PDA

View Full Version : YO DREW ! .....spam alert

**Peg**
Aug 23, 2012, 2:41 PM
major spam in the blogs....can the forum be far behind? :yikes2:
sent you a pm about this in case you didn't see the forum

tenni
Aug 23, 2012, 5:35 PM
I think that I've noticed spam in the blogs a lot since blogs were created? Funny, that the spam goes to the blogs more than the threads? Are things set up to protect the threads more drew? Thanks though drew as you seem to get rid of the spam fairly quickly.

Brian
Aug 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
Between 50 and 100 spammers try to register on the site every day. We have protections in place, but about 1 jerk every day or two gets through our shields.

I am not sure why they zero in on the blogs. The blogs are new and they may assume that spam protections there are not as extensive (I will not say if they are right or wrong).

I may add more spam protections to the blogs in the round of changes that we are doing this fall - maybe for example, limit blogs to folks who have been members for at least a week or two, that will mess the spammers up.

- Drew :paw:

tenni
Aug 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
That idea is good. It won't stop spam where they wait that time but it does go crazy sometimes...with five or more spam posts in a row. Limit the number of blog posts within X hours/or days? just an idea.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Hmm limiting til they have been members is a great idea.. where did I hear that before??? heheh. but seriously I try to check them every day and hit the spam report button when I see them but sometimes they get creative and it takes a bit to notice that it's actually spam when we are spamming but in a good way ourselves :D

baachus
Aug 28, 2012, 5:01 PM
135+ pages and counting for the latest batch.