PDA

View Full Version : No Friends

Caaveman
Feb 4, 2012, 4:59 PM
I noticed that everyone that I had as a friend is not appearing in my friends box. It's empty.

welickit
Feb 4, 2012, 5:10 PM
Caaveman this is something that comes and goes and I am sure it is being worked on. Your friends didn't abandon you and they will return.

Caaveman
Feb 5, 2012, 12:17 PM
LOL, thanks Welicit, for the vote of confidence. I just figured it was one of those small glitches that would be fixed. I was just trying to do my part by stating the fact that there seemed to be a problem with it.

curious married m
Feb 5, 2012, 1:34 PM
You might try this. I viewed my profile, then hit friends and it brought up my old list of friends. But then you need to check and save the box in the bottom right corner of each one so it will contact and request that person to befriend you. Alas some of my friends from years back no longer come on the site so I did not try to make a request.

Caaveman
Feb 6, 2012, 9:02 PM
Thanks CMM for the advice, I did try going to my profile/ friends tab and it was blank. Oh well maybe it will all work out in the end. LOL

curious married m
Feb 6, 2012, 11:13 PM
Caveman,

I noticed one further step. After you got to the blank screen, there should be up in the upper right corner an option to edit friends list. That is when the old list came up when you hit that option even when the screen was blank.

33ford
Feb 7, 2012, 3:25 PM
no more buddy list or buddies hi-lighted on people on line

Brian
Feb 7, 2012, 7:05 PM
no more buddy list or buddies hi-lighted on people on lineThe latter is coming (back) soon.

Regarding the former, I need some help, perhaps some of you could help me out...

I have heard reports that peoples' Friends list is missing or empty. Others have said it is there, but in a "request state" so you have re-approve your friends by going Control Panel > Friends and Contacts (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist) and then your old friends are in the bottom section and you select them (by checking the box in their avatar) and then hit Approve. I can't test this because all my test accounts had no friends on the old site. Could some of you check out your Friends and Contacts Control Panel (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist) and let me know if your friends are there waiting for approval?

Thx.

- Drew :paw:

Brian
Feb 7, 2012, 7:16 PM
Caveman,

You might try this. I viewed my profile, then hit friends and it brought up my old list of friends. But then you need to check and save the box in the bottom right corner of each one so it will contact and request that person to befriend you. Alas some of my friends from years back no longer come on the site so I did not try to make a request.

I noticed one further step. After you got to the blank screen, there should be up in the upper right corner an option to edit friends list. That is when the old list came up when you hit that option even when the screen was blank.

Thanks cmm and caveman. I am curious if "curious married m"'s workaround above is working for folks. Is it recovering old Friends? Let me know.

If it helps, this is the page cmm is referring to: http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist

You can reach it, as he instructed, by going to your own Profile > Friends tab > Edit Your Friends List
Or,
the same place by a different route: Control Panel > Friends and Contacts
Or direct by the url I mention above (in orange).

note: merged two similar threads

Caaveman
Feb 8, 2012, 12:10 AM
Well Drew, I have to say that the route around that CMM added did not work for me, but MarieDelta sent me a friends request, and by clicking on the shortcut in my email it brought them all up and then all I had to do was click on all my old friends, and send the friend request (or I guess that's what it did).

Up Date: Oh and I just realized that it didn't bring up "all" of my old friends. But it did most of them. So to any and every one that was my friend.... If you remember me and we were friends then by all means send me a new friends request.

Brian
Feb 9, 2012, 2:03 PM
Okay, I think we have a handle on the new Friends system... it is complicated because the new Friends rules are different than the old ones. In the new system User1 has to send a Friend request to User2. Publicly, neither will show up on the others' Friend list until User2 approves the new Friend request (User2 gets a notification they have Friend Request pending).

BUT User2 will appear on User1's Control Panel as a Contact with the notation "Friendship Requested" until User2 approves the Friend request.

To further complicated things there are Contacts and there are Friends. To be honest I don't know how a person becomes a Contact? There is probably some point in the messaging system when you can select "Add the person as a Contact."

