PDA

View Full Version : January is Bisexual Awareness Month

genera101.2
Jul 18, 2007, 8:31 PM
January is bisexual awareness month and according to our bi Utah group moderators, Utah, yes Utah is the only state as far as we know that is having a bisexual awareness month one month before Winter Pride. Our local Utah bi-group is going to be putting on several functions throughout the month of January and I was wondering as bisexuals, what would you like to see during the month? Some of the activities will include reading a bi book then discussions, a bi movie night, a discussion night, and party. During the month we also want to have activities to create visibility and advocacy for bisexuals. So, any good suggestions? We would also like have discussion forums on research, education, social issues, bisexual health issues, any thoughts on what else we could address? As bisexuals what would you like to see, have changed, added, or addressed?

Thanx for all your input.

:flag3:

TaylorMade
Jul 18, 2007, 9:26 PM
Your list seems pretty complete, and I know what could be important to me would be discussions on health (mental/sexual), as well as family issues such as dealing with parents and family that may not accept your identity and pointing out web resources that could help.

<thinks>

Yeah, that'll cover for now. :)

*Taylor*

kitten
Jul 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
I agree with Taylor about health and family issues. I want to add parenting issues to that list; either being a parent of a bisexual/gay/lesbian child or being a bisexual parent to teenage children.

Thanks for asking!

TaylorMade
Jul 18, 2007, 11:22 PM
I agree with Taylor about health and family issues. I want to add parenting issues to that list; either being a parent of a bisexual/gay/lesbian child or being a bisexual parent to teenage children.

Thanks for asking!

Yeah....the kids of the first wave of openly LGBT parents are getting older, and this brings alot of unique issues to the fore.

*Taylor*

DiamondDog
Jul 19, 2007, 10:07 PM
Why does there have to be a day/month for bisexual awareness?

I talk to people about myself whenever they have questions about me and my sexuality.

No question is too personal and I don't get offended by anything that anyone asks me.

onewhocares
Jul 20, 2007, 12:59 AM
Yes, Kitten I agree that parenting seminars and or discussion on parenting. We have a very intelligent and smart young lady ( 12.5 years) who is keenly aware of what is going on. We have made concessions to where we are going and with whom when we go to meet people. We have often thought when and or if we should tell her that her parents share a lover. Time will tell, that is a suggestion I have.

Belle

JoyJoyHollywood
Jul 20, 2007, 9:22 PM
Well, I have a few suggestions. I don't think your going to like them much. But I'm going to say them anyway! Because that's the way I ride.

1. No more books! I read one book on the subject that Azrael suggested to me, it was informative and you know what? It's probably going to be the only one I'm ever going to read on the subject. Am I ever going to have to take a test on this subject? Do I really need to study? Am I going to be quizzed on the street at random?

2. YOU NEED MORE FREE STUFF. Think buttons people! Maybe even a shirt or two. You could even raffle them off.

3. It's called an open bar. Sometimes you just need to break loose and have one at a function.

4. Okay, I've got to say it. The snake handling Pentacostals have better parties than all the Pagan/Gay Awareness/Democrat/Buddhist/Tantric/Animal Rights groups put together. I don't want a drum circle! I don't want a "sharing" time! I don't want to see the Power Point on the first openly Bisexual shoe salesman! I want a (expletive) Ferris Wheel! I want to see if the person I'm thinking about sleeping with can shoot little tin ducks with a tiny rifle and win me a (expletive) stuffed walrus! Less lectures! More corndogs! At least the Pentacostals will give me a corndog if I fling a rattler at someone's head! I don't want to be sensitive to the people in my community! I want to have some fun with them!

5. If your going to lure me into a movie night, it better be something good-like Jaws or Reno 911! Miami. I do not want to see BrokeBack Mountain ever again. Did you see that? That blond kid jumped that guy like a Huffy. Not even a compliment on his hair. Do not show me any movie that is good for me or even relevant to my life or situation. Show me something good! And don't even think about herding me into a lecture hall to sit on some hard as hell chair. There was at one time something called a drive in. They were fun. Dank lecture hall with numb tushie bad. Drive in with warm hood of truck good. Be creative!

6. Please try to remember that a lot of us are somewhat less mature than others. We might be coming to you to have a place to open up a bit and relax. To breath. We may not have the need to address the same issues that the more mature people with more developed families do. We might feel left out of your lectures. Maybe, we just really need a space to breath in.

7. Instead of giving out seven thousand pamphlets about the hundreds of diseases we can be carrying maybe you can organize a car pool to the local Planned Parenthood so we can see if we have them.

8. Please.....please....please...no more homework. Please. If I ask a question, please, don't give me a tome on the subject. Just a quick little answer. Cliffsnotes?

