PDA

View Full Version : profiles and pics

*pan*
Feb 28, 2008, 12:01 PM
hi this probibly has come up before, but i have seen a few posts where people wanting to meet other people have no information in their profiles, let alone a pic or two. how can one say anything about this site and not being able to meet anyone on here if they are invisible except for a name on the screen.

Skater Boy
Feb 28, 2008, 12:09 PM
how can one say anything about this site and not being able to meet anyone on here if they are invisible except for a name on the screen.

Simple. You initiate contact, then get to know the person, and then at the appropriate time request to exchange photos.

I know some people insist on seeing photos BEFORE communicating, but personally I've found that there are many who don't, and that the ones who do are often quite shallow.

DiamondDog
Feb 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
Simple. You initiate contact, then get to know the person, and then at the appropriate time request to exchange photos.

I know some people insist on seeing photos BEFORE communicating, but personally I've found that there are many who don't, and that the ones who do are often quite shallow.

How's that being shallow?

I am on other sites that basically force you to put pics up and fill out a profile when you register and you can later take the pics down/edit the profile; but there are also tons of fake users/bots there and that's why myself and many others on the site refuse to chat/accept emails with people who don't have pics of themselves or a profile filled out.

I can see if someone doesn't want to show a pic of themselves; but if I chat with them on a regular basis or we email/chat outside the site I'd like to see a picture of them since that way I'll know who I'm corresponding with.

Skater Boy
Feb 28, 2008, 1:02 PM
I can see if someone doesn't want to show a pic of themselves; but if I chat with them on a regular basis or we email/chat outside the site I'd like to see a picture of them since that way I'll know who I'm corresponding with.

Well, 99% of the people here who I communicate with more regularly know what I look like. Probably because they've got to know me, and we've decided to add eachother as Myspace/Facebook buddies. I wouldn't go expecting a hook up if I hadn't filled in my profile ad and added some pictures of myself... but at the same time, I don't want EVERY Tom, Dick and Harry staring at my ugly mug. So... I use discretion when it comes to who I show my face to.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to know what a person looks like. But I like to know who it is that is looking at me. A luxury we don't usually have in real life. But fortunately this is the internet...

EDIT: BTW I've spoken to you (DiamondDog) a couple of times via PM, and yet I have no pictures of myself on my profile page. So it all depends on WHY the person is contacting you... if its with a view to having sex, then by all means insist on seeing photos first. But if they're just being friendly and sociable, then I do think its a bit shallow not to to respond JUST because they don't have a face photo on their profile page.

diB4u
Feb 28, 2008, 2:50 PM
Well all of you have raised good points, i personally have my full profile up and a picture- although when i joined last year i was really nervous in putting my photo up. However since then the people that are important to me offline kinda know about my sexuality and gender identity.

But then everyone is different, it does depened on your own status, if your in the closset or not.

I generally do know all the people I communicate with including Skater- who happens to be a good mate.

But then I do see where Pan is coming from- its hard enough though trying to find and meet new friends- if at least the description isnt filled out. Photo's are sometimes negotiable- depends on what your looking for really.

Some people are ONLY on here it seems for sexual hook ups- and others are not... Which is fine and dandy- really it is... But all i ask is some description, even if its seeking cock.

:2cents:

Sorry!

DiamondDog
Feb 28, 2008, 2:58 PM
Well, 99% of the people here who I communicate with more regularly know what I look like. Probably because they've got to know me, and we've decided to add eachother as Myspace/Facebook buddies. I wouldn't go expecting a hook up if I hadn't filled in my profile ad and added some pictures of myself... but at the same time, I don't want EVERY Tom, Dick and Harry staring at my ugly mug. So... I use discretion when it comes to who I show my face to.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to know what a person looks like. But I like to know who it is that is looking at me. A luxury we don't usually have in real life. But fortunately this is the internet...

EDIT: BTW I've spoken to you (DiamondDog) a couple of times via PM, and yet I have no pictures of myself on my profile page. So it all depends on WHY the person is contacting you... if its with a view to having sex, then by all means insist on seeing photos first. But if they're just being friendly and sociable, then I do think its a bit shallow not to to respond JUST because they don't have a face photo on their profile page.

OK that makes sense.

I meant that on here and other sites I'll get PMs/emails from people that are like "OMG you're hot I want you!!!111" or "Go to chat now I want to cyber!!!1" and they don't have a profile/pic up and they've never written to me even just to say hi or ask a question or comment and those are the people I ignore.

ceeman
Feb 28, 2008, 3:16 PM
dont be too hard on them most of them are frustrated marrieds... or fantasy motivated and un able to perform....or both !!!

diB4u
Feb 28, 2008, 3:27 PM
dont be too hard on them most of them are frustrated marrieds... or fantasy motivated and un able to perform....or both !!!

But then if thats the case, then they should state married men or women seeking a bit extra or something like that? Maybe I'm being too harsh- but at least that way the person knows what the other one is wanting?

DiamondDog
Feb 28, 2008, 3:33 PM

That's fine if people like that are here but I just don't like it when they say that they've read my profile where it says I'm not into cyber/phone sex and how you shouldn't ask to do that with me, and then they email/PM asking me to cyber/have phone sex.

Also if they're just looking for cyber or a fling or whatever they should at least write this in their profile.

shameless agitator
Feb 28, 2008, 4:41 PM
I have to agree here. Of course I would ignore a request to cyber from somebody I didn't know whether they had a pic or not. I would say that if you want to meet people you need to fill out your profile & if you're after casual hookups a pic goes a long way to acheiving that.

shaver6
Feb 28, 2008, 5:27 PM
Well here is how I handle it: If the person has a picture, then thats a plus, and it tends to attract me to their Ad. If they don't have a picture,...OK..I will go along with that. BUT...they should at least have a profile, even if its very brief. If all they have is a User name, gender, age and location...I won't even bother clicking on their name.

BiphobiaFighter
Feb 28, 2008, 6:58 PM
I don't have a personal ad up because the personals side of this site doesn't interest me. I'm here for the forum and chat (no cybering). I don't want to get requests or offers for sex on this site.