See this screenshot for how your Control Panel indicates Contacts, Friends (requested), and Friends (for real):

The old system may have been different... Friends (called "Buddies" I think) on the old system were one way - you just added a person as a Buddy - no approval from the other side requested.

So we have run a script that has sent a Friendship request to everyone who was on your old Buddy list. If they approve it, then you will each become a Friend of the other. You may NOT get a notification of these special script-generated Friend Requests, so you may want to check the Friends and Contacts portion of your Control Panel (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist) to see if you have Friendship Requests pending.

Let's see if that facilitates bringing back old Friends. :three:

Caaveman
Feb 10, 2012, 7:00 PM
Drew, I just want to say thanks for your efforts in this and all the other matters at hand. I appreciate you and all the hard work you have done and are doing. And I appreciate the sight and all that you have shared with, and let us have use of for free here.
Sincerely, Will

Brian
Feb 10, 2012, 7:42 PM
Thx cm. It is my pleasure.

orallybi4cpl
Feb 10, 2012, 8:24 PM
could you make it so people can't see the friends of others.. I believe that should be PRIVATE
otherwise people who would like to be friends and mark themselves as such with certain people
would be reluctant to do so.. because it's really nobody else's business who we choose as friends.
The old site didn't list a person's friends as public info.. it was privy to the person
perhaps makes the other person that has been friended have access to who has friended them would be nice
but again.. privately. thanks

The latter is coming (back) soon.

Regarding the former, I need some help, perhaps some of you could help me out...

I have heard reports that peoples' Friends list is missing or empty. Others have said it is there, but in a "request state" so you have re-approve your friends by going Control Panel > Friends and Contacts (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist) and then your old friends are in the bottom section and you select them (by checking the box in their avatar) and then hit Approve. I can't test this because all my test accounts had no friends on the old site. Could some of you check out your Friends and Contacts Control Panel (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist) and let me know if your friends are there waiting for approval?

Thx.

baachus
Feb 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
could you make it so people can't see the friends of others.. I believe that should be PRIVATE
otherwise people who would like to be friends and mark themselves as such with certain people
would be reluctant to do so.. because it's really nobody else's business who we choose as friends.
The old site didn't list a person's friends as public info.. it was privy to the person
perhaps makes the other person that has been friended have access to who has friended them would be nice
but again.. privately. thanks

In your control panel on the left hand sidebar is 'profile privacy'. There you can change the settings as to who can view the various parts of your profile. You can limit it to everyone, registered members, friends. This won't affect what others do with their profiles though. Your friends list can be set to 'friends only' but your friends could have it set for 'registered members'.

orallybi4cpl
Feb 11, 2012, 2:21 AM
the profile setting should also have besides everyone, registered members, friends, etc.. it should have
'just myself' only I can see the particular data

drew?

Brian
Feb 11, 2012, 6:36 AM
the profile setting should also have besides everyone, registered members, friends, etc.. it should have
'just myself' only I can see the particular data

drew? I see. Unfortunately the base software we use does not allow that. Their concept of a Friend is a public declaration - its the new social media way.

What you are looking to do is more-or-less what the system calls a Contact. A Contact is completely private. You add one from a forum thread by single-clicking on their username beside one of their posts and selecting "Add as a Contact". Or you can change a Friend to a Contact from the Friends and Contacts Control Panel (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist) - you unselect the Friends checkbox and leave the Contacts checkbox selected and hit Save: see the thumbnail in this post (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?12486-No-Friends&p=222239&viewfull=1#post222239). You can also add another user to your Contacts from various other places on the site (Blogs for example) by clicking "+Add as Friend", and then on the next page, unselect the Send Friend Request option - this makes them a Contact (private) but not a Friend (public).

So using the Contacts functionality will give you the functionality you are looking for, but they won't be called an official Friend.

SexyBiMakayla
May 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
I dont have any friends on here and i am single too

maxtor
May 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
no problem, i am always open to new people, bi or not...very friendly, easy to talk to, lots of life experience, retired military, 60, single, virile, slightly disable due to RA, down to earth, raised redneck country boy in northern arkansas but refined due to 26 years of army, and just an all around nice guy...sure not pushy...very open minded to anything. maybe a bit old for you but i sure can add advise if nothing else.