PDA

View Full Version : Personality Wars in the Forum

Wrenn
Aug 29, 2012, 7:05 PM
Why are people allowed to wage war on personalities in the forum? It has become rediculous and certainly not in keeping with the posting rules.

MyTimeNow
Aug 29, 2012, 7:19 PM
Because some people just think they're better than others and think their opinions are better than others. Some have no respect and think rules don't apply to them. Some are just idiots and need attention and drama. Others probably can't read too well. A few rotted apples shouldn't ruin the bunch though.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 29, 2012, 7:21 PM
Wrenn, that's why I'm just starting to use ignore. Bring the fun back to this forum, keep the lighter threads going and make it just a cool place to hang again.

Cast Iron
Aug 29, 2012, 7:21 PM
Because some people just think they're better than others and think their opinions are better than others. Some have no respect and think rules don't apply to them. Some are just idiots and need attention and drama. Others probably can't read too well. A few rotted apples shouldn't ruin the bunch though.

And you've been here a week.....pretty astute.

Vuillardgr
Aug 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
I'm still hoping to engage in conversations that won't time suck us all back to elementary school recess. Yes different personalities and approaches...doesn't mean we can't talk.

Annika L
Aug 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
Yes, I don't see how we can engage in discourse when 90% of posts are accusations (or outright flames), and the main concerns of the forums are "trolls" and "sock puppets"...what's next? Flying monkeys??

falcondfw
Aug 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
Wrenn, that's why I'm just starting to use ignore. Bring the fun back to this forum, keep the lighter threads going and make it just a cool place to hang again.

At the rate things are going DD, there are going to be very few left OFF of ignore.

CelticBerserker
Aug 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
Yes, I don't see how we can engage in discourse when 90% of posts are accusations (or outright flames), and the main concerns of the forums are "trolls" and "sock puppets"...what's next? Flying monkeys??
Crab People.

Bisexual Explorer
Aug 30, 2012, 7:53 AM
Trolls and sock puppets (whatever they are...someone please inform the ignorant, but I assume they're bad) are always going to be with us. I for one find forums worthwhile enough to keep reading, replying, and occassionally starting one. I'm with DD (who's the burn recovering going) on this; ignore the trolls and sock puppets.
Bisexual Explorer

Warrior Poet 69
Aug 30, 2012, 8:23 AM
I made a promise last night that I intend to keep to the best of my ability but that being said I have always subscribed to the theory that if you do not stand up for yourself and what you believe to be right you will be walked on and taken advantage of...so for me, any attempt to ignore usually ends in failure. The ones who are clearly operating on a two year old mentality are pretty easy, the others...I must stand for what I believe. How's that quote go? All that is necessary for evil to achieve victory is for good men to do nothing?

darkeyes
Aug 30, 2012, 8:25 AM
It would be terrific if everyone did ignore the trolls.. and their puppets.. and the muppets.. boredom would soon set in and they would move on most likely.. but as we know to our cost there will always be those who will not.. and they will be in sufficiently large numbers for the troll to smile, be pleased and encouraged...and so he thrives, prospers and carries on with his merry task.. and in time, usually sooner than later others, hating what they see as the troll's vindictiveness and bile, and his dishonesty, but far from always. have become sucked in to the debate either in support and denying of the reality of the troll, or will come to defend those who are his victims and challenge his dishonesty.. the classic divide and rule and the creation of chaos, mayhem and destruction..

tenni
Aug 30, 2012, 8:40 AM
The one issue about this thread is an acknowledgement that there is may be a difference between "personality wars" and "troll wars" imo.

Distinguishing the difference may be easier posted than done.

"Why are people allowed to wage war on personalities in the forum?"

Ah, is the OP asking the same issue as posters are commenting on?

I suspect that the answer may be that when two posters break rule 2, they begin to take it to the personal level and not stay focused on the "issue". They "lose it". drew finds it difficult to moderate the site or refuses to moderate the site. These decisions are difficult to determine an action or consequence for posting that another poster is an "idiot" etc. Sometimes, other posters seem to tolerate certain comments because they support/emphatize with the poster who made them and ignore the crossing the line from "issue" to "personal". They post nothing if a "friend" calls some a name. At other times, a poster may remind the original poster who crossed the line. That poster ignores the warning. Drew is not able to catch and read every single thread comment.

