PDA

View Full Version : Order of Personal Ads search results

Brian
Feb 25, 2012, 8:04 PM
By popular request (I got a few emails), ads are now sorted by the time the member last visited the site. So you visit the site and you move to the top of the list. I'm told this was how it was on the old site (although I thought it was by order that the ad was last updated). This is for both the homepage and the main Search Personal Ads page (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/searchads.php).

- Drew :paw:

tenni
Feb 26, 2012, 10:12 AM
"I'm told this was how it was on the old site (although I thought it was by order that the ad was last updated)."

I think that you were correct about the ads that appear are the ones that the member updates. I know one person in my area that constantly "updated" his ad so that it showed all the time. Now, every time that you come on to the site your profile shows whether you want it to show or not. Those that are on the site the most frequent will have their ad visible all the time. I don't understand that need and really don't like it. You can not please everyone though.

csrakate
Feb 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
"I'm told this was how it was on the old site (although I thought it was by order that the ad was last updated)."

I think that you were correct about the ads that appear are the ones that the member updates. I know one person in my area that constantly "updated" his ad so that it showed all the time. Now, every time that you come on to the site your profile shows whether you want it to show or not. Those that are on the site the most frequent will have their ad visible all the time. I don't understand that need and really don't like it. You can not please everyone though.

I have just now noticed this feature. Seems I am going to spend a lot of time at the top of the list since I am a frequent visitor. Not sure I particularly like being featured as "updated" on the profile list. I visit this site several times a day to check in with friends and to read the forum. I would hate for people to assume that I constantly log in to update my ad or to troll for a hook up. (Not that there would be anything wrong with that!)!:tongue:

csrakate
Feb 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
By popular request (I got a few emails), ads are now sorted by the time the member last visited the site. So you visit the site and you move to the top of the list. I'm told this was how it was on the old site (although I thought it was by order that the ad was last updated). This is for both the homepage and the main Search Personal Ads page (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/searchads.php).

You are correct about that, Drew. It was by order that the ad was last updated. I think that is adequate. And if someone desires to be featured at the top more often, all they have to do is make an update. Otherwise, the actual NEW profiles will get lost in the shuffle.

Brian
Feb 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
I see your points tenni and csrarake. Maybe I am trying to be too responsive to feedback - to the point of not thinking all of it through. I think maybe you are both right and it should be ordered by when the Ad was last updated. I think maybe I will change it back, again. The programmer is going to think I am losing my mind... and I have been trying to hide that fact from him. :)

Thinking...

Thinking some more...

But maybe I will wait just a bit and get more feedback from folks... there is a certain simplicity to rewarding frequent visitors with lots of Ad views. And also I wonder if an Ad for a member who has visited most recently will be more relevant to members searching the ads - the member who has that ad is more likely to be interested in meeting I am thinking. What do others think?

csrakate
Feb 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
I see your points tenni and csrarake. Maybe I am trying to be too responsive to feedback - to the point of not thinking all of it through. I think maybe you are both right and it should be ordered by when the Ad was last updated. I think maybe I will change it back, again. The programmer is going to think I am losing my mind... and I have been trying to hide that fact from him. :)

Thinking...

Thinking some more...

But maybe I will wait just a bit and get more feedback from folks... there is a certain simplicity to rewarding frequent visitors with lots of Ad views. What do others think?

You may be inviting more debate regarding the personal ad vs. profile issue. If someone prefers to use this site as a community as opposed to a dating site, they may be put off by having their profile on such prominent display. I do think that you are on the right track with rewarding frequent visitors, but it wouldn't be in the best interest of the site if it alienated others. I personally wouldn't let it keep me away, but I do believe that there is a strong contingent of others who wish to remain a bit more low profile.

I feel for you, Drew. You are trying so hard to please everyone. Sometimes you just have to do what you feel best and what you feel is best for the site. The rest of us will just have to adjust. And those of us who value this site will certainly be willing to hang in there while the changes are made....and appreciate your efforts as you make them....and continue to use this site because we need it.

tenni
Feb 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
Well, Drew wait if you must. I don't understand the reason for that section really? I accepted it as a means of drawing attention to your profile. I thought that its purpose was to draw attention to new members for anyone interested. It became a way to draw attention by updating your profile too. CsKate and myself don't want to draw attention to our profile as in my case I'm mouthy enough with my opinions on the forums to get attention...lol

What was your original purpose of having this section? If you "fix" search modes will it still be needed?

**Peg**
Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 AM
I'm with kate and tenni... I would prefer my ad is not at the top of the heap after each visit. After updating, yes, but not after logging in to reply to a private message ! (for example).

tenni
Feb 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Drew
I just checked that section. Are you sure that it doesn't bump up your ad every time that you post as well as when you sign in?

Brian
Feb 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
Drew
I just checked that section. Are you sure that it doesn't bump up your ad every time that you post as well as when you sign in? Well, it is based on your "Last Activity" time (see your Profile). That may be when you last posted. It is probably simply the last time the session cookie was set, which is when you login or every 15 minutes that you are logged in. If I described it as "when you log in" then I was inaccurate/wrong.

Brian
Feb 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
An older member was telling me that NEW and/or UPDATED profiles were tagged with a yellow banner denoting that they were a new member. I didn't see that on mine or any new members here in the NJ area. Possibly you could incorporate that yellow tag again and it would be a cure for both new membrers, updated profiles and still keeping the most recently visited member to the site. Also, being that the members list would be constantly scrolling by members logging on, maybe the yellow tag would stay with the new and updated profiles for say ten log-ons before it disappears. I think you are right. Good suggestion. I'll see what i can do.