PDA

View Full Version : Problem while typing posts in forum

curious44
Dec 18, 2013, 9:06 AM
For the last few days whenever I type a post in the regular forum some of my keystrokes get skipped. Individual letters, numbers, punctuation and spaces. It's almost like I'm typing faster than the website can keep up. But I'm a "hunt & peck" typist so that's not the case. It's happening right now. It only happens on this site. Is some spy site possibly tracking me? I have to type very slow or it will skip. To demonstrate I will copy the 2 previous sentences at my normal "hunt & peck" speed. [It only happen on this sit. Is some spy site ossbly tracking m? I ave to type ery slow r it will kip. To demonstrate I will coy the 2previous entencs at m normal "hun &peck" speed.] I fear something malicious is going on so I'm going to refrain from posting until the problem is solved. Any ideas? Thank you.

curious44
Dec 18, 2013, 9:16 AM
I should add that I use the delete option in "tools" after every IE session. History, cookies, etc. ( except passwords) are deleted. And I log off. Hmm, I'll try changing my password to this site.

Annika L
Dec 18, 2013, 10:08 AM
I should add that I use the delete option in "tools" after every IE session. History, cookies, etc. ( except passwords) are deleted. And I log off. Hmm, I'll try changing my password to this site.

Hey, I've been having the same problems...it also wouldn't let me cut and paste. But I did find a solution of sorts: try the "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode" button (leftmost on the Quick Reply toolbar). Seems to work like a charm (even if you have to deal with formatting codes, rather than formatted text)!

curious44
Dec 18, 2013, 5:52 PM
You're way over my head. I don't know how to do any of that.

Annika L
Dec 18, 2013, 6:17 PM
(1) Right on this page, scroll down to the bottom, and you'll see the Quick Reply window (it's marked "Quick Reply").
(2) Note that there is a toolbar at the top of the Quick Reply window.
(3) Click the leftmost button on that toolbar (if you hover the mouse over the button, it should say "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode"...don't be afraid of that: I only mention it so you have confirmation that you're clicking the correct button)

Then you should be able to enter text freely into that Quick Reply window.

If you click Reply or Reply With Quote, the same option will be there. I think this is true if you Go Advanced as well.

Does this make sense?

manhatten
Dec 18, 2013, 6:26 PM
This probably isn't your solution either, but a similar thing happened to me. The reason? I had spilled some red wine onto my keyboard. Got off what I could, but days later what was left dried under individual keys, they would stick down or wouldn't type anything the first time I hit them. I carefully pulled off the worst ones and took a magnifying lens and a few toothpicks to them. It might also be a build up of just dust and gunk over time, so maybe a can of compressed air should be tried if you suspect that. Maybe try and find another keyboard you can plug in to a USB port or something and see what works then. May just have connections going bad and needs repair or replacement. Really doubt any kind of spy stuff is going on. That's more software based and they write it so you won't notice as much as possible. Good luck.

Top fucker
Dec 18, 2013, 7:36 PM
It sounds like something is wrong with your computer or laptop's keyboard.

jem_is_bi
Dec 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
I have the same problem and it is not a keyboard issue.
I have no problems with the keyboard except here.

liberlib
Dec 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
Confirmed. It is not a keyboard or individual computer effect. The suggestion to click the left button works but I didn't get the "WSIWG" message. In fact, the button description is "Switch Editor to Source Mode". The description "Switch Editor to WSIWYG Mode" takes you into the awkward typing mode. This is fairly recent so I am suspecting a bad update on the site.

curious44
Dec 20, 2013, 6:23 AM
It sounds like something is wrong with your computer or laptop's keyboard.

BS. It only happens on this website. And I don't spill food on my computer. Not a techie but I fear the pssbilty of spywear. Ill be back when it's fixed. CU all later.

BiBedBud
Jun 11, 2014, 11:05 AM
I logged in today, to update the one and only thread on here that I have started; but I found that I could not because "THREAD CLOSED". How can this thread be re-openned?

The thread in question is a poll entitled "Re: MEN, What are you packin' & what's your pleasure for M-M sex?"

Running this thread is something I've invested some time into (having built a spreadsheet to help me update it efficiently and produce ancilliary displays). Only recently (as of last December) did the poll gather enough responses to be considered 'statistically significant'.

I know the data in the SQL table is still resident on here, somewhere, because if you go to my profile and click on the threads I've started, it shows-up there A-OK.

I would really like to see this thread "RE-OPENNED" so that I can continue to gather and tally and display data as I have been (intermitently, admitedly).

Thanks Drew!

Best regards,

BiBedBud

onewhocares
Jun 12, 2014, 11:59 PM
I too have this problem when using the site. All goes well until I make one keystroke error, then all is lost. It takes forever to get my words to appear after I have typed them in. I tried writing my responses in Word, then cutting and pasting them into this site but that works only about twenty five percent of the time. I do not believe that I have anything spilt on the keyboard.

Belle

Long Duck Dong
Jun 13, 2014, 2:47 AM
I am tech support on a few sites and this is a issue reported by people, its a browser issue in most cases......

with FF, I have found that I have to minimise and restore the browser window at times to get the forum on some sites to work correctly and thats with a brand new install of the lastest FF and the latest flash player ( v14 )

I normally use a number of browsers in my work.....

there are the main browsers like IE, chrome, FF, maxathon, opera..... there are a lot of issues with IE, chrome and FF, so I say to people to try new browsers and see if the issues disappear, there is cyberfox ( Intel and AMD, 32 and 64 bit options ) waterfox ( 64 bit FF hybrid ) comodo dragon ( chrome hybrid with secure DNS server ) ice dragon ( FF hybrid ) pale moon ( 64 bit FF hybrid ) so try them out and see if it makes a difference.....

12voltyV2.0
Jun 13, 2014, 10:09 AM
Wow--I have never had such problems in posting things on the forum, but I do have such troubles in the live chat from time to time….I had that happen the other night, along with the lag time it took for what I was typing to appear on the screen.

void()
Jun 14, 2014, 9:15 PM
I use Iceweasel web browser. It is the Debian based version of Firefox.
It does not use the Firefox "branding" & some of its user interface.

Under the hood, so to speak, Iceweasel is still Firefox. I at times have
similar issue/s. Find myself swapping out the "writing" to an external
editor, gedit or gvim in most cases.

This lets me type without loosing characters, format the body of
the reply, cut, copy and paste. I put the issue down to just common
technical gremlinism, i.e., poop happens. Might suggest cleaning your
cache, history but aside from that I doubt there is much else to do for
resolution.

pole_smoker
Oct 7, 2014, 5:48 PM
I have also had this issue. It happened once. Then it stopped happening and I could type normally.

jem_is_bi
Oct 7, 2014, 10:08 PM
For short replies like this one, I put up with it. For longer replies, I create them in Microsoft word then paste here. I have no expectation for typing to be normal in the future.