PDA

View Full Version : Screen is larger than monitor

David Parsons
Feb 6, 2012, 8:17 AM
I need to shuttle back and forth to view entire screen, no problems with any other site(s)

33ford
Feb 6, 2012, 9:52 AM
i have a 19 in monitor have the same problem real pain in ass

Brian
Feb 6, 2012, 9:54 AM
ok, I am going to look into this today.

Anyone know how many pixels wide a page should be (max) to fit on a 19" monitor? Our new pages here are 1080 pixels.

- Drew :paw:

Brian
Feb 6, 2012, 10:09 AM
Going to answer my own question...

It looks like most 19" monitors have a resolution of 1024 pixels width. So after I fix a bug in our admin panel I will try cutting our pages down from 1080 px to 1000 px. If you are using Windows and you have your Taskbar on the side you will likely still have to horizontal scroll, but you probably should have your Taskbar at the bottom in that case. More and more websites are feeling compelled, like me, to fill the space of these extra wide HD monitors. But I think 1000 px wide will be a good compromise.

stu.gottz
Feb 6, 2012, 10:23 AM
Short answer is the size of the monitor does not matter. It is the screen resolution of the viewer that does. The most popular\common screen resolution these days is 1024 x 768 which means that while in theory a page built to 1000 pixels wide will be fine there are concerns with scroll bars and browser frames that may result in some people still having to scroll. My suggestion is build your page to 850 or 900 pixels wide so that even those with a higher resolution do not have to maximize their browser to view the full page. A good source of user stats is available here http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

welickit
Feb 6, 2012, 9:51 PM
The user resolution is the problem. Monitor setting alone has nothing to do with it. If the graphics card won't make the trip everything is going to be huge and you spend the day scrolling. One of my older laptops has this problem. I can't set the resolution higher so I scroll. My other systems have no problem with the site.

æonpax
Feb 7, 2012, 5:44 AM
The user resolution is the problem. Monitor setting alone has nothing to do with it. If the graphics card won't make the trip everything is going to be huge and you spend the day scrolling. One of my older laptops has this problem. I can't set the resolution higher so I scroll. My other systems have no problem with the site.

I disagree. I run the latest version of Firefox with the native resolution of 1024 x 768 and this is the only site, let me emphasis ONLY site, I visit where the vertical size of the page runs off the screen. I've tweaked my own settings multiple times and ran a few browser tests according to "Web Standards Project" and I am in complete compliance.

Brian
Feb 7, 2012, 7:21 AM
I didn't get a chance to work on this last night. Am going to work on it today. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Brian
Feb 7, 2012, 8:14 AM
I adjusted the width of the site from 1080px to 960px. Is that better for those who were having trouble before?

æonpax
Feb 7, 2012, 8:23 AM
I adjusted the width of the site from 1080px to 960px. Is that better for those who were having trouble before?- Drew :paw:

It worked. Thank you.

**Peg**
Feb 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
sure is better ! thanks Drew

Brian
Feb 7, 2012, 7:07 PM
What about the chat though? I notice it is now wider than the page? Is that okay or is that creating problems for people with smaller resolutions when chatting? I can cut down the chat window too, but space is at a premium there and don't want to do it if I don't have to.