PDA

View Full Version : About the site changes we made earlier this week...

Brian
May 4, 2012, 10:02 AM
Some of you may have noticed, we updated the site on Sunday and Monday. I have been waiting to work out the bugs before sharing the changes.

The changes:
- We improved the way we handle memberships of couples. You now select the gender of each person and the type of couple is formed automatically from that. This is better than the old way of selecting the gender of each person and then also selecting if you are a couple and if so what type (M/F, M/M etc...). So now any type of couple is possible.
- We moved Kinsey Rating (of each person) from the Personal Ads to the main Profiles. So now all members will have a Kinsey Rating, not just those with a Personal Ad. And we fixed the Kinsey Rating numbers to match the official scientific standard (thanks again to whomever pointed that out).
- We have added new fields to the Personal Ads:

Type of relationship desired
Ethnicity (of each person)
Height (of each person)
Dislikes

- We have broken the old main body of the ad into two new fields:

Describe What You Are Looking For
Describe Yourselves

- And changed some of the old fields:

More options for "body type"

- Changed appearance of the Personal Ads to make them more readable and pleasant to look at.
- Fanclub Members Personal Ads' appear first in the search results.
- Fixed the way some Areas (the more complex ones) are displayed to make them easier to read and more clear as to what cities the area includes - this is a work in progress, not yet done.
- Made the links to the Edit Profile and Edit Personal Ad pages in the Control Panel more prominent as these are the two main pages (besides Private Message) in user Control Panels.

The next step is to improve the Groups and Albums features. Then probably another round of improving our Personal Ads even more, including a new feature "Travel Desk" for those of you who like to meet others while travelling/vacationing.

So, especially if you have a Personal Ad, I recommend you look at your Profile and Personal Ad because they probably both need tweaking after the changes.

To change your Profile: http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile)
To change your Personal Ad: http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=editpersonalad (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=editpersonalad)

As always, constructive feedback is most welcome.

- Drew :paw:

M Likes Both
May 4, 2012, 12:20 PM
Looking forward to the "Travel Desk"

falcondfw
May 4, 2012, 12:37 PM
Drew,
I just tried updating my personal ad information and I hit save and ... it reset everything to blanks or defaults (Yes, I am sure I hit save). I am afraid to try updating profile info.

Brian
May 4, 2012, 3:35 PM
Thanks falcon. I haven't been able to duplicate that bug yet, but I will keep trying.

- Drew

daldav
May 4, 2012, 3:44 PM
Drew, I just updated my profile, and hit save, it tells me I didn't enter all required fields, so I look and I had done it correctly. No matter what I do it won't let me move on, so I don't have an ad.

daldav
May 4, 2012, 3:48 PM
Sorry Drew, I still have my old ad it didn't update. I'll wait until the bugs are gone and try again. Thanks, Dave

falcondfw
May 4, 2012, 7:24 PM
Drew,
I just tried it again. I went in through the My Profile link from the home page. Then, when my profile comes up, I click on the edit personal ad link. I make some changes, hit save, and everything appears like it is saving fine. But when it returns to the edit personal ad page, all the choices are either blanks or defaults and the free form text fields are blank. If I leave the site, clear cache, and come back in, everything is still blank or default.

void()
May 4, 2012, 7:53 PM
Best of luck, Drew. *hugs* Run it slow and steady like a creek to the sea.

Brian
May 4, 2012, 8:29 PM
Drew,
I just tried it again. I went in through the My Profile link from the home page. Then, when my profile comes up, I click on the edit personal ad link. I make some changes, hit save, and everything appears like it is saving fine. But when it returns to the edit personal ad page, all the choices are either blanks or defaults and the free form text fields are blank. If I leave the site, clear cache, and come back in, everything is still blank or default.

Wow, weird, because I logged in as you and tried repeatedly and couldnt`get the same result.

What browser are you using?

- Drew

ps. Thanks for the detailed description of your test, it helps... I am trying some different things now.

Brian
May 4, 2012, 8:45 PM
Drew, I just updated my profile, and hit save, it tells me I didn't enter all required fields, so I look and I had done it correctly. No matter what I do it won't let me move on, so I don't have an ad. Yes, that was another bug I found while trying to duplicate what falcon was experiencing and that one (I think) has been fixed by the programmer, but I am still testing it. I was able to change your ad no problem when logged is as you, so you should be good to go - I am not 100% sure about all cases however. Still testing.

edit/update: Yes, I think we are fine now on that bug - I tested several users.

falcondfw
May 4, 2012, 10:16 PM
I'm a web developer. Been through the ringer a few times on debugging problems. I'm using Chrome 18.0.1025.168 m on Windows 7.
Could it be a VBulletin bug?
Drew, it worked in Firefox. I think we found a compatibility bug for the VBulletin guys to fix.

**Peg**
May 5, 2012, 7:23 PM
OOO I like the forum slider on this page http://www.bisexual.com/forum/forum.php
yay more real estate :)

DuckiesDarling
May 5, 2012, 10:33 PM
Drew, tried updating my profile but there is no box for the describe yourself field. I was gonna move the majority of my ad up there and remove the looking for field as I'm not looking for anything, I found it :)

Brian
May 8, 2012, 10:45 AM
Drew, tried updating my profile but there is no box for the describe yourself field. I was gonna move the majority of my ad up there and remove the looking for field as I'm not looking for anything, I found it :) I thought I replied to your post DD - I guess I just thought of it and didn't actually do it. That bug is affecting Chrome and IE users, maybe others, but not Firefox. The programmer expects to get to it in the next couple of days.

It seems to be intermittent, so the workaround is to refresh the page a few times until the editor box appears for both fields.

Thanks for the info and feedback and support everyone!

ps. FalconDFW, I still haven't been able to duplicate your bug no matter what I try. Do you have difficulty staying logged in on the site by chance? I'm wondering if it is a cookies issue.

falcondfw
May 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
No Drew. No problems at all logging in or staying logged in. I just have problems with editing profile or ad. I think it is probably a compatibility bug in vbulletin or tinyMCE (it looks like that is the editor Vbulletin or you use). It does not surprise me since there is a lot of javascript and css involved in a site like this. I have run into a lot of compatibility bugs over the years with both javascript and css. No big deal. I just use firefox.

Brian
May 8, 2012, 12:10 PM
No Drew. No problems at all logging in or staying logged in. I just have problems with editing profile or ad. I think it is probably a compatibility bug in vbulletin or tinyMCE (it looks like that is the editor Vbulletin or you use). It does not surprise me since there is a lot of javascript and css involved in a site like this. I have run into a lot of compatibility bugs over the years with both javascript and css. No big deal. I just use firefox. I'll keep trying to figure it out, but it is a very tricky one to get a handle on so far. Thanks for the info.