PDA

View Full Version : does your doctor know...

DiamondDog
Jul 5, 2006, 3:46 AM
that you're bisexual/not heterosexual?
mine does but, I am very honest with my doctor and I think that you have to be honest with your doctor.

The topic came up when I first asked to be tested.

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 6:31 AM
No, I'll probably answer truthfully if s/he asks me though.

Haemoglobin
Jul 5, 2006, 6:39 AM
that would be a bit useless .. it really doesnt change much if i would tell my doctor . i mean bisexuals hopefully get the same treatment as heteros or :bigrin: :tong:

i would feel pretty rude telling him smth he doesnt even wanna know . if im asked , i will answer though .

glantern954
Jul 5, 2006, 8:00 AM
Mine knows. It came up when asking about being tested for HIV. Apparently they don't like to do tests they feel are probably not really needed, so once I told him my sexuality and that even though the few times we had experimented we used protection I would still like to know "for sure".

I read an article once that was pro telling your doctor, but I don't recall the reasons.

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 8:02 AM
Mine knows. It came up when asking about being tested for HIV. Apparently they don't like to do tests they feel are probably not really needed, so once I told him my sexuality and that even though the few times we had experimented we used protection I would still like to know "for sure".

I read an article once that was pro telling your doctor, but I don't recall the reasons.

Your doctors treading on dodgy ground there. Is he of the belief that if you're queer you're more likely to have an STD? Seems like it.

MikeW
Jul 5, 2006, 10:02 AM
Your doctors treading on dodgy ground there. Is he of the belief that if you're queer you're more likely to have an STD? Seems like it.

I think the reason would be because if you're queer you're more likely to have multiple partners which in turn has an increased risk factor.

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
Mine does not, but I don't really hide it. New Doctor, you see. I'm getting tested this week but @ a different Dr's office.

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
I think the reason would be because if you're queer you're more likely to have multiple partners which in turn has an increased risk factor.

Surely the doctor's consideration should be whether you have multiple partners then? If you want to know if straight people cheat look no further than arseonline.com

biandu
Jul 5, 2006, 10:28 AM
My general dr. doesn't know....

my gyn dr. knows

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
My ob/gyn and my therapist know.

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 11:02 AM
I've got to back up Avocado here. Most of the homosexuals I myself know are monogamous. On the other hand I know quite a few loose straight people.

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
I've got to back up Avocado here. Most of the homosexuals I myself know are monogamous. On the other hand I know quite a few loose straight people.

Agreed but I think what he's saying is what the doctor thinks.

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 11:18 AM
True enough. I'm rather wary of the medical establishment as a rule. It was only 32 years ago that homosexuality was removed from the DSM-IV as a mental disorder.

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 11:56 AM
True enough. I'm rather wary of the medical establishment as a rule. It was only 32 years ago that homosexuality was removed from the DSM-IV as a mental disorder.

Oh definately! The health profession tends to have a one track mind anyway.

jedinudist
Jul 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
I just recently came out, so he does not know yet. He know's about my foreskin restoration, and even supports the idea, asking me for infomration to research it and inform other patients, so I think if the topic comes up, I will be comfortable telling him about my orientation.

Brian
Jul 5, 2006, 1:50 PM
that would be a bit useless .. it really doesnt change much if i would tell my doctor . i mean bisexuals hopefully get the same treatment as heteros or :bigrin: :tong:

i would feel pretty rude telling him smth he doesnt even wanna know . if im asked , i will answer though . My doctor knows. My 2 cents is that everyone's doctor should know - it's very relevant. Keep in mind your doctor is not just there to perform services you ask of him/her, he is your health advisor. He's supposed to be educating you and advising you - and he can't do that properly if your sex life is a mystery to him. For example your doctor will be aware of STD flare-ups and trends in your area, and he will inform you, but only if he knows your sexual behaviour. And I guess that is really what I am saying - it's important that your doctor know your sexual behaviour - so unless you are a non-practicing bisexual, you should tell your MD that you are bi and approximately your level of sexual activity. If you don't tell your doctor, he will just assume you are a monogamous heterosexual who has sex 1.4 times per week or whatever the average is, and you will miss out on a lot of important advice and information. Keep in mind there is no cure for HIV and Herpes, those mistakes are irreversible. If you have more than one partner or your obstensibly monogamous partner may have more than one partner, then you need tailored health advice to your situation.

I think it's very unwise to not tell your doctor if you are a practicing bisexual.

If nothing it's good practice for coming out - tell your doctor first, knowing that the discussion will never leave the room, as the first tiny step to coming out.

- Drew :paw:

biecnal
Jul 5, 2006, 2:39 PM
I have no problem with having my doctor know (if it is relevant).

Doctors like dentists and eye doctors, ect. need not know my sexual habits.

Lance :-) :flag3:

OralBiGuy
Jul 5, 2006, 4:29 PM
Looks like many here are in agreement regarding their family physician knowing their sexuality or sexual habits. My doctor asked me first time I met him. I told him, which enabled him to have a better idea of who I was and my sexual practices. He (my doctor) has been superb! Glad he asked; glad I told him. :)

m.in.heels&hose
Jul 5, 2006, 5:31 PM
My doctor does know, i told him and the doctor i had before him that i am bisexual, and a cross dresser (that way i dont have to clean the polish off my toe nails) and neither of them had a problem with this.
I do agree with drew, i think its important for them (doctors) to know

thank you for my :2cents: here

m.in.heels&hose

smurf111978
Jul 5, 2006, 7:04 PM
I told my Dr I'm Bi although I have not been out long and not seeing any one. I needed some advice as I already have a number of health probs (which some here know about) which may cause me some problems in the bedroom department. He was really cool about it and gave me some honest no bullsh*t advice which was a great help. I also asked him not to write my sexuality in my notes, as I dont trust what the government would do with the info. My Dr was happy to do this but asked me to remind him if I have any problems that would be relevant. I think it would be best for most bi folks to be open to their Dr.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 5, 2006, 7:44 PM
lol yeah my doctor knows.... lol when i first signed up at his surgery, he asked if I wanted to add any relevant info to my medical profile and I said yeah.... I am a part time gay / straight and a full time bisexual....he laughed and said cool
then asked if what condoms i perfer and would i like a prescription for them
I asked if that was a open question for all of his clients... and he said yes and no.... but he was asking cos i was bisexual, and getting a prescription for condoms thru him, was cheaper than buying them in the shop...lol

we have a good doctor / patient relationship and if I require a hiv/ aids test.. he states that the counselling session is not needed ( in new zealand you have a 30 minute counselling seession before a hiv / aids test, and the results of the test take 2 weeks to be available )... and he tests me not cos of my sexuality...but cos of my past ...in his eyes its not bisexual sex that places me at risk....but my former unsafe sex / drug use that places me and my partners at risk... and i have been clean now for about 5 years

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 9:03 PM
Like I said, my Doctor doesn't know, but only because I haven't met her yet. Definitely critical.