PDA

View Full Version : Time-Outs

æonpax
Feb 21, 2012, 8:35 AM
For some of us, being online is a balancing act and more often than not, I may be immediately called away from what I am writing here, only to return and find that I've been booted off and what I have written (even with the auto-save) is gone/incomplete.

Extending the time-out maybe?

keefer10.7
Feb 21, 2012, 9:14 AM
I feel your pain on this one. After spending about 20 minutes typing out a response, when I went to post it, I found that the whole thing was gone. Drew had suggested making sure that my cookies for the site were turned on. I don't believe that was the problem, but now you're the second person to have this happen to.

darkeyes
Feb 21, 2012, 9:33 AM
Ive not had a lot of probs on this, Keefer but have had some.. so Ive been copying and pasting when necessary just in case...

Brian
Feb 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Making sure the "Remember Me" login option is selected should help, and confirming that you are accepting cookies should definitely fix the issue. Everyone who has had this problem over the years is restricting cookies one way or another either by not selecting Remember Me and/or by blocking cookies.

4332If you "lose" a post this might help... I am not really sure about the details of how the auto-save works (that is, it may use cookies and therefore be useless in these situations), but see the screenshot attached. If you lost a post you should be able to return to the same page and click on the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" button in the bottom-left (I know it barely looks like a button) and you will get your lost post back.

I hope that helps.

- Drew :paw:

Edit: I will run a little test today to see if the Auto-save/Restore works after a timeout. I'll let you know.

Brian
Feb 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
I should maybe elaborate... the session timeout for the site is set at 15 minutes. It is problematic to extend that. It messes up the Who's Online and also when threads are marked as "Read". You've probably noticed that both of those are not entirely accurate, that is, not "real time". It gets worse the more we extend the sessions timeout. For this reason the folks who make the framework software we use on the back-end highly recommend NOT extending sessions beyond 15 minutes.

tester2
Feb 21, 2012, 1:29 PM
Testing of auto-save and timeout features....

tester2
Feb 21, 2012, 1:31 PM
This is Drew. I had no trouble posting the above test after leaving the computer idle for 2 hours. The system did not ask me to log in again.

I had "Remember Me" selected at log in. And, of course, I am accepting cookies from bisexual.com. I highly recommend you do at least the latter.

æonpax
Feb 23, 2012, 6:01 PM
"Remember Me?" works for me. Thank you.