PDA

View Full Version : build it and they will come.... LGBTI gamers conference

Long Duck Dong
Aug 29, 2012, 9:16 PM
over the many years I have been gaming ( I started in the late 70s with D&D and AD&D pencil and paper table top games, then started computer gaming with the sinclair, apple, trs 80 and amiga 500 ) I have seen my fair share of rude and offensive anti LGBT remarks in game, some of which would make the average LGBT person cringe and some which have resulted in real life threats against some people..... but rather than sit in a corner and complain about it, the LGBTI gamers took a positive step and looking at creating a conference for LGBTI gamers

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/7578339/LGBTI-gamers-to-get-their-own-conference

while its just in the starting stages ( yes I have donated to help them ) its a good idea as there is LGBT content in many games now, so even coders and programmers are LGBT inclusive.....so the LGBTI are becoming a very real *force * in the gaming community and that is good in that it puts pressure on game admins to clean up the issues in their games......

one of the advantages of LGBT characters in online games, is that apparently ( this is hearsay from other game moderators and admin ) is that the level of anti LGBT remarks is lower in games that feature LGBT characters, especially MMORPGs like elder scrolls: skyrim

incidently, one of my best mates has come out as gay, he, like me, still play a online game where being LGBT has become something that is acceptable, and even results in flirting in the chat... what is interesting, is that the game chatroom that was was quiet, is busy humming along again, and any anti lgbt talk is swiftly dealt with by the players, often players that him and I have fedded ( 300 day ban ) in the past.....

sometimes the best ways to *fight back * are not to fight at all......but to actually become somebody that other people like enuf to become your friends.....

DiamondDog
Sep 7, 2012, 1:20 AM
Sounds cool. :) I made a group for LGBT+H (lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and hetero) gamers. It's about RPG games, computer/video games, and card and board games join if you want to.

JuliaG
Sep 7, 2012, 11:44 AM
This is a little off topic, but I didn't think it was worth creating a new thread for this, especially since I suspect every gamer on here will check out this thread.

I have been LARPing for a while, but I have recently started playing a game based out of NJ that is the most queer & poly friendly game I have yet to encounter: http://newjersey.dystopiarisinglarp.com/

Just saying'. :)