PDA

View Full Version : Florida Bound

Hopeful Romantic
Jul 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
Its twenty one days until the move starts, and I admit that I'm feeling stressed. I have lists upon lists of things I need to remember. Does anyone have any suggestions as to "little details" that I might be missing?

I'm doing most of the work on my own for a family of four, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

JoyJoyHollywood
Jul 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
FPl provides electricity. Your going to hate them. A lot. Bellsouth does most of the phone lines your going to hate them too. But not as much as FPL. Your going to like most of us a lot.

Prepair your kids and yourself for the heat. Make sure they can swim well.

Check out the neighborhood your moving to on the Sexual Predators list.

Breath deeply.

Welcome to Florida! My family has been here for over two hundred years and I can tell you that once it gets in your blood, you'll never be able to get it out.

Hopeful Romantic
Jul 2, 2007, 11:08 PM
FPl provides electricity. Your going to hate them. A lot. Bellsouth does most of the phone lines your going to hate them too. But not as much as FPL. Your going to like most of us a lot.

Prepair your kids and yourself for the heat. Make sure they can swim well.

Check out the neighborhood your moving to on the Sexual Predators list.

Breath deeply.

Welcome to Florida! My family has been here for over two hundred years and I can tell you that once it gets in your blood, you'll never be able to get it out.

LOL

It seems that I have been blessed with parents that have already relocated, so they have been acclimating the family to all of the above. My mother is neurotic when it comes to the kids' safety, so the Predators list has been checked.. and I've heard the nightmares of the power and phone.

But most importantly... THANK YOU for the warm welcome!! The friendliness that I have found from most of the natives of the state makes me grateful that I have the oppertunity to move there!!

kitten
Jul 2, 2007, 11:54 PM
Best wishes to you in your new location.

Forward your mail and do it online. Goes much faster than in person (go figure).
Pack some clothes and toiletries and an ice chest as if you were going on a vacation in case the moving van comes late, you will have some necessities.

Download a map of the area you are moving into or get one as soon as you get there for each vehicle so you can find your way around the first month or so and not worry about getting lost.
Those were some things that we needed last time we moved.
Good luck!

FalconAngel
Jul 3, 2007, 12:35 AM
The maps are a good idea, but also realize that some areas are easier to navigate than others.
Here in Ft. Lauderdale area, everything is laid out in a simple grid system and all of the roads of each type only run in certain directions (Blvds, for instance, ONLY run E-W and Ave's only run N-S. That's in our area; can't say for other areas).

Not all counties or cities are set up that easy to navigate. Downtown Tampa is a maze of one way streets and sometimes it feels like "you can't get there from here" is the rule. It takes some getting used to, if you're moving to that area.

Azrael
Jul 3, 2007, 12:47 AM
Welcome! I'm in the aforementioned Tampa area! I'm getting out of here eventually, but it's not without it's charm, this Florida.

12voltman59
Jul 3, 2007, 11:15 AM
All the best to ya as you move to Florida---I do miss it down there!!!!!

I might be joining you myself at some point ---I love summers up north but man-----when it's mid-January or Februrary and its cold and grey outside---I bang my head against the wall and say to myself--"Man--what are you doing up here????"

"I just shot two holes in my freezer--someone sound the alarm---I've got to go to where it's warm!!! Gotta go where there ain't any snow!!!!!"
Lyrics from a Jimmy Buffett song: "Boat Drinks"

welickit
Jul 3, 2007, 5:48 PM
CHECK THE FLOOD MAPS AND EVEC ROUTES! Hurricane season or not you need to know if you are in an area that floods and how to get out in an emergency.