups since they hold that every faith is traitorous to God and all wrong since they too don't teach that "God isn't a God of love and God hates faggotry in all forms so he is going to smite down America since America accepts faggotry"---they are so much an extreme---there is no room way out on the little thin dead branches they sit on for anyone else but them.

I really wish we would not provide them any attention at all----they really don't deserve the dignity of any sort of response or attention---while they have the right to hold and express their warped opinions----we don't have to provide them the forums that reasonable and rational people have access to.

goldenfinger
Jun 17, 2009, 6:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABH_RFeeGAs
Cum for a ride.

elian
Jun 17, 2009, 5:42 PM
You may all recall that I posted a link to a speech given by one of his sons who is no longer in his "church". Son said when they "preach" isn't about changing people's minds at all. They believe that the more noise they make speaking their rhetoric the greater the favor they curry with God, the more righteous they believe they are..

pete3333
Jun 17, 2009, 5:54 PM
Keep in mind these are the same assholes who protested and disturbed funerals of dead soldiers coming back from Iraq.... Until bikers banded together and sheided the funeral and families of the fallen from them..... :bigrin:

Just a bunch of freeks with nothing better to do with their time.

pete3333
Jun 17, 2009, 6:02 PM
LOL, I just read that they are going to picket the funeral of the guard who was shot dead at the halocaust museum, because "The jews killed Jesus"....

Hate hate hate. Anyone who is not like them, they hate.