PDA

View Full Version : As I navigate, I get pop up from my anti-virous software: "Threat Detected!"

12voltman59
Sep 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox and my antiviral software is Avast----coming on here today---each time I open up something new--like to post this thread----the warning box comes up in red---Threat Detected!

I don't know if its just something my browser picked up---or if it's an issue with the site that we have been hit with something----I just thought I would bring it to everyone's attention to see if anyone else is having the same issues or not--and if so--to let Drew and his IT people know--or let me know--I've got a problem I need to deal with on my end.

I have been other places on the net today and that didn't happen at those sites.

Jobelorocks
Sep 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
I use Avast and I haven't had any problems with this site.

void()
Sep 17, 2012, 3:45 PM
Try visiting Anubis (http://anubis.iseclab.org/) and checking this site out via theirs. Clearly marked instructions there. May also consider switching to Immunet (http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/download/win32/), which is the Windows version of Clam AV, an anti-virus software used by many service providers. Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/) is also a useful tool. Not sure it is a problem with your anti-virus software. May be malware.

DuckiesDarling
Sep 17, 2012, 6:59 PM
Voltie, you can also download Hijackthis and check to see what BHO you picked up, that is the most common way that the malware will affect your browsers.

wanderingrichard
Sep 17, 2012, 7:19 PM
He may have a legitimate point about being conerned, Over the weekend, emailed Drew cuz the entire blog post tracker window at the bottom left of the home page was totally redone in Kanji or han gul. with the exception of one post in magyar. Kaspersky and SpyBot both went haywire for a few minutes, and i'm using IE9.

Voltie, there may also be an issue with your Firefox. When i'm home, my workstation/ desktop/ home server/catch everything puter runs firfox over top of win2k laid over VMWare and Ubuntu. Sometimes going to my fishing club site, will set off the alarms you mentioned. Knowing how dilligent Allen is about keeping the site and servers clean over there, again i'd say double check your mozilla install .

12voltman59
Sep 17, 2012, 8:54 PM
I am pretty sure that it was a problem on my end---I got an automated message to update my Mozilla and I did so--after that ---I didn't have the problem any more so that seems to have fixed it---after I left here and did some more browsing--I did have the same issue at other sites so I was sure it was my problem then.

Sorry for bringing up an issue that wound up being nothing--at least for others.

void()
Sep 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
I am pretty sure that it was a problem on my end---I got an automated message to update my Mozilla and I did so--after that ---I didn't have the problem any more so that seems to have fixed it---after I left here and did some more browsing--I did have the same issue at other sites so I was sure it was my problem then.

Sorry for bringing up an issue that wound up being nothing--at least for others.

No need of an apology. Better to be safe than sorry. Glad it was a minor issue nonetheless. I need to update Iceweasel, what Firefox is called in Debian Linux, same thing just lacking branding due to legal issues. I use Firefox as well though. Debian is sluggish in updating applications sometimes, trade off for stability.