9. Okay....I'm going to say something now. Something I know I shouldn't, but DiamondDog mentioned it...and I've always agreed but I've been too scared to say anything. The Pink/Purple/Blue symbol thingy....... IT'S SO UNATTRACTIVE! Please undertake a committee to do something about it. It really isn't that pretty. At least the Homosexuals have nice little rainbow- that's pretty. And no bloody triangles! I don't want any associations with the damned Nazi party. I don't care if the three points are relevant to liking boys, girls, both. Think of something better!

Alright. I'm done now. Sorry. I know I shouldn't have said anything, but.....I just had to. Please remember the buttons.

AdamKadmon43
Jul 20, 2007, 9:32 PM
..... And I thought that I ranted and raved at unnecessary lengths about things...

Someone has evidently out done me.

Adam

Long Duck Dong
Jul 20, 2007, 9:40 PM
lol joy joy, I love it, and its so true......

goths have more lively parties in graveyards than some of the * group meetings * I have been to

I am sick of going to group meetings where the main topic of conversation is * poor bisexuals against the world * or *who can we fuck before we go home *

I wanna take some of my none bisexual friends to bisexual groups but don't cos the behievour of some bisexual groups are so embarrassing..... my friends are my friends, not a group fuck offering.....

DiamondDog
Jul 22, 2007, 1:03 AM

goths have more lively parties in graveyards than some of the * group meetings * I have been to

I am sick of going to group meetings where the main topic of conversation is * poor bisexuals against the world * or *who can we fuck before we go home *

I wanna take some of my none bisexual friends to bisexual groups but don't cos the behievour of some bisexual groups are so embarrassing..... my friends are my friends, not a group fuck offering.....

I agree with JoyHollywood. More fun! Less politics and beating a dead horse and talking about NOTHING but bisexuality.

As much as I don't mind talking about my sexuality I don't like to do it 24/7 and there's better things to concentrate on.

I also agree with LDD in that bisexual groups seem to be VERY cruisy and just full of people who are only there to hook up with other people and I've been in gay bars/clubs where it's less cruisy than some bi groups.

Anyway if you're interested in reading my opinion about the bi group my friend and I went to I wrote about it here:

http://main.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3937

It's in the thread called "Ratio men seeking men v. women seeking women "

I also agree with both Joy and LDD that bi groups should be more fun!

I've hung out with a group of mostly gay men and my sexuality was never an issue and we had more fun and did more social things like watching funny movies, South Park, or things like this than any bi group I've been to hasn't done or planned on doing.

Also those born again Christian groups do know how to have fun and actually go places like the beach, a carnival, rafting, or things like this.

JoyJoyHollywood
Jul 22, 2007, 1:26 AM
I agree with DiamondDog's link and with Long Duck Dongs post. It's not nice at all to treat people who come to a group that is open to and encourages strangers like a flesh buffet or a sexual score board.

However-I believe that the reason for this behavior is directly related to the limited attendance of new people and the small numbers that do attend regularly. I think if the numbers in such a group were bolstered with new and different people than such juvenile behavior would fall away to the side.

What better way to attract people to a function than an honest good time? And build awareness? And why couldn't children of bisexual parents also attend such events? Wouldn't it be nice for them to be around other children who share a common home life? To see that there are many others their age who have similar circumstances? That they are in fact normal and not alone?

TaylorMade
Jul 22, 2007, 2:46 AM

I don't attend "community meetings"', so I've never really encountered this; so it would follow that I'd think of stuff I'd want to talk about discuss, but I guess it wouldn't do much good, since what I'm being told from the bulk of these posts is that community meetings aren't that useful.

I'm not sure whether to be grateful that I missed out on this, or disappointed that this what I'd get for my genuine curiosity.

But, if we stay away from the groups. . .then how will we change them to remedy the behaviors we dislike and actually have them become socially constructive places to network, etc.?

*Taylor*

12voltman59
Jul 22, 2007, 4:53 AM
My response to this thread also relates to LDD's rant in the other thread---I am kind of conflicted about this whole topic--I guess it goes back to things I have posted before--what we need is total and complete human rights as set forth in many places--most tangibly--the United Nation's Universal Declaration of Human Rights

It is idealistic in the extreme to even think it possible I dare say--that I wished most cultures and nations would live up to those ideals in letter and in spirit---

The fact is---in so many places--to be anything other than simply a heterosexual person---it is a death sentence-- a case in point being the island of Jamaica.

The government is none too friendly to GLBT people but you don't have to reallly worry about the cops busting into your house and doing something to you---your neighbors will come into your home in the middle of the night--drag you outside and start turniing you into shark chum with machetes----

It is that way in far too many places---even here in the good old US of A---you can still legally be fired for being gay and such---and many other things.

As I noted in another thread---in Florida and possibly soon in other states---you cannot adopt children if you are gay or anything the mainstream puts in that classification---

It does get spun by the right that homosexual people want "special rights" when it is the case that all but the most extreme---only want to be assured they can have their basic rights preserved and protected---and that they are not discriminated against-or worse for simply not being a "normal person" i.e--straight, married stuck with kids, mortgages and car payments

As I have said before--"rights lost by one or a few are rights lost by all"