PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Threads

Brian
Feb 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
I mentioned this on the old forum a few weeks back... I am trying to get approval to accept credit cards on the site so we can have a "Fans of Bisexual.com" club. These folks would pay a small fee and have some enhanced site features such as unlimited views of Personal Ad videos and so on. Don't worry, I intend to keep the user experience for regular/free members very much the same. It's just that I need to find a way to get some income from this site. It has been a real problem because traditional advertising programs will not approve us because of the adult content, that is why we had to stop Choices the bi comic and the professional (paid) articles.

Anyway, credit card companies are uber-sensitive. So a whole lot of threads that mention things like bathroom-talk and non-consensual sex have been moved into a moderation queue (cannot be seen). Many will come back after I go through each post.

Even the super-popular "Kink Test" thread is invisible for now.

So please don't freak out. We will get through this and most of the threads will be back.

- Drew :paw:

ps. I'll probably even delete this post by the end of the day.

**Peg**
Feb 20, 2012, 1:59 PM
Drew, I'd be happy to donate even if I don't use the enhanced features. I'd be happy to donate even more if you can find a way to make the default font in the chatroom bigger... I simply can't see it at night....had to leave early last night because of it :( ... we even had an optometrist in there and he was having troubles viewing the small font too ! It's not just me.

curious married m
Feb 20, 2012, 7:07 PM
Drew, I'd be happy to donate even if I don't use the enhanced features. I'd be happy to donate even more if you can find a way to make the default font in the chatroom bigger... I simply can't see it at night....had to leave early last night because of it :( ... we even had an optometrist in there and he was having troubles viewing the small font too ! It's not just me.

LOL Peg, I kept telling ya it's the contrast not the size that counts. And girls always say that bigger isn't always better. LOL
However Kate said my taste for bigger toys was warped. :tong:;)

void()
Mar 11, 2012, 2:43 PM
It has been a real problem because traditional advertising programs will not approve us because of the adult content, that is why we had to stop Choices the bi comic and the professional (paid) articles.

Hopefully, you won't take offense at me breaking this down as a problem solving schematic.
It normally helps to bring light to possible solutions by drafting out such a schematic.

We start with some really simple basic facts.

1. The site is not a traditional site.

2. Continuing the site requires revenue for expenses.

Then we address each fact and toss ideas at it. This is often dubbed brainstorming.

1. It isn't a traditional site.

Q1. Why use traditional advertisers?

We already know the mainstream fears / repels away from non-traditonal sites. That's why they are mainstream and traditional. They can use traditional advertisers.

Q2. Why not use untradional advertisers?

I'm sure Feedoe could use some promotion, Adam & Eve probably could as well. We're a site that is themed in human sexuality. It would make sense to have adverts for human sexuality products, services. You could even provide PSAs for local free clinics, doctors and so on. Doctors might even pay for promo spots.

2. The site needs revenue to cover expenses.

Q1. Have the ideas above been considered?

This was just an example which included my quick brainstorming. I'm sure you and others are far wiser, can achieve better results. Hope this was helpful and not taken as offensive. No offense was intended.

falcondfw
Mar 11, 2012, 3:36 PM
Void,
I don't think getting adult or "sexually themed" advertisers would be too much of a problem. There is a decent size membership here and a lot of them seem pretty loyal to the site.
I think the main problem is the skittish credit card companies. Especially things like paypal and stuff. However, and Drew, please forgive me if you already know this, there are companies that do credit card processing and specialize in "adult" sites. Of course, I bet they charge an arm and a leg for processing (captive market). One of the companies is CCBill. They also offer the option of paying through your phone bill.
Drew,
If you want more information on processors that specialize in the "adult" market, send me a message. I have been a web developer for 12 years. I'd be glad to give you the information I have.

void()
Mar 11, 2012, 6:25 PM
That's why I suggested letting the product/service sellers buying ads directly. It eliminates relying upon the credit card companies for revenue, and the hassle of further regulating content here. That is already done via the advertisers.

12voltman59
Mar 11, 2012, 9:29 PM
To Drew--I would look at the billing system that a site like Squirt.org uses--they are from Toronto and man----they have some pretty raunchy sex talk, activity, etc that gets posted on there and the credit card company they use sure doesn't seem to have any qualms about the content on that site---same goes for a few others like Men4Sexnow.com and Dick.net.

Just sayin'

Peace out!

Brian
Mar 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Hi all,

See this thread for a bit from me on this topic: http://www.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?12731-Premium-site

And here is some additional info...

First, thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate them.

1. We have a billing solution for a Premium Membership. Visa approved the site last week. It is CCBill which someone mentioned. See that thread above for more about the Premium Membership. The important take-away point is this: the regular/free membership will be substantially the same as it is now. There will be some roll-back of features, but only a little bit. And it is a work in progress so I am not even sure what they are yet.

2. Advertising has been a real problem for bisexual.com. The only thing that worked well was Google Adwords until we got cut off for all the naughty talk (I should have read that terms of service more closely I guess). All other ad solutions work poorly. Even ThreePillows.com which should be a perfect fit doesn't bring in a whole lot of cash. I think the reason is that forum sites need contextual advertising solutions - so for example a thread about kink, gets ads displayed for BDSM services. The cross-dressing group gets ads for lingerie and so on. And there is no contextual ad solution for adult sites (great business idea: START ONE!)

BTW, void_dweller (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/member.php?66358-void_dweller), Adam and Eve don't seem to want us as an affiliate. I applied and never heard back, even after a follow-up email. They don't seem to want us, or maybe they are not taking any affiliates at this time. It is too bad because they would be a great fit for the site seeing as we have so many male and female members. And I've never heard of Feedoe - I will look into it.

So the current plan is two-fold. 1 - Continue to experiment with different ad solutions and affiliate programs. 2 - Try the Premium Membership thing.

But I said in the other thread... the whole site is a work in progress. Nothing is written in stone.

- Drew :paw:

void()
Mar 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
And I've never heard of Feedoe - I will look into it.

Correction on my part, it's Feeldoe. ask CsrKate about it. She first caught my attention with it. If I were into phalic toys, looks like a good product. Sorry to hear Adam & Eve are sticks in the mud so to speak. Would have thought a new market source would be good for them and readily accepted.

joey3131
Mar 12, 2012, 8:09 PM
Drew, As long as chat is free, you won't lose any members. You'll definitely see membership, and therefore potential revenue, plummet when chat becomes premium. Private Messages and IMs are also key things I love about this site that have kept me coming back for xxx years.