Well, that is my guess anyway.

csrakate
Aug 30, 2012, 10:06 AM
I posted this in the troll thread but wanted to make sure it was also seen here:

http://youtu.be/FMEe7JqBgvg

Trolls are a fact of internet life, we can deal with them in several ways. My personal fave is just to ignore them after you respond once. No point in trying to open a closed mind or have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. :2cents:

I watched this video and I must say I saw the error of my ways.....I engaged....I allowed....I am sorry!!!!! I should have known better than to let drugstore get to me...I should have allowed him to piss and moan and say whatever he wanted...because I KNOW THE TRUTH and I know who I really am......and if I am worried about my reputation on this site, I simply have to rely on my past interactions to combat whatever it is he says about me. I know I don't censor bisexual men...I know I am not against bisexual men and I know I am not a kept woman....LOL....

So...my apologies for losing my cool.....and for my part in this mess. I should have known better.

Kate

jamieknyc
Aug 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
It would be terrific if everyone did ignore the trolls.. and their puppets.. and the muppets.. boredom would soon set in and they would move on most likely.. but as we know to our cost there will always be those who will not.. and they will be in sufficiently large numbers for the troll to smile, be pleased and encouraged...and so he thrives, prospers and carries on with his merry task.. and in time, usually sooner than later others, hating what they see as the troll's vindictiveness and bile, and his dishonesty, but far from always. have become sucked in to the debate either in support and denying of the reality of the troll, or will come to defend those who are his victims and challenge his dishonesty.. the classic divide and rule and the creation of chaos, mayhem and destruction..
Well said. Trolls feed on the attention.

Annika L
Aug 30, 2012, 8:55 PM
I posted this in the troll thread but wanted to make sure it was also seen here:

I watched this video and I must say I saw the error of my ways.....I engaged....I allowed....I am sorry!!!!! I should have known better than to let drugstore get to me...I should have allowed him to piss and moan and say whatever he wanted...because I KNOW THE TRUTH and I know who I really am......and if I am worried about my reputation on this site, I simply have to rely on my past interactions to combat whatever it is he says about me. I know I don't censor bisexual men...I know I am not against bisexual men and I know I am not a kept woman....LOL....

So...my apologies for losing my cool.....and for my part in this mess. I should have known better.

Kate

Love ya, Kate!

sodacan3
Aug 31, 2012, 9:05 AM
I have been on many sites where there is a rollercoaster kind of activity. At the start, the forum activity is kind and insightful and fun. Then enter the trolls. They ruin the community and many of the good people leave. Then the trolls, having no one to spill their bile on leave, and then good people come back in. It is like the tides, high tides with good people and low tides when the scum gets washed up. I have learned to be patient on great forums like this one and I wait for the high tide to return.

Annika L
Sep 1, 2012, 12:04 AM
I have been on many sites where there is a rollercoaster kind of activity. At the start, the forum activity is kind and insightful and fun. Then enter the trolls. They ruin the community and many of the good people leave. Then the trolls, having no one to spill their bile on leave, and then good people come back in. It is like the tides, high tides with good people and low tides when the scum gets washed up. I have learned to be patient on great forums like this one and I wait for the high tide to return.

Well spotted and well said...especially for a soda can, from which I don't usually expect such heights of wisdom.

pepperjack
Sep 1, 2012, 6:08 PM
Well spotted and well said...especially for a soda can, from which I don't usually expect such heights of wisdom.

Was the subtly sarcastic, ridiculing shot at his username really necessary? I mean seriously....either you respect what he posted, or you don't. Doesn't this illustrate how conflicts arise here?

Mulder
Sep 1, 2012, 6:15 PM
Was the subtly sarcastic, ridiculing shot at his username really necessary? I mean seriously....either you respect what he posted, or you don't. Doesn't this illustrate how conflicts arise here?

BINGO! Reading over the drama of late in the threads, that's exactly how it starts. I would not wait for the poster to see the reason in your retort though.